Chainstay guard, pegless rider somebody get me Ticaleb

Related:
Create New Tag

9/14/2015 7:19 AM

Whats someting i could use on my chainstay to protect it during pedal grinds and other pegless tricks any ideas.

|

9/14/2015 8:00 AM

I zip tied slices of an animal butcher sleeve and that protected it against super rough ledges.. Use the thickest ties you can find

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

9/14/2015 9:14 AM

2 Hoseclamps or cable clamps (not too tight) and part of a PVC pipe (get the black, it is less hardened than the white and handles impact better-great for homemade plastic sleeves for pegs too) and clamp it on. You could also use zipties, but hoseclamps etc are more durable. I would suggest putting some old tube or tire between the PVC and frame for protection.

Alternately, get a steel pipe with an inner diameter the slightly (like 1-2 mm) bigger than the outer diameter of the chainstay, and again, hoseclamp it on.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/14/2015 9:28 AM

Decided on using Polycaprolactone and molding it around my chainstay completely to avoid having to put hose clamps on

|

9/14/2015 9:46 AM

blizzbikes wrote:

Decided on using Polycaprolactone and molding it around my chainstay completely to avoid having to put hose clamps on

That works too.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/14/2015 12:46 PM

these are good ideas lol. my chainstay is pretty ugly from raw-doggin all those ledges. google didn't teach me much about this polycaprolactone. how do you get it and how do you apply it? post pics if you get a chance. i wouldn't mind having a grind plate welded on my next frame.

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

9/14/2015 1:04 PM

blizzbikes wrote:

could just drill a small hole and tap it, run like 2 allen bolts so u can have replaceable guards

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

9/14/2015 1:25 PM

Get a Cult Stone Cold frame ?

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/14/2015 1:42 PM

Maybe if it wasnt a cult and had a better geometry. Ticaleb check out instamorph its a form of polyethylene. Yeah drilling holes in chainstays not a great idea. I can make mine then possebly make you one as well ticaleb just get me the o.d. of your chainstay sir

|

9/14/2015 1:44 PM

blizzbikes wrote:

JonnyGanja wrote:

could just drill a small hole and tap it, run like 2 allen bolts so u can have replaceable guards

Actually, to avoid frame issues (drilling would kill warranty) you could have it act kinda like a stem in the sense that it envelopes the chainstay and bolts to itself acting as its own clamp, instead of hose clamps.

Otherwise a piece of steel in the same curve as the chainstay with some double-sided tape might hold ok.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/14/2015 2:09 PM

The polyethylene when it cools and hardens will actually bond to the metal and also shrink a bit ensuring a smooth and secure fit

|

9/14/2015 2:18 PM

blizzbikes wrote:

The polyethylene when it cools and hardens will actually bond to the metal and also shrink a bit ensuring a smooth and secure ...more

Polyethylene is plastic...so it won't bond in the sense that it is permanent, but it will stick to the metal.

Basically you are gonna melt plastic to your chainstay.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/14/2015 2:25 PM

Yes for the most part but I'm going to completely wrap the chainstay

|

9/14/2015 2:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/14/2015 2:39 PM

Interesting. I am curious about the impact resistance, and if it would be durable enough to withstand blasts from ledges and rails.

Put it on a crankarm for crankarm grinds.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/14/2015 2:51 PM

Gonna get some ordered and going to do some impact tests at work

|

9/18/2015 10:43 AM

First est failed made it too thinPhoto

Photo

|

9/18/2015 11:29 AM

maybe you could slit a length of pvc pipe and force it over it like a homemade peg sleeve

|

please embed videos

My art c:

bought from: Mario.villegas90, robinson79
[b]

9/18/2015 11:31 AM

cro tec wrote:

maybe you could slit a length of pvc pipe and force it over it like a homemade peg sleeve

Get the black PVC, it is not as brittle

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/18/2015 12:38 PM

Tried pvc and it just slides and i dont want to put clamps on to get cause the first one i made was very thin

|

9/18/2015 12:51 PM

ABS melts at 221 degrees. thinking i could put a piece around my chainstay that is a close fit and then heat the plastic enough to form it around the chainstay. or just glue it maybe.

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

9/18/2015 1:30 PM

blizzbikes wrote:

Tried pvc and it just slides and i dont want to put clamps on to get cause the first one i made was very thin

put ducktape on the frame and twist it so It sticks on both sides?

|

please embed videos

My art c:

bought from: Mario.villegas90, robinson79
[b]

9/18/2015 3:05 PM

blizzbikes wrote:

Have you thought about double sided tape on the inside of the pvc to get it to stick?

Or possible something like those 3M hook things?

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/18/2015 4:09 PM

Yes i have the tape gives way if the sleeve get hit too hard.

|

9/18/2015 7:37 PM

I have thought about this, maybe some sticky shit, like putty or that weird thumb tack stuff with some shit like old peg sleeves zip tied on. I know it'd be slim enough and work well. I'd do it if i thought it were necessary.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

9/18/2015 8:19 PM

Saw this on bmxunion looks pretty clean too
|

9/18/2015 8:40 PM

oahz24 wrote:

Saw this on bmxunion looks pretty clean too

That actually looks like a perfect solution imo, it appears to be durable and looks really slim and not ghetto

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5