College project: Ramp

Related:
Create New Tag

3/13/2018 8:13 AM

Hi all I am Pui and currently a student studying Art foundation at college doing product design. I have set myself a brief to design a foldable and adjustable ramp with small storage compartments and your thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated.

I have a question, as part of my college project I will need to do research.
I would like to know what is the difference between a straight ramp and one that is curved like a quarter pipe. Does this make certain tricks easier on one type of ramp compared to the other?

I would like you hear if you have any ideas that would be helpful.

So far I have looked at the jumpack ramp for inspiration.

|

3/13/2018 8:26 AM

Is a ramp really a good choice for a product design project? There's literally nothing you can do to it, it's a ramp.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

3/13/2018 8:30 AM

quarter pipes, as a general rule, weren't designed to launch off of. Rather, they were designed (if you can call it that) to be launched OUT of & then back into.... sorta like a launch AND landing ramp. The reason I say "if you can call it that" when referring to their design is because the first quarter pipes were basically just a persons attempt at creating the curvature of a swimming pool bowl... just the one quarter of it. Or a quarter of a pipe.... hence the name.

Anyway, a flat(er) "straight" ramp is more of a transition portion of another ramp scheme whereas a quarter is generally a ramp unto itself.

|

3/13/2018 8:31 AM

Hi XXohioanxx,
I was thinking of designing a ramp which allows riders to take it anywhere you want. At home, to skateparks or at a parking lot. Etc. As I feel that some ramps are not used often and are just abandoned in the backyard or shed. My design would be different as there will also be storage compartments integrated. Also allows you to adjust to different ramp heights.

|

3/13/2018 8:37 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

quarter pipes, as a general rule, weren't designed to launch off of. Rather, they were designed (if you can call it that) to ...more

Thanks Mishinn-Control for your response, that’s really interesting I’m fasincated to have learnt that the quarter pipe refered back to the swimming pool structure.

|

3/13/2018 8:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/13/2018 9:17 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

quarter pipes, as a general rule, weren't designed to launch off of. Rather, they were designed (if you can call it that) to ...more

Pui wrote:

Thanks Mishinn-Control for your response, that’s really interesting I’m fasincated to have learnt that the quarter pipe ...more

There are some videos out there about the subject. It all started with skateboarders skating old empty pools. Soon after, adventurous BMXers followed (no doubt after watching skaters). Of course, back then, finding an empty pool wasn't easy. Let alone one that the owners would be alright with you riding/skating in. Large storm drain pipes were another area skaters took to (and BMXers). So, when people started doing "tricks" if they wanted to do any sort of "air" tricks or bowl tricks, they had to come up with a portable ramp. Check this one out. This was the design that was published in BMX action magazine years ago:

Photo

|

3/13/2018 9:05 AM

What about a grind box?

There's quite a few mobile rail set ups that are pretty popular, mobile grindboxes would be sweet to go with them.

You coule make it extendable in length with adjustable legs so you can set it up at different angles.

Maybe even include a small piece of transition that can be added to the bottom when angled to make a kicker ramp.

The possibilities could be endless.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/13/2018 9:43 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

There are some videos out there about the subject. It all started with skateboarders skating old empty pools. Soon after, ...more

I will have a look at it and see if there is any more information on the Internet. Thank you ! This Is very useful and I will include this in my projects as part of research.

|

3/13/2018 9:46 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

What about a grind box?

There's quite a few mobile rail set ups that are pretty popular, mobile grindboxes would be sweet to ...more

That sounds a cool idea I will take this into consideration. If possible if you do have the time to maybe do a quick sketch of the design so I could understand it much better visually. Thanks HardBMX_Tim

|

3/13/2018 10:01 AM

Ok... before you think I'm bashing your ideas, I'm not.

But in all reality, what are these ramps going to be made from wood? Once you have all the wood and everything built up, it's going to be pretty damn heavy... and that would be hard to make a foldable and portable ramp...

Unless you plan on making it from a strong, light material... idk though I could be totally wrong...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

3/13/2018 10:08 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

But in all reality, what are these ramps going to be made from wood? ...more

I would think it can be done. Not sure it's a viable "product" per se.... but a lot of it depends on your definition of "portable". Technically, a popup camper is "portable". The ramp I posted in the picture above was "portable". Now, the ramp he might be thinking of may not be something a rider could strap to their back. But if it fits in the trunk, you could bring it to a session spot.

|

3/13/2018 10:10 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Hi HondaCRFRacer, I feel that is good to have someone to criticise or question the idea. It helps me to rethink aswell. Yeah I understand that if it was to be made out of wood it would weigh a ton and who would want to carry that around. Erm I was thinking a strong lightweight material. ABS? Composite material. I’ve just realised that one of the things I haven’t done is check what material is the college has... what about your thoughts?

|

3/13/2018 10:11 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

What about a grind box?

There's quite a few mobile rail set ups that are pretty popular, mobile grindboxes would be sweet to ...more

Pui wrote:

That sounds a cool idea I will take this into consideration. If possible if you do have the time to maybe do a quick sketch of ...more

Photo

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

3/13/2018 10:16 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I would think it can be done. Not sure it's a viable "product" per se.... but a lot of it depends on your definition of ...more

Yeah the brief that I set myself, my teacher said that having a list of points that you could try and solve but then sometimes you may not be able to cover all the points. In this case would be a ramp that is foldable adjustable allowing you to take it to other places. for example if the design ended up being portable and also allow some storage space however you couldn’t strap it onto yourself or the bike. I think that would be fine as it shows that I thought of ideas that worked and didn’t work.

|

3/13/2018 10:26 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote: Photo

That’s great thanks for taking the time to design the idea. I have a question about the second diagram... the detachable transition piece it is just a one size? The rectangular box would be adjustable... so if this was to go higher or lower would this change the line? As in you would ride up then the angle won’t be going straight upright. (If that makes any sense at all what I’m saying?) so if you adjust the leg and move the box down slightly will there be a slight gap between Detachable transition piece and the box?

|

3/13/2018 10:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/13/2018 10:31 AM

Photo

Hi all, I forgot to add the brief that I wrote

|

3/13/2018 10:35 AM

Pui wrote:

That sounds a cool idea I will take this into consideration. If possible if you do have the time to maybe do a quick sketch of ...more

Pui wrote:

That’s great thanks for taking the time to design the idea. I have a question about the second diagram... the detachable ...more

Maybe make some wedge pieces to compensate, or something.

Just an idea, for you to master wink

|

3/13/2018 10:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/13/2018 10:38 AM

Pui wrote:

That’s great thanks for taking the time to design the idea. I have a question about the second diagram... the detachable ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Maybe make some wedge pieces to compensate, or something.

Just an idea, for you to master wink

Alright thanks I really appreciate your time and contribution. I will start to think of ideas of how this may work.

|

3/13/2018 10:51 AM

One important thing as well is how the curve or straight style ramps feel when hit by a bike. As general rule, curved ramps mean less of an initial bunnyhop when taking off compared to straight, flat ramps. Both styles of ramps make certain tricks easier.

I noticed how your description states learning bunnyhops. Just FYI, bunnyhops aren’t usually learned on ramps.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

3/13/2018 11:07 AM

Search stunt show box jumps , they’re big contest sized jumps that can be built into trailers and towed around anywhere

|

3/13/2018 11:26 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I would think it can be done. Not sure it's a viable "product" per se.... but a lot of it depends on your definition of ...more

Well, I'm not thinking of something to throw on your back and ride around with it, but my little mini quarter that I built is 4ft wide amd 4ft or 5ft tall don't remember... I built it from a couple 2x4s and 1/4" house siding... it could be "portable" I guess, I mean I can push it around and put it in the bed of a truck... but that ramp weighs ALOT... I'm still not sure on if the OP is wanting a portable quarter pipe or kicker ramp... I can't think of a way you can build a strong, durable, lightweight and portable quarter pipe... if the OP is wanting to make a portable kicker ramp, that's easy, but a full on quarter pipe would be a bit more difficult....

|

3/13/2018 11:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/13/2018 11:48 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Pui wrote:

Hi HondaCRFRacer, I feel that is good to have someone to criticise or question the idea. It helps me to rethink aswell. Yeah I ...more

No problem dude, I like to question people's ideas as I know I like to have mine questioned becasue it also does help me rethink and give me amother perspective to look at something to improve whatever it is I'm doing...

And about ABS, you mean Anti-Braking-System?laughing I know that's not what you meant, but I have know idea what that is... I'm guessing its maybe some sort of plastic material? If so, I wouldn't trust a plastic ramp...

|

3/13/2018 11:45 AM

Yeah abs is plastic

|

Hmmm

3/13/2018 11:48 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Yeah abs is plastic

Yeah than I wouldn't use ABS then @Pui

|

3/13/2018 11:58 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

WIth embedded glass fiber and proper reinforcement, I can't see much wrong with ABS. That is, as long as it's not intended as any kind of permanent structure, which the OP clearly states is not the aim.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/13/2018 12:04 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

WIth embedded glass fiber and proper reinforcement, I can't see much wrong with ABS. That is, as long as it's not intended as ...more

Well then, I'm wrong lol... I don't know how strong ABS is considering it's plastic... but what yiu said makes sense with it bring reinforced with other materials... well @Pui maybe try using that then!

|

3/13/2018 12:18 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

WIth embedded glass fiber and proper reinforcement, I can't see much wrong with ABS. That is, as long as it's not intended as ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Well then, I'm wrong lol... I don't know how strong ABS is considering it's plastic... but what yiu said makes sense with it ...more

Honda, ABS is in just about everything these days. Any modern car is filled with it. Dashboards, bumpers, brackets, ALL OVER modern cars.

|

3/13/2018 12:23 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Well then, I'm wrong lol... I don't know how strong ABS is considering it's plastic... but what yiu said makes sense with it ...more

I think maybe it would need to be textured for grip

|

Hmmm

3/13/2018 12:26 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

I think maybe it would need to be textured for grip

Certainly.... or have a sheet of grip tape applied to the riding surface. The other problem might be keeping it in place when you ride it. If it were on a concrete or similar surface, It'd be prone to slipping. You certainly wouldn't want it sliding out from under you!

|

3/13/2018 1:34 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Certainly.... or have a sheet of grip tape applied to the riding surface. The other problem might be keeping it in place when ...more

A medium hardness rubber could be used to hold it in place quite well without wearing out too quickly.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson