Clicking noise on new bike?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/2/2020 7:29 AM

So I noticed that on my new bike, I hear a soft clicking sound with each turn of the pedals when riding up a hill (so, basically under load). I did a google search, and about all that I was able to decipher from the results was to check all of the lower end items to ensure that they are snug, and everything seems to be fine there. The chain feels snug, with minimal slack but the sound reminds me of what I would think it would sound like for the chain to bounce a tiny bit when pedaling.

It is a bit annoying, although I can’t describe the noise as a clunk or a thud. It is more like a clicking or tapping sound that only seems to happen when pedaling against resistance in an uphill incline.

I am 6’02”/298, and the bike is a 2021 Haro Freestyler DMC Master 24. Anybody have any ideas? I can get over the irritation of the sound, I just want to make sure I’m not damaging the bike.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to offer.

|

“Don’t quote me boy cuz I ain’t said shit” - Ghandi

10/2/2020 7:33 AM

Is it a cassette or freecoaster back wheel?

Usually a new hub will take a few weeks to break in and then the clicking or popping goes away.

|

Husky Nation Member

10/2/2020 8:25 AM

baglagrupie wrote:

Is it a cassette or freecoaster back wheel?

Usually a new hub will take a few weeks to break in and then the clicking or ...more

It is a cassette hub. It has been 25 years since I have been in a bike, so I may be forgetting any similar noises I experienced with bikes I’ve owned in the past. Hopefully a bit of time will allow things to wear in properly, and all will be fine. I tried to buy a bike with specs that I believed would accommodate my considerable weight, and have done nothing more than simply ride the bike so far (no tricks or jumps or anything).

Thanks for the response.

|

10/2/2020 8:30 AM

It might be in your headset, it was the first place my new bike started making noise, tink tink tink..

Whenever you pedal hard, you typically push and pull on your bars too.. Loosen the clamp bolts on your stem first, snug up your compression cap, then tighten your clamp bolts back.

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

10/2/2020 9:09 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

It might be in your headset, it was the first place my new bike started making noise, tink tink tink..

Whenever you pedal ...more

Could also be the stem, so checking the bolts is a good idea. Even putting a little grease on the threads.

But, as it’s a new bike there are a few things it could be. Anything to do with simply bedding in should really go away after a couple of rides up a steep hill. If everything is snug, it could be a pedal or bb bearing. It’s pretty unlikely though.

Another thing worth checking is your crank arm spacing. And look at your chainstays for a small ding. If they’re not spaced enough, the crank arm will flex and tap your chainstay as it passes it while you pedal. It’s not that common, but I’ve seen it a couple of times in frames with wide tyre clearance

|

10/2/2020 9:41 AM

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

So I noticed that on my new bike, I hear a soft clicking sound with each turn of the pedals when riding up a hill (so, ...more

Probably your bottom bracket is missing a spacer.

|

10/2/2020 11:01 AM

Since I am not very knowledgeable about the mechanical workings of these things, here is a link that shows the specs of my bike if this might be helpful to narrowing down a likely cause of this noise.

https://www.danscomp.com/haro-bikes-2021-freestyler-dmc-legends-24-bmx-bike-teal-turquoise-h-21810/p1246996

|

10/2/2020 2:19 PM

Check your sprocket for irregular wear, might be your chainline. Perhaps the sprocket is attempting to get your chain back in line.

|

10/2/2020 3:00 PM

Yeah. I’m not seeing any odd wear happening in anything at this point, but will keep inspecting the bike after each time I am on it. Just took another short ride, and it is pretty consistent on uphill riding but not loud and there is no vibration or feedback to help with diagnosing.

|

10/2/2020 4:55 PM

It's a pretty common noise from my experience with new complete bikes. Typically, it's the lock-tight that's on the threads of bolts in the BB/crank region. Try removing them, greasing them, then tightening them snugly afterwards.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

10/2/2020 7:45 PM

readybmxer wrote:

It's a pretty common noise from my experience with new complete bikes. Typically, it's the lock-tight that's on the threads of ...more

The BB on this bike is sealed, as is pretty much everything on the bike. I don’t believe I am able to grease the majority of things on this one.

|

10/2/2020 7:49 PM

So far, the only guess that I have been able to come up with is that each time I pedal while going uphill there is possibly some hesitation due to me being way out of shape and working my ass off to ignore my burning legs. I’m thinking that may be causing the chain to engage the sprocket a bit forcefully on each turn of the pedals rather than maintaining a smooth cycle. The sound is similar to if you have the rear wheel off the ground and suddenly turn the pedals. That initial engagement of the chain and sprocket is similar to what I am hearing. ... I think. Lol

|

10/2/2020 10:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/2/2020 10:59 PM

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

The BB on this bike is sealed, as is pretty much everything on the bike. I don’t believe I am able to grease the majority of ...more

Sorry, I could’ve been more specific.

What I meant by BB/crank region was the spindle, crankarm, and pinch bolts on the crank arm. If those lack grease, that’s where the noise is likely coming from.

Loosen and remove the pinch bolts, then loosen and remove the spindle bolts. After that, the crank arm will slide off the spindle. Clean them, and put a good amount of grease, but no need to totally cake it, just enough to cover the surfaces. Grease around the spindle where the cranks slide on, the pinch bolts, and also the spindle bolts. Do this for both sides, it should be silent after that.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

10/3/2020 6:51 AM

readybmxer wrote:

It's a pretty common noise from my experience with new complete bikes. Typically, it's the lock-tight that's on the threads of ...more

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

The BB on this bike is sealed, as is pretty much everything on the bike. I don’t believe I am able to grease the majority of ...more

readybmxer wrote:

Sorry, I could’ve been more specific.

What I meant by BB/crank region was the spindle, crankarm, and pinch bolts on the crank ...more

Thank you for the clarification. I will give that a try and see if it doesn’t help.

|

10/3/2020 3:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2020 3:56 PM

Okay, so today I put in a solid 2 hours of riding and halfway through I stopped to check everything. I found absolutely nothing to be loose, and was able to confirm that there is absolutely no noise when the pedals are turned against no resistance. What I did notice, is that when I turn the pedals a bit unevenly (as in, push down one, hesitate slightly, then push the other one down), I get the same noise. It appears to be either the engagement of the chain against the sprocket, or possibly the cassette hub engaging.

I am thinking it is just me not pedaling smoothly when struggling on an incline and I am hesitating in each turn of the pedals long enough that the chain is having to reengage the sprocket on each revolution.

I will just keep riding the bike, and regularly check the tightness and fit of all of the parts for any evidence of damage. If it gets worse, or I start to see problems, I will take it in to be looked at at my local shop. Thanks for all of the suggestions guys.

|

10/3/2020 9:07 PM

Could it be your spokes? Loose spokes will cause a slight tick or almost ping noise. Make sure you spokes are tightened properly.

|

10/3/2020 10:12 PM

TacosMakeMeShat wrote:

Could it be your spokes? Loose spokes will cause a slight tick or almost ping noise. Make sure you spokes are tightened ...more

I never even thought about that. I will check those for sure.

|

10/4/2020 8:41 PM

I wonder if this might just be part of the deal with aluminum frames. I never owned one until about a month ago. I bought a chase race frame to take some of the work load off my old Gt. It freaks me out a little because for one it doesn’t flex, like at all, and for two it seems to transmit so much noise and vibration compared to any steel frame I’ve sat on.

I also was hearing a clunking noise from the bottom bracket/ chain area. I went over the bike part by part and everything is squared away. Just seems like every little noise gets amplified. Even the brake cable hitting the frame makes enough noise to be audible at speed.

|

10/4/2020 9:06 PM

I had this problem. Loosening the chain tension made it go away.

|

10/5/2020 7:10 AM

Dr Sarcophagus wrote:

This is a real potential, as the chain on this bike seems to be pretty tight with almost zero slack in it. In comparison, my sons Haro has a chain that bounces when he takes the bike down a few stairs, but his ride is silent except for the hum of the tires on the street.

|

10/5/2020 9:32 AM

Dr Sarcophagus wrote:

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

This is a real potential, as the chain on this bike seems to be pretty tight with almost zero slack in it. In comparison, my ...more

Between that and the spokes you could be on to something.
Even really tight spokes will pop a bit until they get broken in to a bit.

|

Husky Nation Member

10/5/2020 9:49 AM

Dr Sarcophagus wrote:

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

This is a real potential, as the chain on this bike seems to be pretty tight with almost zero slack in it. In comparison, my ...more

baglagrupie wrote:

Between that and the spokes you could be on to something.
Even really tight spokes will pop a bit until they get broken in to ...more

I never knew that about the spokes. Mine are definitely tight as can be and I am a fat dude putting strain on them for sure. I may be reading into this too much and just need to allow the bike time to realize that it will have to submit to my substantial size. Lol

|

10/5/2020 9:37 PM

Tight spokes are good to have though. Definitely don’t touch those things unless you know what you’re doing.

|

10/6/2020 2:02 PM

Dr Sarcophagus wrote:

I was going to suggest this too.

|

10/10/2020 2:45 PM

So, I have checked everything mentioned so far, and have yet to identify the source of that his noise. I have discovered that the noise is far less pronounced when I ride standing up, and gets more noticeable when I pedal while seated. I really hope it settles in as this is my only complaint about my bike aside from the short bars that I intend to resolve as soon as the ones I want are back in stock.

|

10/10/2020 4:02 PM

put grease on the seat post and maybe the seat guts.

not so much that it doesn't stay in place but just enough to kind of take the edge off the 'metal on metal' bit...

|

10/10/2020 4:17 PM

Might either be in the seat area like Pnj mentioned, or possibly a spoke on the rear wheel. When you are sitting, your weight is more focused on the rear. You can't mess anything up by tightining all your spokes a quarter turn.. Start at the valve stem to help you know once you've gone around complete..

Does the noise happen every time in the same place of the crank position? Or the same place on each rotation of the tire?

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

10/10/2020 4:18 PM

By the way, this would drive me bat shit crazy.. As a ghost, I like my whip DEAD silent...

|

10/10/2020 6:33 PM

I will try the recommendations to grease the seat post, and to tighten the spokes. The spokes may take a bit to get to though as the bike I had as a kid wore Skyway mags, and I would assume that a special tool is needed for the spokes. I will have to look up the procedure for dialing those in properly although they all feel very tight when checking by hand.

The noise seems to happen on the downstroke with each pedal press, but it may be right at the end of the downward stroke as the pedals are preparing to come back up. It is annoying as hell.

|

10/10/2020 6:39 PM

If it's the same place on every crank rotation it's either the seat stuff, or the crank stuff..

Try rocking your seat side to side with your hands to see if you can reproduce the sound..

|