Chrome thunderbolts?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/21/2015 11:14 PM

Had Odyssey made this? Or would it weaken the cranks or cause any sort of problems?

|

7/22/2015 12:16 AM

Its just paint. It wont weaken the material lol.

|

7/22/2015 12:17 AM

Kool-Aid BMX wrote:

Chrome is a plating process usually.

|

7/22/2015 8:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/22/2015 8:40 AM

Chrome is not paint its plated onto an object , which is why most chrome parts cost more then other painted parts

|

7/22/2015 10:36 AM

They made a few prototypes before. I've only seen 1 set.

|

Refs: AEBASHER

7/22/2015 7:38 PM

Ohioan? You typically would know.

|

7/22/2015 8:10 PM

forks and bars are fine in my book and rims ofc... but with crank arm grinds and stuff, and shoe rash on the arms, i think chromed cranks would just be pointless. once the chrome gets chipped, their done, and the chrome will start to come off...

and remember this coming from a guy who originally wanted chrome cranks.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

7/22/2015 8:14 PM

Kool-Aid BMX wrote:

Wrong on both accounts actually.

It's not paint, it's either a chemical or plating process.

And it could weaken the material due to the hydrogen embrittlement. Basically due to the chemical or plating process for chroming it, it can be more prone to cracking, but that doesn't automatically mean every chrome part sucks though.

As for chrome thunderbolts... I don't believe they're out there. Best bet is just to polish a set or something, my crank arms are already almost chrome from my feet rubbing them all the time haha.

|

7/22/2015 9:28 PM

The plating process usually goes like this:

The chrome thing/part is dipped in a solution containing chrome. The part is electrically charged to attract the chrome ions to the metallic surface.

That's the basic thing anyway.

The big reason why they aren't chromed is because of the feet rubbing it anyways. As said, as soon as the chrome is rubbed thru, it would no longer do any good and look...un chromed...

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

7/22/2015 10:57 PM

When you have kids they've been running chrome cranks for six years and the chrome hasn't "rubbed through"

|