Commitment

Related:
Create New Tag

6/2/2014 1:49 PM

One of the biggest problems I have when trying to do a trick on a bike is committing

One example is for grinds. I roll up to the damn box or rail or whatever but I just have trouble hopping on. JUST DOING IT is hard. Another thing is the barspins. WHY CANT I LET GO OF THE BARS?!? I keep telling myself Im going to let go of them and it's only certain times that I actually do. But even when I throw, I cant keep the bike under me, so I still have to figure that bit out.

But anyway, my question is? Do you have a certain way of getting to commit? Or does it just come naturally when you learn the tricks?

|

6/2/2014 2:38 PM

It's really all in your head, just visualize doing it and try not to hesitate. You don't have to nail the trick the first time; you'll get a feel for it and fine tune your attempts, then you'll be dialed.

|

6/3/2014 8:11 AM

the only thing I had trouble commiting on was airing or like slowing down right before hitting something, I took my brakes off and solved that pretty quickly. but just dont think of things as " I might get hurt on this" think of it as " I might NOT get hurt on this" and just huck it.

|

refs:JakeSalbert whirls32 BEASTASSDICKwink bobPA tony larson bmx brentrides
fondue:"BMX is like weed. You can buy bongs and pipes, but smoking is illegal. Next time tell the cop you have a prescription to bmx"
first member of the fortnight EVERJULY 1ST -14TH

6/3/2014 10:34 AM

I usually just have to keep rolling up to something and eventually i'll either commit and land it or get close.
For grinds having a smaller box that doesn't take much effort to get onto can help, i have a smaller box thats just a few inches over peg height so it's easy to learn new stuff on, then i take it to my higher box.

|

6/3/2014 3:28 PM

I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Im more willing to let go of the bars now, grinds come a bit easier, its like once I do it once, I can do it again. For bars, though, my body just never wants to let go of them, I just have to force it.

Anyway, thank you all for all your suggestions!

|

6/4/2014 2:59 AM

you just kinda goota keep going at it and either think about it or not, eventually youll go for it when youre comfortable

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

6/4/2014 12:02 PM

I just tell myself to stop being a bitch, it won't kill me. That usually works

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

6/4/2014 5:52 PM

I used to hit something just going as fast as i can and if i were to come off and screw myself not to bad id tell myself "There you go, thats the worst that can happen" hahaha actually worked

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

6/4/2014 8:58 PM

Good God, grinds are the absolute worst. I go from decent grinds on 1.5 ft plastic benches and concrete ledges to not being able to do anything one sudden day and then completely losing it from there. I kinda went blank the day I attempted the grinds and landed them as I had never even thought about it. You just gotta find some way to let go. I usually only get this feeling riding and being pumped and blindly confident. Otherwise, I can suck at EVERYTHING on a bike.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke