Companies whose frames you would be scared to ride

Related:
Create New Tag

2/17/2019 12:51 PM

Not a hate thread just wanna see what people think of differnt companies across differnt parts of the world.

|

I believe in hub guard protection

2/17/2019 1:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/3/2019 10:45 PM

Brand name doesn't worry me as much as hi-ten steel does. And the majority of company's parts and frames are made in the same small handful of metal shops either here in the US or factories overseas. Being "scared to ride it" kinda depends on your skill level of riding as well. Even a Walmart Mongoose or something can hold up to light street/park/dirt use, especially if you're smooth. But try to use it something past beginner level and you're probably gonna snap/bend parts and get yourself hurt. As far as different brands go, I'm obviously from the US, and as with most Americans would rather support domestic manufacturing if given the choice. But unfortunately I couldn't afford a new US made one or find one secondhand for cheap, so both of my current frames are from overseas but US brands. My last frame i just sold was a WTP as well, so i personally have no problem supporting foreign brands as long as their products are quality

|

2/17/2019 1:45 PM

-Havok- wrote:

Brand name doesn't worry me as much as hi-ten steel does. And the majority of company's parts and frames are made in the same small handful of metal shops either here in the US or factories overseas. Being "scared to ride it" kinda depends on your skill level of riding as well. Even a Walmart Mongoose or something can hold up to light street/park/dirt use, especially if you're smooth. But try to use it something past beginner level and you're probably gonna snap/bend parts and get yourself hurt. As far as different brands go, I'm obviously from the US, and as with most Americans would rather support domestic manufacturing if given the choice. But unfortunately I couldn't afford a new US made one or find one secondhand for cheap, so both of my current frames are from overseas but US brands. My last frame i just sold was a WTP as well, so i personally have no problem supporting foreign brands as long as their products are quality

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/17/2019 1:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/17/2019 1:59 PM

Lol well he said he wanted to hear opinions, so i gave a pretty detailed one

|

2/17/2019 2:06 PM

-Havok- wrote:

Lol well he said he wanted to hear opinions, so i gave a pretty detailed one

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/17/2019 3:42 PM

probably companies that are or I feel are more geared towards park rat riding. Total or Colony to name some. I would never feel safe doing a big drop on them personally.

And ones that are insanely light, but those can be from any company I suppose. Premium had the Low-Pez LT frame like 10 years and it was 3lbs 8oz... not even titanium either, I'd never feel safe on that. That and the G̶u̶t̶t̶e̶r̶s̶h̶a̶r̶t̶, Guttershark. So probably add Premium to that list too now that I think about it.

|

2/17/2019 6:47 PM

never one of fit's complete-grade hi ten steel frames. I've bent one in 3 months of learning 180s and 3's (and maybe the occasional flyout whip)

|

2/17/2019 7:46 PM

It's funny I saw the gutter shark mentioned about 10 or so years ago in Tampa with Zack Gerber he was trying a front flip off a up ledge and twisted his frame and me and about 4 other guys were trying to bend it back also I always forget to introduce myself my name is Bryan and I have been riding BMX for 26 years straight.

|

I believe in hub guard protection

2/17/2019 10:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/3/2019 10:47 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Had a gif back to this but it's too much work lol

|

2/18/2019 12:19 AM

PastaIsLitty wrote:

never one of fit's complete-grade hi ten steel frames. I've bent one in 3 months of learning 180s and 3's (and maybe the occasional flyout whip)

Did you drop in on any 9ft quarters?

|

2/18/2019 12:29 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

probably companies that are or I feel are more geared towards park rat riding. Total or Colony to name some. I would never feel safe doing a big drop on them personally.

And ones that are insanely light, but those can be from any company I suppose. Premium had the Low-Pez LT frame like 10 years and it was 3lbs 8oz... not even titanium either, I'd never feel safe on that. That and the G̶u̶t̶t̶e̶r̶s̶h̶a̶r̶t̶, Guttershark. So probably add Premium to that list too now that I think about it.

lol i ride a premium. but its chromoly and heavy

|

its prawns, not shrimp idiot

2/19/2019 5:20 AM

Honestly, if it was handed to me and chromoly, I would give it a go. My riding is so much different now than it was 10 years ago that I wouldn't likely snap, or even bend a frame anymore. It's pretty rare I get into HUCK IT mode these days.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/19/2019 6:50 AM

RumHam wrote:

Did you drop in on any 9ft quarters?

Yup.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/19/2019 7:30 AM

I don't do anything dangerous. But I probably wouldn't trust a rusty 80''s race frame.

|

2/19/2019 10:46 AM

I'm not really scared of any aftermarket frames breaking particularly easily. But there's a few I'd be scared of getting laughed at for riding.

|

2/20/2019 10:19 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I'm not really scared of any aftermarket frames breaking particularly easily. But there's a few I'd be scared of getting laughed at for riding.

Haha like what?

|

2/20/2019 10:20 AM

Really the only frames I would be wary of would be any made of aluminum or titanium. Chromoly tends to crack/bend for it breaks completely so you'll have some warning before your frame blows up. But aluminum/titanium will crack in half with little warning (from what I've heard)

|

2/20/2019 11:31 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I would embrace those, and laugh when those frames outlast the aftermarket stuff those a-holes ride.

I did that a couple times back in the day. Always fun.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/23/2019 8:18 PM

Haven’t heard anything from them brand in a while, but I remember there was a period where a lot of people were snapping Stolen frames. Not sure if it was a bad batch or what was going on, but I would be spooked to take one down a big set. Hopefully they sorted that out

|

2/23/2019 8:56 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

I would embrace those, and laugh when those frames outlast the aftermarket stuff those a-holes ride.

I did that a couple times back in the day. Always fun.

I wouldn't mind getting laughed at for riding a Mongoose team rider's frame if I was able to acquire one. Ignorant people would talk shit thinking it's a garbage walgoose, not knowing it's actually Mike Laird that makes their frames. That would shut people up real quick

|

2/24/2019 12:39 PM

Not scared but wouldn’t ride:

Cult
Stranger
Premium
Mafia
Skeptical of newer flys but still like the brand
Haro
S&M
Collective or whatever
Mongoose
Tall order even though I had one lol

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

2/24/2019 1:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/3/2019 10:48 PM

Four wrote:

Not scared but wouldn’t ride:

Cult
Stranger
Premium
Mafia
Skeptical of newer flys but still like the brand
Haro
S&M
Collective or whatever
Mongoose
Tall order even though I had one lol

Reasoning?

|

2/24/2019 2:03 PM

-Havok- wrote:

Reasoning?

Cult- too edgy 4 me and I’ve never been impressed by them seem to me they’re the edgy 14 yo brand

Stranger- just a wack company imo. It’s the vlogger youtuber brand with nothing really to offer same as cult essentially

Premium is just outdated all their frames are the same generic geo and shit

Mafia- lol.

Fly has been my one of my favorite companies since I started and I’ve had like 7 flys but around 2011 their quality went to shit. I got a Tierra v4 off here in good shape and cracked it in a week. The Montana cracked a lot too.

Haro- same as premium everyone of their frames is the same with the 13.75 cs and their retro shit is cool for the older guys but not my thing.

S&m- possibly one of the most over hyped companies. I’ve had forks, bars and frames and never been impressed with any. for their price (I know they’re American) they just aren’t anything special.

Collective is Another youtuber brand or whatever self explanatory

Mongoose I just can’t bring myself to haha. It’s mongoose.

Tall order is just kind of a wack brand, wack name wack everything lol. The frame I had was decent I guess.

There’s a lot more companies I don’t like much but would still ride them like bsd, Total (ive had 3), wtp, dk etc

|

2/24/2019 3:23 PM

I knew when this thread was first made someone was going to say S&M and the reasoning was going to be something you could literally say about any other brand...

The only "special" thing about S&M frames, bars, and forks is: American made, use American made tubing and have a pretty nice warranty vs. others... Oh, and the shit load of options/ colors.

If none of that tickles your fancy I could see why you wouldn't be impressed.

I'm in the same camp of "if it's aftermarket and in my size I'll ride it", but S&M/ FBM are my top choices when it comes to frames, bars and forks (especially since those things usually last me years).

|

2/24/2019 3:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/24/2019 3:38 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

I knew when this thread was first made someone was going to say S&M and the reasoning was going to be something you could literally say about any other brand...

The only "special" thing about S&M frames, bars, and forks is: American made, use American made tubing and have a pretty nice warranty vs. others... Oh, and the shit load of options/ colors.

If none of that tickles your fancy I could see why you wouldn't be impressed.

I'm in the same camp of "if it's aftermarket and in my size I'll ride it", but S&M/ FBM are my top choices when it comes to frames, bars and forks (especially since those things usually last me years).

You could but the thing that puts me off even more is the fact that their frames and products cost a lot more than other brands (as well as fbm) By the time you pay shipping you’re probably paying near 375 for an s&m frame. their quality isn’t really any better than other companies if anything I’d say I see more issues with s&m than most companies. Their warranty was changed if I recall to one year instead of life time. For the price you pay for them you could odyssey/ Sunday parts. Or another frame in the 300-330 range with just as good if not better quality

That’s just frames alone their bars are heavier than pretty much all bars on the market and I still managed to bend grand slam xlts in about two weeks.

Everyone has brands they like and such though. I tend to stay away from the overpriced frames and bars.

|

2/24/2019 3:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/24/2019 3:53 PM

Four wrote:

Cult- too edgy 4 me and I’ve never been impressed by them seem to me they’re the edgy 14 yo brand

Stranger- just a wack company imo. It’s the vlogger youtuber brand with nothing really to offer same as cult essentially

Premium is just outdated all their frames are the same generic geo and shit

Mafia- lol.

Fly has been my one of my favorite companies since I started and I’ve had like 7 flys but around 2011 their quality went to shit. I got a Tierra v4 off here in good shape and cracked it in a week. The Montana cracked a lot too.

Haro- same as premium everyone of their frames is the same with the 13.75 cs and their retro shit is cool for the older guys but not my thing.

S&m- possibly one of the most over hyped companies. I’ve had forks, bars and frames and never been impressed with any. for their price (I know they’re American) they just aren’t anything special.

Collective is Another youtuber brand or whatever self explanatory

Mongoose I just can’t bring myself to haha. It’s mongoose.

Tall order is just kind of a wack brand, wack name wack everything lol. The frame I had was decent I guess.

There’s a lot more companies I don’t like much but would still ride them like bsd, Total (ive had 3), wtp, dk etc

Does Tall Order sound like a wack name to Americans? I guess it's a very British saying. I thought it was a pretty good name.

Are you really saying that Tall Order is just too English? I reckon that's a great reason on its own haha.

|

2/24/2019 3:54 PM

SirCaseAlot wrote:

Does Tall Order sound like a wack name to Americans? I guess it's a very British saying. I thought it was a pretty good name.

Are you really saying that Tall Order is just too English? I reckon that's a great reason on its own haha.

Yeah kind of lol tbh. I’ve never heard anyone say it in the states so it’s just kind of a random name to us that doesn’t make sense lol.

|

2/24/2019 4:04 PM

Four wrote:

You could but the thing that puts me off even more is the fact that their frames and products cost a lot more than other brands (as well as fbm) By the time you pay shipping you’re probably paying near 375 for an s&m frame. their quality isn’t really any better than other companies if anything I’d say I see more issues with s&m than most companies. Their warranty was changed if I recall to one year instead of life time. For the price you pay for them you could odyssey/ Sunday parts. Or another frame in the 300-330 range with just as good if not better quality

That’s just frames alone their bars are heavier than pretty much all bars on the market and I still managed to bend grand slam xlts in about two weeks.

Everyone has brands they like and such though. I tend to stay away from the overpriced frames and bars.

S&M's Warranty:
30 Day Warranty Against Manufacturer’s Defects
1 Year Warranty Against Failure
Lifetime Warranty Upgrade

Also, almost everything S&M makes is sold in pretty short time (think of how much shit they've sold in just the past 10yrs). Their parts are also widely sold "used" on the second hand market... This (imo) justifies the amount of small issues I've seen on the interwebs over the years.

Yes, I've seen pics of "new" S&M parts that broke prematurely (extremely rare & warranty has you covered), but the majority of the time it's stuff that's been used/ abused and sold.

Also, what happened when you bent the Grand Slams? Did you hit up S&M? Did they take care of you?

My fat ass (250lbs+) couldn't even manage to slip my 10" bars of theirs, let alone bend them doing average gaps and drops...
|

2/24/2019 4:22 PM

Bryan91 wrote: S&M's Warranty:
30 Day Warranty Against Manufacturer’s Defects
1 Year Warranty Against Failure
Lifetime Warranty Upgrade

Also, almost everything S&M makes is sold in pretty short time (think of how much shit they've sold in just the past 10yrs). Their parts are also widely sold "used" on the second hand market... This (imo) justifies the amount of small issues I've seen on the interwebs over the years.

Yes, I've seen pics of "new" S&M parts that broke prematurely (extremely rare & warranty has you covered), but the majority of the time it's stuff that's been used/ abused and sold.

Also, what happened when you bent the Grand Slams? Did you hit up S&M? Did they take care of you?

My fat ass (250lbs+) couldn't even manage to slip my 10" bars of theirs, let alone bend them doing average gaps and drops...

Yeah but you still have to purchase a new one vs getting sent a new part free.

There’s a lot of them soldier I’d say just as many break. Their welds are often bad straight out of the factory as of the newer models.

I didn’t do anything with the slams I traded them for different bars lol I wasn’t too interested in getting more or trying to warranty

I’ve never rode the 10s but they’re 38ish oz if I recall so they probably are pretty hard to bend.

I just think they have enough issues and really their strength isn’t anything special to warrant the price tag of 75 dollar bars/ 360 dollar frames or whatever I’d rather get a frame that’s just as good for cheaper.

|

2/24/2019 4:47 PM

-Havok- wrote:

Standard No one knows the quality of these bikes other then us Older heads. Standard is amazing . By far in the top 1-2 frame builders made.. Anyone that knows anything about tubing quality, ( OX plat 4130 ) and their welding is unreal. Best warranty in the business.

2) S&M / FIT / CULT same welders, good quality good materials.
3) T-1 got their shit together a long time ago...Joe and Taj set a bar in quality a long time ago and ive never seen a t-1 fail.
4) KINK Much changed after they changed ownership and team years ago and their bikes are getting better and better,..

5) Hoffman I had a friend that had a kimbrough frame He beat that thing like it owed him money on a daily basis for 3-4 years He just gave up trying to break it.. good welding quality tubing..

i wouldn't buy a a Sunday Monday or Tuesday or a subrosa. They add a lot of nice parts but basic crap frames. You can put rims on a toaster its still a toaster...Save your money for quality and build it yourself.. Your bike is an extension of you.. Shouldn't be like others anyway Id take a laird build or a standard ANYDAY..

|