Challenge

Related:
Create New Tag

11/7/2013 1:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/7/2013 2:04 PM

Ok, I know 99% of you think "Brakes are gay" or whatever.

Watch anything from Rob Ridge, Tobias Wicke, or Dave Osato and tell me the things they are doing aren't awesome.

As to freecoasters, you cannot say that Ian Schwartz, Karl Poynter, Bruce Crisman and all the others don't make it look awesome.

Same with pegs. Try running all options, 2, 3, 4, none. See how you like it.

If all you do is grind, try air tricks. If you never grind, try grinds. Expand your horizons with BMX. Open your minds to new styles, disciplines, experiences.

I guarantee you will learn something new and have a lot of fun doing so.

Honestly I want to see kids stop doing the same 6 tricks on the same spot.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/7/2013 1:09 PM

Hey, uhm... I only have two pegs... can you send me two more then. KTHX

|

I have 75 cool points and 5 awesome points

Buy/Sell Refs: Showtime402, fsearles, ticaleb, howlerfbm (x2), irideafly, the balt (x2), MrHavoc1988. dprc

11/7/2013 1:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/7/2013 1:25 PM

motogrizz wrote:

Ask your friends. I am not providing you with pegs. If you lived here I would hook you up, but you don't, so you are on your own.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/7/2013 1:21 PM

I agree with you. I have 4 Pegs and two Brakes, and I want to get a freecoaster. A lot of the stuff I do are things I've never seen anyone else do before (Not necessarily because they're hard). I ride Vert, I ride street, I ride Park.

I live near Rob Ridge by the way.

|

11/7/2013 1:35 PM

BMX_Forever wrote:

I agree with you. I have 4 Pegs and two Brakes, and I want to get a freecoaster. A lot of the stuff I do are things I've never seen anyone else do before (Not necessarily because they're hard). I ride Vert, I ride street, I ride Park.

I live near Rob Ridge by the way.

Ever watch Tobias Wicke? Guy's ridiculous with front wheel stuff.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/7/2013 2:56 PM

I go back and forth between brakes and less and I make sure I run pegs at least one week out of the year... and your right it's good to be a well rounded rider.

|

Youtube Channel |||The Wolf

||| My Helmet ||| Have FUN on your Bike!!

11/7/2013 4:02 PM

I consider myself to be a pretty well rounded rider. I am always changing my setup. I try new tires, peg options, seat positions, i alternate between coaster and cassette pretty often too. I am mostly street because all i can normally ride is street, but i ride park, and sometimes a little dirt, not full blown trails because you have to be invited to ride them in Pittsburgh and i dont live there.. haha

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

11/7/2013 4:03 PM

I'm all about air tricks but I did learn bottom bracket grinds a while ago....variety is good

|

11/7/2013 4:15 PM

ive already done all of that but trying a freecoaster and i honestly would like to try one some time.

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check
Bought from Tomdon, and ScramHype

11/7/2013 4:53 PM

motogrizz wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Ask your friends. I am not providing you with pegs. If you lived here I would hook you up, but you don't, so you are on your own.

I do live here!

|

I have 75 cool points and 5 awesome points

Buy/Sell Refs: Showtime402, fsearles, ticaleb, howlerfbm (x2), irideafly, the balt (x2), MrHavoc1988. dprc

11/7/2013 6:32 PM

My setup is usually all over the place and changes from week to week. Last week I was riding a coaster and brakeless, this week I'm riding cassette and a straight cable. Probably going to coaster with straight cable in the next few weeks.

|

11/7/2013 9:16 PM

I guess this is pretty relevant. I pretty much always just ride flat ledges and this video shows how bad I am at riding ramps haha.

|

11/7/2013 10:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/7/2013 10:13 PM

** ^lmfao brian! that shit was hilarious

Come to think of it, I've ran two pegs on the same fuckn side forever. But to me it's like I'm not done learning everything that I can with two right side pegs. I guess I'll keep em there till I get board. I've always taken a liking to crooks and other 3/4 pegs combos.
I love adding 'air' tricks to street. Love seeing it, love doing it. Chances are you'll be getting some air no matter what you ride (maybe even flat), might as well take advantage and pull some quick shit before the landing gear comes out.

To me it's not really a big deal what kind of shit you're riding (brakes,coasters,pegs,whatever) Its more important how your ride what you have. Thankfully we have more options and varieties than ever, that makes it easier to do what you want how you want.

But I agree with the main premise of this thread and that is CHALLENGE. Explore and take more risks.. more fun will come out of that than playing it safe all the time with the same ol same ol.. stay safe though.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

11/7/2013 10:23 PM

A helmet increases your confidence greatly, trust me, thats why you see the best park riders go helmets, they are less afraid of hitting their head than non helmet riders, and it allows you to challenge yourself to a greater extent.

|

11/7/2013 10:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/7/2013 10:30 PM

I just ride flat ground most of the time so that really limits what i can do. hence why im starting to skate more ridings getting boring. I think people get put off of trying new things because they think it looks easy and are disappointed when it isnt but everything takes practice if you want to get good at it.
edit- oh im one of those kids who do the same 6 tricks at a spot. all i do are 360s or barspins lolz. maybe whips will come along sometime soon.

|

11/7/2013 10:31 PM

Great post Dave. I actually recently went brakeless to try something different and have really been enjoying the new challenges it has brought, as well as gaining a new perspective on a different style of riding. That being said, I'm am personally not against brakes at all. Just having fun exploring something different. I definitely feel that changing your setup can make things feel fresh if you feel like you're in a stale phase with your riding, or just want to try something apart from your normal comfort zone.

|

Winter is over-rated

Click here to check my ride

11/7/2013 11:21 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Ever watch Tobias Wicke? Guy's ridiculous with front wheel stuff.

Trey Jones is great at front end tricks and of course, pegless riding ftw! He grinds and stalls with everything on his bike, haha. Obviously not stupid stuff like bar end grinds, stem grinds, etc. dumb crap.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

11/8/2013 5:37 AM

I wish i had some ledges to grind or a park to go.....

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

11/8/2013 1:53 PM

how the fuck can you talk about cool riders with brakes but not mention rob wise or charlie crumlish
or do those guys have two brakes?

|

I don't support slut shaming, but I do support snake shaming you snaky bastard

11/8/2013 2:03 PM

hmuifulikefriedchicken wrote:

how the fuck can you talk about cool riders with brakes but not mention rob wise or charlie crumlish
or do those guys have two brakes?

Because I didn't list every rider with brakes as that would take a long time?

There are many solid riders out there. I didn't mention Tim Knoll be he shreds. I didn't mention Chad Degroot, Tom Haugen, the list goes on.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura