Cheapest places to live/bmx?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/19/2018 11:14 AM

Where in the US is it generally cheap to ride bmx? What about out of the states? I dont mean just to roadtrip out to but as a longterm residence. The cheapest places to live also dont really mean the cheapest places to ride. If i have to throw my bike in a car and drive 20+ miles to hit my nearest trails/skatepark or whatever thats going to cost me a lot if i want to ride daily. Also street riding is a lot more fun when you have endless spots to hit not just big open road in the middle of nowhere unless you do pure flatland.

|

9/19/2018 11:23 AM

I mean a lot of places could work if you have spots or a park near you.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

9/19/2018 11:23 AM

In a van , down the by the river

|

9/19/2018 11:27 AM

Probably Midwestern cities, more so those in the south. Vegas is cheap but it's mostly ditches. Austin area of Texas is affordable, and Austin has a LOT of shit to ride.

NY and LA are both out. Portland is expensive, as is Seattle (but probably not as much as other coastal cities)

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

9/19/2018 11:28 AM

I'd say eastern PA/ New Jersey. Somewhere near Philly, like Bethlehem. You have everything you're looking for.

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

9/19/2018 11:45 AM

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

I'd say eastern PA/ New Jersey. Somewhere near Philly, like Bethlehem. You have everything you're looking for.

Cold though, so hard to ride year round. Generally, the cheaper places in the USA are cheaper for a reason. Either bad weather (which keeps the otherwise great Mid-West cheap), a shit economy, or tons of crime.

There's also "cheap to rent" and "cheap to own". Some places are really cheap to buy a house, but rent is insane. Other places are the opposite.

|

9/19/2018 12:14 PM

Haha, you guys should try living in the UK

|

9/19/2018 12:37 PM

Pretty much alot of Texas lol

But dont come down south here in Texas where i am. The humidity and heat down here is insane.

Go to Austin lol

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/19/2018 1:44 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Pretty much alot of Texas lol

But dont come down south here in Texas where i am. The humidity and heat down here is insane.

Go to Austin lol

Nowhere in Texas worth living is un-hot or un-humid.

|

9/19/2018 1:48 PM

eskimojay wrote:

You know, I glossed past this because, it's a reference I've made many times before, but if you listen to Corey Walsh on the Rollback Podcast, he's actually living in a van (or has) and plans to keep doing it. It's not as ridiculous as it used to sound, honestly.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

9/19/2018 2:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/19/2018 2:31 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I would if I could afford housing lol.

My dad is from there and I have been over a bunch there a bunch (lived in Oxford for 3 months at one point).

I know everyone jokes about the weather but it beats here. To fucking hot in the summer, too fucking cold in the winter. Thunderstorms all spring.

|

9/19/2018 3:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/19/2018 3:27 PM

GMGuinn wrote:

Nowhere in Texas worth living is un-hot or un-humid.

I can deal with the heat, just the humidity is a bitch...

So i may eventually move to Austin where it's not as humid...

|

9/19/2018 3:44 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I can deal with the heat, just the humidity is a bitch...

So i may eventually move to Austin where it's not as humid...

Go bulldogs

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

9/19/2018 3:48 PM

Spongeworthy wrote:

Go bulldogs

That's my school's mascot lollaughing

|

9/19/2018 3:52 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Did I say bulldogs? I meant mustangs. Go mustangs

|

9/19/2018 3:55 PM

eskimojay wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

You know, I glossed past this because, it's a reference I've made many times before, but if you listen to Corey Walsh on the Rollback Podcast, he's actually living in a van (or has) and plans to keep doing it. It's not as ridiculous as it used to sound, honestly.

Yeah I actually take this response seriously because its become a "trendy" thing to do so theres a lot of people doing it out of necessity or choice. Id like to hear what Corey has to say about his experience, but realistically I cant see myself doing that long term.

|

9/19/2018 4:07 PM

I think Nevada would be pretty nice, ive considered Utah as well. Texas housing is actually getting pretty pricey so ive lost interest, all of the US is getting bad though. Renting is also ridiculous pretty much everywhere ive looked, for all of you guys living with family you guys are truely blessed cherish those moments you have with family and friends.

|

9/19/2018 4:22 PM

Spongeworthy wrote:

Lol wutlaughing

|

9/19/2018 4:38 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Spongeworthy wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Lol wutlaughing

Haha.

|

9/19/2018 4:41 PM

eskimojay wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

There’s lots of guys doing it these days , seems like the way to go I plan on giving it a go eventually ,fuck rent or mortgage, I don’t want kids ever so this seems like the way to go , stick it to the man and live in a van

|

9/19/2018 6:51 PM

I live in indiana and pay 800 a month in rent which in my opinion isn't bad..3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms

|

9/19/2018 7:41 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

93EXCivic wrote:

My dad is from there and I have been over a bunch there a bunch (lived in Oxford for 3 months at one point).

I know everyone jokes about the weather but it beats here. To fucking hot in the summer, too fucking cold in the winter. Thunderstorms all spring.

Yeah, for the cost of my 2 bedroom flat we could've got a (at least) 3 bedroom detached house with a garage and garden anywhere else in the world. For what I paid for the deposit I could've bought land and built a house on it in Czech! (that's where my wife's from).
Our retirement plan is to go up the property ladder a bit. Pay the mortgage, then move to Czech.

As for living in a van, a mate of mine is doing it. Well, he done it for a bit then bought a boat. Liam the terrible on YouTube if anyone fancies watching it. The winters over here in a van must suck.

|

9/19/2018 9:46 PM

eskimojay wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

I know multiple van dwellers. It’s really the way to live. If i couldn’t live with my parents for free for the next few years i would already live in a van. I’m planning on doing an extended road trip this winter accross the country and living in my van for tha.

OP, where i live in Richmond Va is relatively low living costs and has a great bmx scene as well as the best bmx shop on the east coast. Richmond is really an underated city. I think north carolina has a low cost of loving as well and i know plenty of bmx riders around that state too,

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

9/20/2018 6:29 AM

NateBrown62 wrote:

I live in indiana and pay 800 a month in rent which in my opinion isn't bad..3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms

Not bad what the hell thats a damn steal, youre the only one paying the rent or is it split between others? What kind of housing?

|

9/20/2018 6:33 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Yeah, for the cost of my 2 bedroom flat we could've got a (at least) 3 bedroom detached house with a garage and garden anywhere else in the world. For what I paid for the deposit I could've bought land and built a house on it in Czech! (that's where my wife's from).
Our retirement plan is to go up the property ladder a bit. Pay the mortgage, then move to Czech.

As for living in a van, a mate of mine is doing it. Well, he done it for a bit then bought a boat. Liam the terrible on YouTube if anyone fancies watching it. The winters over here in a van must suck.

What were the reasons for your friend to switch from a van to a boat? Is it some kind of advantage mainly to the UK because I know here on the beaches of ca guys who live in boats are pretty rich

|

9/20/2018 6:42 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

I know multiple van dwellers. It’s really the way to live. If i couldn’t live with my parents for free for the next few years i would already live in a van. I’m planning on doing an extended road trip this winter accross the country and living in my van for tha.

OP, where i live in Richmond Va is relatively low living costs and has a great bmx scene as well as the best bmx shop on the east coast. Richmond is really an underated city. I think north carolina has a low cost of loving as well and i know plenty of bmx riders around that state too,

Yeah it sounds like the type of thing I would seriously consider when making a road trip or extended vacation, yes ive looked into Richmond specifically haha my jobs would allow me to transfer there thats why also yes NC has a great cost of living, looked into Greenville because of Mirra and Nyquist. I just would feel bad to move over there after all the crap going on now, just watching peoples homes be ripped to shreds and flooded over 50% its sad to see

|

9/20/2018 6:43 AM

93EXCivic wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

HNOE12 wrote:

What were the reasons for your friend to switch from a van to a boat? Is it some kind of advantage mainly to the UK because I know here on the beaches of ca guys who live in boats are pretty rich

Basically, he split up with his partner, but his van was kind of already modded enough to be lived in. He lived in it for a solid few weeks, not out of necessity, he just wanted to give it a go. But his daughters mum wasn't that keen. So he bought a small canal boat, kind of as a "base" and storage place, with the added bonus it's bigger and more comfortable for his daughter when she stays with him.

I wish I bought an acre or 2 of land and a static home instead of a flat. I could've bought it all out right for a few k more than the deposit on the flat cost. But the wife wasn't keen sad

|

9/20/2018 6:53 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Basically, he split up with his partner, but his van was kind of already modded enough to be lived in. He lived in it for a solid few weeks, not out of necessity, he just wanted to give it a go. But his daughters mum wasn't that keen. So he bought a small canal boat, kind of as a "base" and storage place, with the added bonus it's bigger and more comfortable for his daughter when she stays with him.

I wish I bought an acre or 2 of land and a static home instead of a flat. I could've bought it all out right for a few k more than the deposit on the flat cost. But the wife wasn't keen sad

I swear women make shit so difficult for the most part

|

9/20/2018 7:01 AM

NateBrown62 wrote:

HNOE12 wrote:

Not bad what the hell thats a damn steal, youre the only one paying the rent or is it split between others? What kind of housing?

Myself and my wife are renting a trailer until we save the money for a house unfortunately there is practically nothing to ride in my town besides the skatepark and a few stairs

|

9/20/2018 7:17 AM

HNOE12 wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I swear women make shit so difficult for the most part

It sounds cliche but true..cant live with them cant live without them Haha

|