Changing Spline drive adapter

Related:
Create New Tag

2/7/2018 2:30 AM

Hi guys!

I have a united machinez sprocket with a 19mm adapter installed
I am changing cranks to a 24mm spindle and I need to know if the adapter can be safely removed and the 24mm adapter inserted.

I'm afraid that it will mess up the sprocket

Photo

|

2/7/2018 3:20 AM

Does anyone even make 24mm adapters?

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/7/2018 3:38 AM

Yeah, it came with the sprocket laughing

|

2/7/2018 5:24 AM

I've never seen one before but I'm sure that if you used some lubricant and knocked it out carefully, it'll be absolutely fine. Again I've never seen one so I couldn't really say. If you feel worried about doing it and no one can give you a confident answer, taking it to a bike store and asking for advice will almost certainly give you the answers you want. They'll know what to do with it. I had a Titanium 19mm spindle and a bolt had seized on, I heated it up and got it off with force, which striped all the thread out and it's tricky to cut thread into titanium, so I wish I had just gone to the bike store in the first place. Good luck.

|

2/7/2018 6:39 AM

If it's the adapter type in the picture, then yes, it's fine to remove it. If it's stuck in there, you can tap it out with a hammer and punch. There's no need to baby your parts, they're designed and made with neglect and abuse in mind.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/7/2018 7:08 AM

Yes you can remove it, but do it carefully. You don't want to wear out the Socket Drive interface in the sprocket, as that could give it some wiggle room & cause further damage later on.

Just make sure to hit it out evenly, I would try to find a socket or something that sits on the insert without touching the sprocket, and give it a couple gentle-ish whacks with a mallet. Keep an eye on it & make sure it's coming straight out, not one side before other.

Also, before you buy 24mm cranks, I would contact Empire & have them confirm that the Mutiny 24mm Insert (same exact insert as the United) fits snug on whatever cranks you're looking to buy. Save yourself the trouble of the NIGHTMARE I had to deal with trying to run a 22mm Spline Drive set up with the United Machinez/Mutiny Pentra insert (on going issue still, 2 months later. 100% wish I had went with Bolt-Drive.)

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/7/2018 12:55 PM

Thanks guys!
I'll be going to a bike shop, maybe they can use a vice or something.

@Tim
I've seen your video with the spindle and how the socket slides onto it. That shit is crazy laughing
Never go with spline drive only cranks

|

2/7/2018 1:17 PM

am-shaegar wrote:

Thanks guys!
I'll be going to a bike shop, maybe they can use a vice or something.

@Tim
I've seen your video with the ...more

Ever

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx