Coming back after knee surgery.

Related:
Create New Tag

10/17/2019 1:57 AM

I had my ACL replaced and my meniscus ''scaped out'' about 8 months ago. I'm finally getting back on my bike but my doc said he doesn't want me doing any tricks for at least a year. I've been cruising around and doing little hops and grinds but nothing major.

I finished physical therapy but it still has those stiff/ sore days, plus I'm super scared re-injuring it.

Has anyone else had this surgery and have any advice on fully coming back? I've been dealing with this knee now for about 2 years and just doing little stuff. I really miss being able to ride at full potential.

|

10/17/2019 2:11 AM

Every doctor is different and does things differently. I tore my right ACL years ago and got the okay to ease back in at 5-6 months. 6 months is the bare minimum for it to be “healed” but takes up to 9-12 months for things like cutting/high impact sports

So that’s really your call, there’s always a chance you can re-injure it but I think the battle is more mental and you’re scared of hurting it again. I’m not trying to scare you but I’m currently healing up from my 2nd ACL tear + meniscus this time (in the other knee though) but I’ve been curious how my knee will heal up and stuff since I had the meniscus trimmed in one area and a stitch in another area. I know I’ll be back at it though and so will you, you’ll be fine

|

10/17/2019 5:55 AM

mikeygee wrote:

I had my ACL replaced and my meniscus ''scaped out'' about 8 months ago. I'm finally getting back on my bike but my doc said he doesn't want me doing any tricks for at least a year. I've been cruising around and doing little hops and grinds but nothing major.

I finished physical therapy but it still has those stiff/ sore days, plus I'm super scared re-injuring it.

Has anyone else had this surgery and have any advice on fully coming back? I've been dealing with this knee now for about 2 years and just doing little stuff. I really miss being able to ride at full potential.

My knee after the surgery feels like shit. Id say shift your priorities on maximizing fun per session and find things to do that challenge you but arent as physically demanding. Less drops/going big, more small jibby/tech stuff, thats my recommendation.

|

10/17/2019 8:25 AM

Make sure you keep doing the PT on your own, gotta strengthen the muscles around your knee. Squats and calf raises are my main ones now after stretching. I waited the minimum recommended 9 months to pad up and hit a park and still haven't got back to where I was pre injury. Gotta put the time in and get past the fears again.

|

10/19/2019 5:29 AM

I ha surgery at the peak of my riding ability. This was 7 years ago. My knee has never felt like I could go shred hard like i used to. I got back into riding about a year ago. I still flip and do a few things but it’s just scary. Also somehow my pcl tore without me knowing. When I wen to the doctor for instability.

|