Choosing a beginner bike

Related:
Create New Tag

7/27/2013 12:56 AM

Hey,

I'm looking to start riding but I'm unsure on what bike to get as a beginner. I have ridden before and know the basics, I used to ride a GT Zone 08, not that great a bike but whatever.

Anyway I will be buying second hand, but I'm not very clued up on what I should be looking for in a bike.
Would something like This be alright?

I'm about 6 foot 2 and weigh 180lbs (82kg), would this bike suit?

Cheers

|

7/27/2013 2:13 AM

Eh get the specs of the bike from what it looks it prolly will also like the colors

|

Don't tell me how to live my life!

I failed the life test...

7/27/2013 2:17 AM

its a wtp so should be good, but look for something that has at least removable brake mounts as you should never be brakeless until you are fully in control of the bike 100% of the time...

|

Bruh

7/27/2013 3:15 AM

Shadow2 wrote:

Eh get the specs of the bike from what it looks it prolly will also like the colors

From what I could find I think these are the specs (kinda hard to read).
Although it looks like it's had a few parts changed.

|

7/27/2013 3:19 AM

Zach P-D wrote:

its a wtp so should be good, but look for something that has at least removable brake mounts as you should never be brakeless until you are fully in control of the bike 100% of the time...

I was planning on putting brakes on it if I was to get it. How easy would it be to do that?

|

7/27/2013 3:21 AM

sorta glanced at the pic lol looking closer it has brake mounts so it should be easy to fit them haha

|

Bruh

7/29/2013 11:01 PM

A buddy of mine got a Sunday (lowest priced one) I really enjoyed the bike. I'd recommend a Sunday if you are gonna buy a stock bike!

|

Brandon
Taylor

7/30/2013 1:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/30/2013 1:41 AM

Stuff in bikes to look for

-Full Cromo Frame: Not a must But it's nice

-Full Cromo Bars and Forks: Your 180 pounds I think this is a must

-Double Wall Rims: Again a must for you

-Sealed hubs: Kinda have to have this or your hubs will shit on you

-Decent stem: I've had some stock stems and after market stems if stock stem it would be nice to have a Subrosa or Salt. They are the best stock stems in my opinion. Also check your bars to make sure their not stripped. I know 3 people with shitty stock toploads an they didn't tighten them properly (x Tight or star) and then the bars kept slipping and then they stripped bars and then blamed their stem. Also one of the fuckers has pedals that are perfectly fine and then instead of buying new bars and stem he gets new pedals....

Cranks: Make sure their 2 or 2.5 or 3 piece, Can't be one piece

Also If your buying a used bike ride it before you buy.

- Look at the tires Make sure their not bald
- Make sure Pedals aren't cracked
- Make sure Bottom Bracket is Smooth
- Stuff shouldn't be loose
- Check if Dialled, If not then check where the sound is coming from and see if it wiggled or what not
- Make sure the guy doesn't pull the old "Oh sorry tires are at really low Psi, So you can't ride it, but their not poped.
- Check weld to make sure theirs no cracks or to make sure that their are no welds added like it cracked then they welded it.

Edit: Look for a bike with a frame that has a 21 inch top tube or 20.75

|

Bang Bang bmx

7/30/2013 5:04 AM

No such thing as a 2009 Versus. There is however a 2010 Versus that was white with purple rims, but I'm not sure this is one due to the seat post clamp on the one for sale being black and the big red flag being that the '10 Versus had removable brake hardware on the toptube. This one clearly has brazed on mounts. My bet is that it's a 2009 Crysis, which is NOT full chromoly like a 2010 Versus. And it's got a 20.5" toptube - way too small for you.

Study the WTP catalogs and you'll see what I mean. Keep in mind, anyone can buy spray paint and change the wheels.

|