Collecting bikes

Related:
Create New Tag

10/16/2017 9:24 PM

So... looking for opinions. Say you have a new old stock bike that is #5 out of 200 made. It's still in the box. If you were a buyer would you want it still in the box or built out?

I can argue both: If I had a 1980 Star Wars collectible I'd want it new in the box. But that also might scare me with a bike. Maybe it got banged around and frame geometry is off, etc.

Which way would you be more likely to buy it?

|

10/16/2017 9:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/16/2017 9:28 PM

In the box, i could be wrong but I would venture to say, a bike collector would know his/her way around bikes.

Also if the box is original, it adds to the value, including how everything was packaged for transit.

|

10/16/2017 9:33 PM

Personally, if it's a bike I was really into, and planned on keeping, I'd build it. And probably ride it.

But, if I was planning on selling it, I'd keep it in the box.

|

10/17/2017 4:52 AM

What Steve said. I just sold an '87 Mongoose Decade Pro (not in the box) that I rode hard. It definitely showed it's use but was still a solid bike. I bought it because I wanted to ride it. Not as an investment. However, had I bought it & somehow left it in the box all these years, I'd probably sell it as an investment since it's outdated these days. You could get a great money from it (from the sounds of it) & build up a stellar modern bike with money left over (potentially).

What bike is it, if I may ask?

|

10/17/2017 5:06 AM

Unless you plan on taking it for a ride, why bother. If you build it, it could possibly hurt the value, if you don't build it, your in the exact same position you are now.

|

10/17/2017 9:03 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

What Steve said. I just sold an '87 Mongoose Decade Pro (not in the box) that I rode hard. It definitely showed it's use but ...more

I'm kinda a Shadow Conspiracy snob, I have the Invisible Man, The Hundreds, and the Turn it to 11. I don't ride any of them, but the one I am taking about is the Shadow Conspiracy X The Hundreds, and it's the only one still in the box.

|

10/17/2017 9:10 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

What Steve said. I just sold an '87 Mongoose Decade Pro (not in the box) that I rode hard. It definitely showed it's use but ...more

Hbtl_Ofndr wrote:

I'm kinda a Shadow Conspiracy snob, I have the Invisible Man, The Hundreds, and the Turn it to 11. I don't ride any of them, ...more

Well, look it up & see what they are going for... if you are thinking of selling it. See if it's worth it to sell, keep or ride.

|

10/17/2017 9:24 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Well, look it up & see what they are going for... if you are thinking of selling it. See if it's worth it to sell, keep or ...more

That's the hard part, you can't find them, so there is no established market value.

|

10/17/2017 10:54 AM

Hbtl_Ofndr wrote:

I'm kinda a Shadow Conspiracy snob, I have the Invisible Man, The Hundreds, and the Turn it to 11. I don't ride any of them, ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Well, look it up & see what they are going for... if you are thinking of selling it. See if it's worth it to sell, keep or ...more

Hbtl_Ofndr wrote:

That's the hard part, you can't find them, so there is no established market value.

If it is one of 200-give it at least to the next generation of riders from when it came out-or longer. It will honestly take someone who rode in the era it came out to be all over it aside from a collector.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/17/2017 10:59 AM

Well, throw it on BMXmuseum with an outragous price on it that you would sell it for (say it was a $500 bike when new, & you would definitely sell it for $1500) & sell if it get interest, otherwise hang onto it,.

|

10/17/2017 11:25 AM

It's not old enough to be worth anything. Bikes and parts are so easy to come across now they're practically disposable. Hang on to it. In 15 years it might still not be worth much

|

10/17/2017 12:18 PM

Photo

|

Ride till you die

10/17/2017 12:44 PM

@ cam-bmx: Yeah, that last one was from 2014 when you could still get them.

Meh... I guess at least in the box it's not collecting dust. lol I'll just stick it up in the rafters of the garage so I'm not tempted to build it out.

@ Mishinn_Control: Not a bad idea. Probably what I'll do. List it, then get it out of sight/out of mind.

|

10/17/2017 12:58 PM

I know a guy who collects and fixes and sells bikes for a living. He lives in a trailer next to a delapitated barn that he stores his bikes in, not exactly a rich life style.... Just remember that know matter what you collect its only worth what the person who wants it is willing to pay. Start collecting crypto currency instead...

|

10/17/2017 1:47 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

I know a guy who collects and fixes and sells bikes for a living. He lives in a trailer next to a delapitated barn that he ...more

Grrr.... Yeah, still kicking myself in the butt on the bitcoin thing. had a bunch. Then when Mt. Gox got hacked I kinda got out of the game. What I should have done was put about $10,000 in after it dropped tand it was 5 cents per bitcoin! lol

|

10/17/2017 7:40 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

I know a guy who collects and fixes and sells bikes for a living. He lives in a trailer next to a delapitated barn that he ...more

Hbtl_Ofndr wrote:

Grrr.... Yeah, still kicking myself in the butt on the bitcoin thing. had a bunch. Then when Mt. Gox got hacked I kinda got ...more

Yes. Yes you should have. Currently per Google value is 1 Bitcoin equals 5522.08 US Dollar.

You would be up to 2,761,040.00 had you done that with current value and a purchase of 500 bitcoins (10K worth based on your 5 cents per bitcoin).

Bummer.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/17/2017 7:42 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Hbtl_Ofndr wrote:

Grrr.... Yeah, still kicking myself in the butt on the bitcoin thing. had a bunch. Then when Mt. Gox got hacked I kinda got ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

Yes. Yes you should have. Currently per Google value is 1 Bitcoin equals 5522.08 US Dollar.

You would be up to 2,761,040.00 ...more

Can you actually use bitcoin to buy stuff off the internet? Im really out of the loop with that stuff but I hear people talk about it.

|

10/17/2017 7:57 PM

Hbtl_Ofndr wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

You would be up to 2,761,040.00 ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Can you actually use bitcoin to buy stuff off the internet? Im really out of the loop with that stuff but I hear people talk ...more

if you couldnt buy things with bit coin why would it be worth so much.? YES! you can buy everything from food to houses to people with bitcoin, It will be interesting to see the future of block chain tech unfold.....

|