Check your welds!

Related:
Create New Tag

2/25/2020 1:55 AM

Recently purchased a frame not going to mention the name of the company but it wasn't welded all the way. I messaged the company and they handled it right away. Great customer service. Sent the frame back.Photo
Photo

|

brakeless maniac

2/25/2020 2:40 AM

Here's something from one of my frames on the chainstay bridge. It took forever to get the frame in and wasn't even the colour I wanted so I didn't bother trying to send it back, after all I had already started sanding it and that weld probably doesn't take much stress
Photo

|

2/25/2020 3:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/25/2020 3:04 AM

wow, I really think you should name names. I would....
I would not like to support a company that allows things that are that obviously noticeably that wrong. how the fuck could that even happen?
now that I look closer, all of those welds are very half assed, like a cheap ass Walmart bike...gross.

|

2/25/2020 3:08 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

wow, I really think you should name names. I would....
I would not like to support a company that allows things that are that obviously noticeably that wrong. how the fuck could that even happen?
now that I look closer, all of those welds are very half assed, like a cheap ass Walmart bike...gross.

Mine was a bsd. I've always hated bsd as a company for no particular reason honestly, but they're the only people making long ass tt (21.8 safari). First time I buy bsd I get this... Not to mention their squeak/street tires are by no means squeaky or street

|

2/25/2020 3:25 AM

machine welded.... ?

|

2/25/2020 4:19 AM

Hold up... They managed to not only miss a part of the weld; but the most obvious part of the weld? I might understand if it was on the inside of a chainstay or seatstay, where QC might miss it but that's just a 5 o'clock on a Friday kinda job... dizzy

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/25/2020 4:25 AM

Jessentis wrote:

Here's something from one of my frames on the chainstay bridge. It took forever to get the frame in and wasn't even the colour I wanted so I didn't bother trying to send it back, after all I had already started sanding it and that weld probably doesn't take much stress
Photo

The bottom one looks like they ran out of Argon or dipped the tungsten like 20 or 30 times. The undercut on the top one is nothing short of abysmal. I'd have sent it back... sick

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/25/2020 4:55 AM

Jessentis wrote:

Here's something from one of my frames on the chainstay bridge. It took forever to get the frame in and wasn't even the colour I wanted so I didn't bother trying to send it back, after all I had already started sanding it and that weld probably doesn't take much stress
Photo

p1p1092 wrote:

The bottom one looks like they ran out of Argon or dipped the tungsten like 20 or 30 times. The undercut on the top one is nothing short of abysmal. I'd have sent it back... sick

On the headtube/tt weld it jumps onto the profile of the headset cup too. My old wtp frame had some undercutting too, but I heard people praise their welds so I assumed it was normal.
Photo
Photo

Sorry for the bad photos

|

2/25/2020 5:37 AM

Jessentis wrote:

Mine was a bsd. I've always hated bsd as a company for no particular reason honestly, but they're the only people making long ass tt (21.8 safari). First time I buy bsd I get this... Not to mention their squeak/street tires are by no means squeaky or street

Tall Order has 21.8tt in their 315 frame. S&M make the ATF in 22in tt and Mutiny make the Deathgrip in 21.8in tt just in case you are looking for another frame at some point.

|

2/25/2020 5:41 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

wow, I really think you should name names. I would....
I would not like to support a company that allows things that are that obviously noticeably that wrong. how the fuck could that even happen?
now that I look closer, all of those welds are very half assed, like a cheap ass Walmart bike...gross.

Jessentis wrote:

Mine was a bsd. I've always hated bsd as a company for no particular reason honestly, but they're the only people making long ass tt (21.8 safari). First time I buy bsd I get this... Not to mention their squeak/street tires are by no means squeaky or street

93EXCivic wrote:

Tall Order has 21.8tt in their 315 frame. S&M make the ATF in 22in tt and Mutiny make the Deathgrip in 21.8in tt just in case you are looking for another frame at some point.

Safari has a 13" back end. I haven't looked so I might be wrong, but I'm assuming those are more 13.5"+

|

2/25/2020 6:47 AM

Damn...some of these are really bad. Injury waiting to happen.

|

2/25/2020 8:09 AM

Jessentis wrote:

Mine was a bsd. I've always hated bsd as a company for no particular reason honestly, but they're the only people making long ass tt (21.8 safari). First time I buy bsd I get this... Not to mention their squeak/street tires are by no means squeaky or street

93EXCivic wrote:

Tall Order has 21.8tt in their 315 frame. S&M make the ATF in 22in tt and Mutiny make the Deathgrip in 21.8in tt just in case you are looking for another frame at some point.

Jessentis wrote:

Safari has a 13" back end. I haven't looked so I might be wrong, but I'm assuming those are more 13.5"+

Yeah they are. I guess that is why I never looked at the Safari not a big fan of super short chainstays.

|

2/25/2020 12:25 PM

Ya, just to be clear... If anyone gets a "Brand New" frame/ part and it has ANY missing welds do not assemble it. Demand that it be replaced, or refunded.

Always inspect every brand new part for manufacture defects as soon as you get it.

|

2/25/2020 12:50 PM

I have one word to use TERRIBLE.

|

2/25/2020 2:51 PM

A fit frame i bought few years ago. I noticed this sloppiness the day i got it.. whole frame is pretty inconsistent, but headtube is poop. Still built it and rode it for a long time(jibby park/flowy street).
Ive had fit bars+fork too and they both cracked on the welds.

Got rid of the frame.
The taiwan made Wifi was higher quality.

Photo

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

2/25/2020 4:18 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

Ya, just to be clear... If anyone gets a "Brand New" frame/ part and it has ANY missing welds do not assemble it. Demand that it be replaced, or refunded.

Always inspect every brand new part for manufacture defects as soon as you get it.

this is some very good advise right here^^

|

2/25/2020 4:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/25/2020 4:23 PM

BMXism wrote:

A fit frame i bought few years ago. I noticed this sloppiness the day i got it.. whole frame is pretty inconsistent, but headtube is poop. Still built it and rode it for a long time(jibby park/flowy street).
Ive had fit bars+fork too and they both cracked on the welds.

Got rid of the frame.
The taiwan made Wifi was higher quality.

Photo

i dont see how a company can try and pass this off as a top shelf, top of the line, aftermarket, whatever you want to call it. its actually embarrassing. i like fit/s&m a lot. all i have to say is, every frame i have at the moment has perfect consistent welds, even the stranger nomad i am reluctantly riding atm has perfect welds.

|

2/26/2020 12:03 AM

Hearing all this, most people seem to have sloppy welding on their frames. Anyone had sloppy welding on cranks/forks/bars? I've seen awful welding on the inside of a set of federal rims, my odyssey rims have been grinded down and cleaned up though.

|

2/26/2020 6:55 AM

BMXism wrote:

A fit frame i bought few years ago. I noticed this sloppiness the day i got it.. whole frame is pretty inconsistent, but headtube is poop. Still built it and rode it for a long time(jibby park/flowy street).
Ive had fit bars+fork too and they both cracked on the welds.

Got rid of the frame.
The taiwan made Wifi was higher quality.

Photo

ggallin422 wrote:

i dont see how a company can try and pass this off as a top shelf, top of the line, aftermarket, whatever you want to call it. its actually embarrassing. i like fit/s&m a lot. all i have to say is, every frame i have at the moment has perfect consistent welds, even the stranger nomad i am reluctantly riding atm has perfect welds.

Fit is made in Taiwan, S&M is made in the US

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

2/26/2020 10:22 AM

BMXism wrote:

A fit frame i bought few years ago. I noticed this sloppiness the day i got it.. whole frame is pretty inconsistent, but headtube is poop. Still built it and rode it for a long time(jibby park/flowy street).
Ive had fit bars+fork too and they both cracked on the welds.

Got rid of the frame.
The taiwan made Wifi was higher quality.

Photo

ggallin422 wrote:

i dont see how a company can try and pass this off as a top shelf, top of the line, aftermarket, whatever you want to call it. its actually embarrassing. i like fit/s&m a lot. all i have to say is, every frame i have at the moment has perfect consistent welds, even the stranger nomad i am reluctantly riding atm has perfect welds.

HavokDJ wrote:

Fit is made in Taiwan, S&M is made in the US

The fit wifi v2 is American made along with all the signature aftermarket fit frames

|

2/26/2020 3:42 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

i dont see how a company can try and pass this off as a top shelf, top of the line, aftermarket, whatever you want to call it. its actually embarrassing. i like fit/s&m a lot. all i have to say is, every frame i have at the moment has perfect consistent welds, even the stranger nomad i am reluctantly riding atm has perfect welds.

HavokDJ wrote:

Fit is made in Taiwan, S&M is made in the US

eskimojay wrote:

The fit wifi v2 is American made along with all the signature aftermarket fit frames

Seriously? What's even the point in the separate brands then?

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

2/26/2020 3:54 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

Seriously? What's even the point in the separate brands then?

One sells completes and the other doesn’t

|

2/26/2020 3:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/26/2020 3:57 PM

Fit sells completes. S&M doesn't sell completes.

lol. ya beat me to it..

|

2/29/2020 6:04 PM

My Fit frame is made in USA. I think Fit is a bit cringey, as in chasing trends and shit, whereas S/M is more traditional and has a less edgy image...you know if you buy an s/m you get American made no questions. not that I care about such things but alot of people do....wait a minute. I do care.

|