Claire’s New Bike (nerd bunny hop)

Related:
Create New Tag

9/8/2018 11:07 PM

As promised, update, and a picture of me and my bike. I decided to spend a little extra and to go with the Kink Whip. Today was my first day riding and Lord, was it glorious! I’m practicing several tricks including the bunny hop. My front tire is clearing the ground pretty well, but my hands, palms and right thumb are killing me now. I think it’s my technique possibly. Does this get better over time? I broke my right thumb in high school, so anytime I use it a lot it throbs. PITA Does anyone wear wrist supports also, I’m wondering? Photo
Photo

|

9/8/2018 11:14 PM

Looks great! My 2013 Whip frame is still going strong.

Your body definitely may take a while to get accustomed to riding. For me, my hands and wrists would always ache after riding when I started BMX, but after a few weeks of riding, it subsided.

Not too sure about the thumb, but I think you're right that the prior injury may be the cause.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

9/8/2018 11:19 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Looks great! My 2013 Whip frame is still going strong.

Your body definitely may take a while to get accustomed to riding. For me, my hands and wrists would always ache after riding when I started BMX, but after a few weeks of riding, it subsided.

Not too sure about the thumb, but I think you're right that the prior injury may be the cause.

That’s good to know that you acclimate. I’m going to wrap my thumb tomorrow just until my hands get stronger and use to it. I knew BMX would be painful so it’s not getting me down, but I want to make sure I’m not doing anything stupid that will give me careless injuries.

As far as the Whip goes, I knew she was mine as soon as I hopped on. She just felt right. I hope to get many miles and crashes out of her ?

|

9/8/2018 11:26 PM

Rad!
But yeah, you use muscles riding bmx that you've never used before. It'll take time to build muscle and strengthen joints and stuff. It's just something you have to put up with. Even just learning to hop, it's all about muscle memory, so the more you ride, the quicker you'll acclimatise and start to find it getting easier/more natural

|

9/9/2018 12:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/9/2018 12:35 AM

Congrats on the bike, nice choice for sure. The pain and aches are also normal, it'll most likely get better in the next weeks. As for the thumb, an old injury can definitely be the cause but I was also wondering if grabbing the brake puts it in a weird angle for some reason? Not sure if that's a thing, just something that came to mind. Keep an eye on it for sure and see if you can notice a pattern. But again, it can just need some getting used to.

|

9/9/2018 6:25 AM

So stoked you went with the Whip!! You're body will build muscles for BMX.

Also, remove the reflectorstongue

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/9/2018 8:12 AM

Nice bike ??

|

9/9/2018 9:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/9/2018 1:51 PM

Like already stated, it'll take time getting your muscle groups up to speed. Also, you will develop new calluses on your hands that you probably don't have. Don't worry... They aren't going to give you "man hands" or anything. Lol. Congrats on the new ride!

|

9/9/2018 5:22 PM

Good shit! The pain goes away as you get stronger and the grips get softer. I just got back into it and the same thing happened to me. If you post a clip of your bunnyhop, preferably in slo-mo, people here can help with tips. Happy biking! Enjoy .^__^.

|

9/10/2018 7:07 AM

Those grey Vans are really nice.

Just keep going, your body will get used to it and your muscles will start to strengthen.

Get some pics up your hop.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

9/10/2018 8:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/10/2018 8:37 AM

When you have spare money get a better chain-every stock chain bust. Get any 510,710 or Shadow Conspiracy Half-link, save a knee to the stem.

|

9/10/2018 8:45 AM

Phunny93 wrote:

When you have spare money get a better chain-every stock chain bust. Get any 510,710 or Shadow Conspiracy Half-link, save a knee to the stem.

Dont buy a halflink chain unless its the Shadow Supreme. If you buy anyother halflink say goodbye to your sprocket and driver lol

But get like a 510 or 710. Those are good and dont ruin your shit lol

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/10/2018 8:52 AM

Phunny93 wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Dont buy a halflink chain unless its the Shadow Supreme. If you buy anyother halflink say goodbye to your sprocket and driver lol

But get like a 510 or 710. Those are good and dont ruin your shit lol

Shadow V2 never ate up the Sunday Knox I Had it on, But then again my Chain alignment is super straight. But if anyone has the ability to grab a Supreme, do it-Free chains until they stop making them.

|

9/10/2018 8:57 AM

Phunny93 wrote:

From what I have read braces/supports are not that good because your body gets use to them and essentially doesn't work the stabilizer muscles; which inreturn causes weaker stabilizing muscles which can lead to broken bones and torn muscles if the brace isn't worn.

|