Clear brake pad squeal fix

Related:
Create New Tag

8/18/2017 12:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2017 12:56 PM

Okay so my bike basically sounds like a moose trying to pass a kidney stone every time I brake and i was scaring the shit out of people when I ride... I have been playing around with reseating the pads and find if you toe in the tops severely so that the tops only hit the rim, they are silent and all is well. You guys probably already know this but at least I figured out why the concave/convex nuts are on brake pad posts now. Hopefully it will help you guys running clear pads and fix the " WHOooooosqqqqqqgrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiitttttttccccccchhhhhhhhh"
Photo

Photo

|

8/18/2017 1:08 PM

Sometimes I miss the squealing, scaring the shit out of pedestrians in the bike lane or groups people who walk like assholes taking the whole sidewalk.

Now I just skid my tires - it's very effective but destructive sad

|

8/18/2017 2:42 PM

you cant stop clear pads from squealing without losing brake power
i have 2 sets of pads - black for riding around without raping my ears and clear for skatepark/street spots

|

8/18/2017 6:34 PM

Squirt some WD-40 on them.

Or you could just try some different pads.

|

8/18/2017 6:43 PM

If I had brakes I'd love the squeak... scaring people is sooo much fun... grin grin grin

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/18/2017 7:13 PM

tiho wrote:

i have 2 sets of pads - black for riding around without ...more

I have to disagree as mine have been silent since toeing them in and also some googling confirms what I thought, apparently all clear pads should be properly toed to stop squeal. I'll keep you posted if they start chirping byt seriously take the five minutes to adjust them and see. I'm pretty happy as I thought that was never going to stop.

|

8/18/2017 7:35 PM

If you wear headphones you won't hear them squeal.

|

It’s all bmx

8/18/2017 7:55 PM

or the squeal of the tires from the cars that mow over me? wink

|

8/18/2017 8:10 PM

tiho wrote:

BcBMX80 wrote:

I have to disagree as mine have been silent since toeing them in and also some googling confirms what I thought, apparently ...more

yes but than you lose braking power, it feels flexy and weak and they just wear down a lot faster and uneven, i only toe in my black pads
its literally 30 seconds, just 5 mm allen and you are done

|

8/18/2017 8:14 PM

Oh, so you're supposed to toe the leading edge in? No wonder mine still howl, I toed the trailing edge in. The weird thing about mine, one, and only one, is like "melting" turning into a gum like substance.

|

8/18/2017 8:24 PM

tiho wrote:

BcBMX80 wrote:

I have to disagree as mine have been silent since toeing them in and also some googling confirms what I thought, apparently ...more

tiho wrote:

yes but than you lose braking power, it feels flexy and weak and they just wear down a lot faster and uneven, i only toe in my ...more

Again I gotta disagree, you'll notice if you set them properly and read up a bit that once you give them a full squeeze you should be getting full contact of the pad on the center of the rim. Your definitely not losing braking power, you would be more likely losing braking power on those vibrations that is causing the howl rather than a pad that has been set properly. And yes a given on cars and bikes is you will always replace brakes and tires, its kinda just a fact of vehicle upkeep so i don't count brakes pads or tires as anything but maintenance parts...

|

8/18/2017 8:26 PM

johnnypoopoopants wrote:

Oh, so you're supposed to toe the leading edge in? No wonder mine still howl, I toed the trailing edge in. The weird thing ...more

Yea man toe in on top ,,, can you post a pic of your melting brakes? thats crazy unless you live somewhere really hot lol

|

8/18/2017 9:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2017 9:22 PM

I will get a pic sometime, they're not just melting. It's from friction on the rim when stopping, like it's pulling the pad apart kinda. It is about 100 degrees F here right now and I noticed it after a downhill brake application, so it might have been excessive heat that caused it. The other pad is fine, it's only one. They're Kool stop supra 2 pads.

|

8/18/2017 11:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2017 11:47 PM

Toe in has ALWAYS been the cure to squealing brakes. It's called proper setup. I've seen WAY too many people just ride squealing brakes as if it's normal. To me it says "I don't know how to setup my bike."

|

8/19/2017 1:52 AM

BcBMX80 wrote:

tiho wrote:

yes but than you lose braking power, it feels flexy and weak and they just wear down a lot faster and uneven, i only toe in my ...more

BcBMX80 wrote:

Again I gotta disagree, you'll notice if you set them properly and read up a bit that once you give them a full squeeze you ...more

yes but after a couple of days you will wear down that toed in end and they will still be the same, you dont always squeeze them all the way down
clear pads are softer and wear down A LOT quicker than black ones so i use them only when i really need them (abubaca, fufanu etc)
i've been running brakes all my life and all that google e-wikihow is bullshit, i toe in my black ones just a tiny bit and they work perfectly

|

8/19/2017 2:30 AM

I think there was a video (from a bmx company?) that I saw a couple of weeks ago, explaining that the pads need to be aligned so that they hit the rim like a V shape when you first break, and as you pull the leaver harder they go on the whole rim ... that's why you have all the spacers, washers and adjusters on them

Because when they lay flat on the rim they cause mini bounces (not sure on how to explain it) and that's what makes the noise

Damn, can't find the video anymore!!

|

8/19/2017 8:29 AM

tiho wrote:

BcBMX80 wrote:

Again I gotta disagree, you'll notice if you set them properly and read up a bit that once you give them a full squeeze you ...more

tiho wrote:

yes but after a couple of days you will wear down that toed in end and they will still be the same, you dont always squeeze ...more

At 8 dollars a pop, Wearing through Brake pads are the least of my concerns...

|

8/19/2017 11:44 AM

I tried toeing my brakes in. They still squeal like a pig. Not as bad but still squealy pig noises. I don't think they should bother with painted and powder coated rims. They look cool but that's about it. I never had this problem with alloy or chrome rims.

|

8/19/2017 12:08 PM

Ah that sucks. I can see the gloss being an issue on painted rims for sure.

|

8/19/2017 1:51 PM

I don't know how easy it is to see, only my right one is falling apart like that. It doesn't look as bad as it did, I had previously trimmed some excess off with a box knife. Photo

Photo

Photo

|

8/19/2017 2:02 PM

Looks like it peeled then melted from the friction.

|

8/29/2017 9:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/29/2017 9:44 PM

I had enough, said fuck it and bought black mountain bike pads today. Zero noise and I can actually modulate my brakes instead of useless squeal to lock up and skid. I heard that black pads can take the paint off. I don't care. If it actually does I'll sand them. I almost did that before I bought new pads. My kid's bike has black pads and his rims look fine. He weighs 50 pounds though. smile

|

8/29/2017 11:12 PM

Well glad you got it. I'm still squeal free, rims should be fine, but not much you can do to stop the paint from coming off.

|

5/16/2018 10:11 AM

I have clear pads on my 2017 Eastern Element. I was told this is because I have a black rim and the clear pads won’t scratch the rim. Is this true? They squeal so loud. I’d be willing to go to black pads if they won’t scratch up the rim.

|

5/16/2018 10:20 AM

mike90 wrote:

I have clear pads on my 2017 Eastern Element. I was told this is because I have a black rim and the clear pads won’t scratch ...more

Just get black pads. The paint is going to come off anyway. Clear pads suck.

|

5/16/2018 10:23 AM

mike90 wrote:

I have clear pads on my 2017 Eastern Element. I was told this is because I have a black rim and the clear pads won’t scratch ...more

No matter what color your brake pads, the only way you will not scratch your rim is if you go brakeless. Clear pads do tend to be less harsh on rims but I believe the real use for clear is for stopping power, not keeping your rims from scratching. Also, dirt is really the biggest culprit. Dirt buildup on your wheels and embedded in your brake pads works like sandpaper and will take the finish off your rims. Likewise, riding in rain only aids in this.

|

5/16/2018 10:27 AM

Well so far I’m not impressed with the stopping power. I guess I may need to adjust them. If I go the black pads route, which pads are recommended?

|

5/16/2018 10:40 AM

i thought Bc was back here for a second lol

|

Hmmm

5/16/2018 11:13 AM

Edman123 wrote:

i thought Bc was back here for a second lol

I did too!

|

5/16/2018 11:17 AM

Woah! Those pads have more toe than a bikini contest.

|