Coming back after 2 years chronic back pain

Related:
Create New Tag

2/12/2017 6:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/12/2017 7:00 PM

Hey guys, I had to quit bmx 2 years ago due to back pain and my back is finally getting better. I still have a long way to go before I even think about touching a bike, but I was wondering if anyone has gone through something similar and has any tips on what to do to prepare myself to start bmxing again? I have been strengthening my core and hips for a while now, but still am very stiff about my spine (I'm only 19 btw). Had to stop streching a long time ago because it made it worse. I'm working on hip mobility, but my hamstrings are very tight.

|

2/12/2017 7:33 PM

Go to a physio therapist

|

2/12/2017 8:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/12/2017 8:03 PM

Ease into it, warm up before each session and only stretch as far as is comfortable. If there's a pumptrack/racetrack near you, pump(not cycle) a few laps of it every day before you go to ride something else. It'll get you familiar with your bike again very quickly, increase your fitness, loosen you up a bit and it'll make you ride smoother which should prevent re-injury. Over time this should help both your back and your riding improve.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/12/2017 8:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/12/2017 8:15 PM

Stretch and ride. Start slowly, and work your way up. It took me a couple months of some serious back pain Everytime I went out. I started stretching, and sit ups, and just rode whenever I wasn't too sore. Eventually my muscles got stronger, and no more pain.
I took a 10 year break, so I knew what I needed to do in my head, but my body was not prepared for the abuse that my brain was putting it through.

Wow I just saw your only 19. Stretching can not make anything worse. That's dumb. Stop being a pussy and ride through the pain. I wish I had your body. You don't know real pain untill you have beat the shit out of your body for 20 years on skateboards, snowboards, BMX, motocross. Just shut up. Go earn some bitching rights.
"Wahhh it's too hard"

|

2/12/2017 9:47 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Stretch and ride. Start slowly, and work your way up. It took me a couple months of some serious back pain Everytime I went out. I started stretching, and sit ups, and just rode whenever I wasn't too sore. Eventually my muscles got stronger, and no more pain.
I took a 10 year break, so I knew what I needed to do in my head, but my body was not prepared for the abuse that my brain was putting it through.

Wow I just saw your only 19. Stretching can not make anything worse. That's dumb. Stop being a pussy and ride through the pain. I wish I had your body. You don't know real pain untill you have beat the shit out of your body for 20 years on skateboards, snowboards, BMX, motocross. Just shut up. Go earn some bitching rights.
"Wahhh it's too hard"

Hey man you don't know what he's gone through for all we know he could have had a serious back injury when he was younger. Give him a break jeez

Core and lower back exercises will help immensely. Try doing a shorter stem and bigger bars so you're more up upright when you ride. Happy shredding

|

2/12/2017 9:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/12/2017 9:55 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

"Wahhh it's too hard"

Stretching can most certainly make things worse. If I do the cobra stretch and completely relax my lower back, it irritates the fuck out of it and actually does more harm than good. So there's definitely some that can make it worse. Same with riding through the pain.

I have a herniated disc in my lower back, I'll add what I can but you already know about stretching and core strengthening. Improve your posture too and how you lift heavy objects. It goes a long way.

As far as getting back into bmx goes, definitely ease back into it. I started out really small, seeing what hurt and what didn't. Luckily not a lot hurt. It takes some time but you'll get back to where you once were and start progressing again even

|

2/12/2017 9:52 PM

I'm old enough to be your dad.

I had back surgery.

See a fucking GOOD doctor/sports therapist.

|

2/13/2017 12:05 AM

Age is irrelevant, anyone at any age can get a back injury.

Just make sure you see a doctor and get some advice from them. Riding could make it worse, so be careful otherwise you could do more damage

|

2/13/2017 9:20 AM

Yeah I know I'm an asshole. Sorry

|

2/13/2017 11:14 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Age is irrelevant, anyone at any age can get a back injury.

Just make sure you see a doctor and get some advice from them. Riding could make it worse, so be careful otherwise you could do more damage

I mentioned me being much older because, as a much older guy, I've been dealing with back pain for much longer than the OP.

As you mentioned, the best thing to do is to see a doctor.

I suggest a sports medicine doctor as they seem to have a better understanding of how we use/abuse our bodies.

|