Colony Freecoaster Issue

Related:
Create New Tag

4/6/2016 5:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/6/2016 5:43 AM

Hey guys, I bought this coaster a few weeks ago, been pretty easy on it. Before I go on, please note I work as a mechanic so I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to working on things lol. But anyways, I went to take it apart, clean and regrease it, adjust the slack a bit, put it back together properly, I even followed a tutorial on how to do so since this is my first freecoaster. Now, it will pedal somewhat forward, but it feels really tense. Pedaling backwards is almost impossible for some reason. I go to kick it backwards and it goes around maybe an 1/8th of a crank if that. Mind you, the chain is already really loose, so it can't be that. Also tried it with the chain being tighter. So far I've taken it apart about 4 times now, cleaning and regreasing, checking for stripped, warped parts, and can't find anything. Anybody have any suggestions?

|

4/6/2016 7:53 AM

It could possibly be that you have tightened the drive side nut (the one that holds the driver on) too tightly or you blew the driver bearing somehow.

|

4/6/2016 9:10 AM

get some tech support from the shop you ordered it from or try contacting Colony themselves. Sorry, I don't have any freecoaster experience. Hope you get it resolved

|

4/6/2016 10:47 AM

I had this coaster before, and this problem is not caused by a too much tighten cone nut (drive side) because even supertighten, the wheel move normally, if it's loose the wheel will wobble side to side.
So I bet you followed the colony tuto which is well made so don't need to explain more how it works, plus you have mechanic skills. But one day when I was riding that coaster pedaling was feeling rough and weird, the crank was barely turning at some point, that was a bearing of the driver that blew out, the inner circle of the bearing was broken in multiple parts, and balls were hanging inside the driver, this freecoaster driver (like alot of others) has two bearing side to side inside the driver, I had exploxe the inner one so after retiring the first bearing, the oustide circle of my exploded bearing was stuck inside the driver, no way to get it out, so i had to buy a whole new driver instead of just a bearing.
Your problem probably come from the driver, check it,and I hope you don't have a broken bearing stuck like me.

|

4/7/2016 5:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/7/2016 5:42 AM

Well, took it all apart again. Cleaned it, checked the bearings, none are broken from what i can tell. They all spin smoothly. What I did find was that the hat washer, that goes between the axle spring and slack washers, has a little chip in it. I filed it down, put it back in, and it des the same thing. Could that whole hat washer need to be replaced? If so where can I get one? Been looking and can't find it online. If it's not the hat washer causing the problem, then I'm out of ideas. Everything else checks out.

|

4/7/2016 11:03 AM

cynicaldaze wrote:

Well, took it all apart again. Cleaned it, checked the bearings, none are broken from what i can tell. They all spin smoothly. ...more

any way to make a vid of you building it up?

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

4/7/2016 2:31 PM

Is it facing the correct way? Is your clutch all the way on when you reassemble it? Sounds silly but it COULD be sitting off a bit and getting caught on something.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/7/2016 2:42 PM

You need more grease, or thinner grease if you replaced it with something like heavy industrial grease. Phil wood grease is the ideal balance. Also find the cone nut tightness at which your wheel has maybe just a tiny bit of wobble and then go from there.

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

4/7/2016 7:51 PM

Photo

Pretty sure its being caused by this hat washer. Anyone know where i can buy one? I've checked all over online no luck. The hub is a colony clone freecoaster LHD
|

4/7/2016 7:54 PM

Looks like it was getting crushed in there when you backpedaled...which tells me either it was in the wrong way, wrong spot, OR somehow sat wrong in there.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/7/2016 7:58 PM

I believe its made to go in both ways. One adds more slack the other reduces. Unsure on how it happened. I hope this is the thing causing the issue. Any ideas where i can get a new one?

|

4/8/2016 2:22 PM

Contact colony and see if they can either sell you one or give one to you

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

4/8/2016 2:31 PM

cynicaldaze wrote:

I believe its made to go in both ways. One adds more slack the other reduces. Unsure on how it happened. I hope this is the ...more

Never heard that before. I've had a few different coasters, all had hat washers, and none were used as more/less slack, that's what the slack washers are for. In the KHE coaster I ran, putting it in backwards caused it to never decently engage.

I would email Colony.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/8/2016 4:12 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

Contact colony and see if they can either sell you one or give one to you

That and call the nearest distributor to your area. When I had a problem with a Colony part years ago, I contacted the distro and they hooked me up with free replacement parts.

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

4/8/2016 7:51 PM

Emailed colony. Still no response. I will be sending it in monday more than likely to danscomp to get it fixed or replaced.

|

4/9/2016 4:54 AM

just take it apart again and try again ive had this problem with my cinema one and i just keep taking the axle out and putting it back in and it works but then again sometimes it doesnt pedal at all so i do the same thing and it fixes it. to me your top hat washer looks fine

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA