Changing Setups Too Often

Related:
Create New Tag

11/14/2019 1:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/14/2019 1:38 PM

I have a very bad habit of changing my setup way too often, as I always have a bunch of spare parts lying around (i.e riding a 20.35'' frame and the changing to a 21''). I know this is a bad habit and whilst I am hopefully going to get a WTP Battleship as it is the frame I've been looking for in my constant setup change, and will finally keep a setup for a good while, I was wondering about opinions on changing setups at all let alone after a few days.


This was a Fit setup I was riding ealier this year


And this was a WTP setup I also rode earlier this year (these are just two examples, I've ridden probably 3 or 4 other frames too, and have switched between them multiple times. A lot more than frames too, cranks, forks, pretty much everything has been changed or swapped back and forth throughout this year.)

|

11/14/2019 1:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/14/2019 1:56 PM

I don’t think it really matters as long as you like how it feels
Edit: although changing things from over thinking geometry and thinking it’ll make you ride better is a bit silly imo. Just saying you can do what you want, but it might not affect your riding in the way you think it will

|

11/15/2019 4:39 AM

I don't as often as I used to-but from time to time I go brakeless, or change to front and rear brakes, or to a gyro with rear brake only, or change the amount of pegs and so on.

Gotta freshen things up. I don't think I would still ride if I never did that.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/15/2019 7:08 AM

Its your money and your bike... Ride what you like... There are many worse habits to have.

I spend way more on guns and especially ammo, than I do bikes.

My last competition, I know I went though over 150 rounds of ammo on the various stages...

|

11/15/2019 12:17 PM

.pegless. wrote:

I don’t think it really matters as long as you like how it feels
Edit: although changing things from over thinking geometry and thinking it’ll make you ride better is a bit silly imo. Just saying you can do what you want, but it might not affect your riding in the way you think it will

Some of it has come down to geometry and after riding a good handful of frames I have settled on getting a WTP Battleship in 20.75 as I'm currently riding a WTP Reason complete frame and the Battleship is very similar and is in a trans colour which is what I want so I will hopefully get that soon and stop changing everything.

|

11/15/2019 12:19 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I don't as often as I used to-but from time to time I go brakeless, or change to front and rear brakes, or to a gyro with rear brake only, or change the amount of pegs and so on.

Gotta freshen things up. I don't think I would still ride if I never did that.

I have similar things, I do enjoy both brakes and brakeless and with all the spares I have lying around I am considering building a second bike with brakes to ride when I'm in a 'brakes' kind of mood.

|

11/15/2019 12:21 PM

smullen wrote:

Its your money and your bike... Ride what you like... There are many worse habits to have.

I spend way more on guns and especially ammo, than I do bikes.

My last competition, I know I went though over 150 rounds of ammo on the various stages...

I do agree on there being worst habits but I don't really have any other hobbies apart from BMX so it is the only 'bad habit' I personally have and I was just wondering about it because it's more of a problem I have with myself.

|

11/18/2019 9:37 AM

I know when I change big things on a bike (Frame, Fork, bars, etc.) It takes me a little while to re-adjust and it affects my confidence to perform tricks I am already familiar with. We are indeed adaptable and change is the only constant but I personally prefer to stick with certain geo after I get used to something. Not to say I am opposed to change when I think it will help my riding.

I would compare switching things up too often to riding a friends bike.

I know when I hop on someone else's bike, everything feels strange and although I can still ride it and there might be things I like about the bike, maybe even more than my own bike, I still wouldn't choose an unfamiliar bike to learn something new or to do a difficult trick over my bike.

I would think changing big parts often would negatively affect your riding but if it doesn't make you feel uncomfortable, who am I to say you should or shouldnt?

|

11/18/2019 10:07 AM

i learned to just ride the bike instead of always changing it. you should too.

|

fack off

11/18/2019 12:43 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

i learned to just ride the bike instead of always changing it. you should too.

What if he already knows how to ride it but wants to try something different?

|