Complete novice

Related:
Create New Tag

7/24/2018 7:59 AM

Hey guys!
I am sorry if this has already been asked around here... I am a complete beginner in BMXing, never sat on one, im a casual city bike rider.

Since I have always felt the love for biking and lately Ive been hyped to get a BMX and start learning some stuff, I wanted to know if there is anything I need to know about it all before starting / even getting a bike?

For start I want to learn in my backyard, looking at youtube videos and just practicing. Also, I am thinking of getting a BMX Rampage bike, is that any good? Ive tried searching for some reviews on it, but no luck.

Thanks!

|

7/24/2018 8:01 AM

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

7/24/2018 8:27 AM

Mongoose Legion L100...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/24/2018 11:54 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Mongoose Legion L100...

I know this is basically another “what’s a good bmx thread” but this one is different. Those guys don’t understand the value of what a good cycle of any kind costs. This guy rides city bikes (also known as road bikes) and therefore knows that good bikes do not come at a cheap price (I’ve actually got a friend that road cycles, and his long distance bike costs $12000...).
First and foremost, if you decide to find your own whip, definitely look at that thread hardbmx_tim linked to, that is literally the Bible of buying/building a bmx.
Now, if you’ve come for just a straight answer; If you have a budget of around $1000, the Sunday soundwave complete is the absolute best complete money can buy, there is no bike on the complete market better than this bike, this is the absolute TOP OF THE LINE. Of course, there are upgrades that can make this bike better, you can add a gyro, a front brake, and some pegs, no matter which you choose, they’ll add a plethora of new tricks you can perform, the gyro and the pegs are honestly a must if you wish to perform tailwhips or grinds (you don’t have to use pegs to grind but it’ll add more possible grinds to your arsenal), you could bypass the gyro slightly by making the brake cable longer, but it will have to be untangled every time or two you do a bar spin. Maybe make the rear brake better (they kinda skimped out on the included brake, a mere odyssey Springfield), an evo 2 would work nicely (get an evo 2.5 if you want a wider tire), and even then, the brake isn’t a necessity because the soundwave frame itself is the strongest frame in bmx.
If it’s around $400-500, eastern shovelhead 2018 is the best in its price range. This bike has features that a $700 bike has, which is why I didn’t include that general price range on here because this bike is that good.
If it’s around $300 (honestly this is the ONLY good bike in this price range) the mongoose legion l100. Right out the box on this my only complaint is the pedals are low quality. I’d spent $13 on some better pedals like odyssey twisted pedals or similar. Do not buy any other bike than this if you are going this low on the price range.
All of these bikes are chromoly, stay away from hi-tensile steel or your wallet will suffer.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

7/24/2018 2:47 PM

Great! Thanks guys for such feedback and advices! I will read up on the so called BMX bible guide and than decide what bike to get. But surely it will be something you guys recommended!

So excited to start with all this! Thanks once more!

|

7/25/2018 12:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/25/2018 12:41 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Mongoose Legion L100...

HavokDJ wrote:

I know this is basically another “what’s a good bmx thread” but this one is different. Those guys don’t understand the value ...more

Surely a city bike is a hybrid, not a road bike? If he rode a road bike he'd just say road bike. And even still, you can get cheap complete road bikes. As a casual rider he might be completely unaware that some bikes cost over 2k.

The important question is: what's your budget?

|

7/25/2018 5:15 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Mongoose Legion L100...

HavokDJ wrote:

I know this is basically another “what’s a good bmx thread” but this one is different. Those guys don’t understand the value ...more

Great write-up Havok! I couldn't agree more!

To the OP, ^^^ THIS ^^^ is a great advice across the board.

To add to this, the only other option (possibly... depending on your "BMX scene" & market) to what is said by Havok is to look at the used market. However, this requires research & knowing what you are looking at & if it's a good deal... which is tougher than it sounds.

|