Cinema ZX wheels - Worth it?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/29/2017 9:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/29/2017 9:28 AM

Hey guys, got an end of year bonus that I wasn't expecting so of course I immediately go online to check out clearance deals...

I came across these Cinema wheels on sale at Albes that together would cost about as much as a mid-level freecoaster wheel.

Cinema ZX front wheel for $60 (!!)

Rim: 333 double-wall pinned rim
Material: 6061 aluminum hub shell
Axle: 3/8” threaded female axle (24tpi)
Cone Nuts: Thread-on alloy cone (x2)
Bearing Code: 15267 (x2)
Spoke Holes: 36 holes
Weight: 2 lbs 2.8 oz

https://www.albes.com/cinema-zx-front-wheel/

Cinema ZX Cassette Rear Wheel for $74 (!!!!!)

Rim: 333 double-wall pinned rim
Material: 6061 aluminum hub shell
Axle: 14mm chromoly axleAxle Nuts:
14mm threaded chromoly nuts (14x1 thread pitch)
Non-Driveside Cone: 24mm threaded steel (x1)
Driveside Cone: 24mm threaded steel (x1)
Driver: 9-tooth chromoly, 4-pawl, double wraparound spring
Bearing Code: 6902 (x2)
Spoke Holes: 36 holes
Weight: 2 lbs 12.5 oz

https://www.albes.com/cinema-zx-rear-wheel/

Am I missing something about cinema wheels? I know that G-Sport/Odyssey really make some of the best wheels out there, but this is 2 wheels for the price of one. I'm thinking I should jump on it.

Thoughts? I currently ride a freecoaster but started on a cassette. I'm pretty comfortable on either, and don't hate the idea of having one freecoaster and one cassette wheel if I want to switch it up.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

12/29/2017 9:36 AM

I've seen the cinema wheels with the 777 rims are on sale too. Can't remember where, but they were real cheap. I don't think the 333 rims are very good, but for that price I guess they are ok. The hubs should be decent. I just don't trust the rims.

|

12/29/2017 9:45 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

I've seen the cinema wheels with the 777 rims are on sale too. Can't remember where, but they were real cheap. I don't think ...more

Ah, thanks man. Yeah I know these are lower end and I'm tempted by the price buuuuut...I don't really want a rim folding on me when I land poorly.

I'm gonna go hunt down the 777 versions. I feel like a crackhead hunting down deals right now, but I know they're out there.

|

12/29/2017 1:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/29/2017 1:28 PM

They're cheap beginner wheels. I wouldn't run them personally, but they'd probably make a nice upgrade to most stock wheels. Just remember you're gonna get what you pay for.

Source has custom wheels on sale for real cheap right now. I also have a custom wheelset for sale in the sale section on here.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/29/2017 1:34 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

They're cheap beginner wheels. I wouldn't run them personally, but they'd probably make a nice upgrade to most stock wheels. ...more

Oh man, yeah I saw your wheelset and that's what got me thinking!

The price is great but unfortunately it's more than I'm willing to spend right now.

My current wheels are both custom and I'm very happy with them, this would just be a spare set. But yeah I don't want beginner wheels even though I'm kind of a beginner (I just land hard and don't baby my bike at all)

Thanks for the advice guys.

|

12/29/2017 1:54 PM

Get a new fork instead.

|

Hmmm

12/29/2017 4:21 PM

They’ll be fine . I wouldn’t be too concerned about them. . I’ve ridden 777 rims and they’re great . The 333’s will be good , only difference you’ll notice is when you’re casing 3ft airs or dirt jumps

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short