Completely new here. This bike good?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/27/2017 3:35 PM

So I'm completely new to this forum, and BMX in general. I used to ride dirt on a mountain bike a few years back but want to get a BMX for dirt and park riding. I'm 6'3 and 90kg so know I need a bigger bike. I'm drawn to 24" wheels (dirt around here is poor)
I found this bike: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/colony-eclipse-24-cruiser-bmx-bike-2017/rp-prod154178 and was wondering if anyone has opinions on it, or can suggest a better one (in the £400-500 range)
Really appreciate any input

|

11/27/2017 4:04 PM

Yeah that would be a good bike... I'd go for it... full chromoly double wall rims etc.

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/27/2017 6:10 PM

Short Answer: yes
Long Answer: FUCKING YES YES YES dude fucking finally someone asking the right question instead of trying to insist that 1020 is the same quality as 4130.

|

11/27/2017 7:41 PM

Go for it man

|

11/27/2017 10:08 PM

I really like Colony stuff as well...have been entertaining getting a Colony inception...i feel like they make good stuff

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

11/28/2017 1:08 AM

Thanks everyone. The specs have drawn me to it and I will be buying it

|

11/28/2017 4:40 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

I really like Colony stuff as well...have been entertaining getting a Colony inception...i feel like they make good stuff

I like the prody, and the versatile. They are both actually different looking frames. I really like the versatile, and it's on sale. The bb is a little on the low side, but everything else is perfect.

|

11/28/2017 4:40 AM

As an alternative option, have you looked into a 22" (wheel) bike? They are larger, for sure & might serve you better in a park situation. There are several on the market that would fit the bill. Just wanted to throw it out there, in case you hadn't considered it. If at all possible, ideally, you'd be able to find one at a local bike shop or park to check out & get a feel for it before purchase.

|

11/28/2017 4:50 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

As an alternative option, have you looked into a 22" (wheel) bike? They are larger, for sure & might serve you better in a ...more

I haven't looked in to them much as they seems to be even harder to find than 24". Unfortunately I can't find this bike in stock anywhere as the one place that had it in stock had a mistake on their website, so it's not in stock. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a full Chromoly 22/24"? with 21.75" TT+

|

11/28/2017 5:23 AM

HowDoBunnyHop wrote:

I haven't looked in to them much as they seems to be even harder to find than 24". Unfortunately I can't find this bike in ...more

Here is a full chromoly 22" bike...https://fitbikeco.com/bikes-2018/bf-22/
Full chromoly, sealed bearings, and double wall rims....

|

11/28/2017 5:30 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

As an alternative option, have you looked into a 22" (wheel) bike? They are larger, for sure & might serve you better in a ...more

HowDoBunnyHop wrote:

I haven't looked in to them much as they seems to be even harder to find than 24". Unfortunately I can't find this bike in ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Full chromoly, sealed bearings, and double wall ...more

Nice looking bike, thank you, just outside my budget from what I can see

|

11/28/2017 6:02 AM

HowDoBunnyHop wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Full chromoly, sealed bearings, and double wall ...more

HowDoBunnyHop wrote:

Nice looking bike, thank you, just outside my budget from what I can see

https://www.albes.com/dk-general-lee-22-inch-2018-bike/

https://www.albes.com/dk-vega-22-inch-2018-bike/

https://www.albes.com/stolen-spade-22-inch-2018-bike/

Those are a few but, of course, they are stateside. I'm not sure what they get you for on shipping, etc..; but as priced, they are in your price range. I checked with Source which is more "local" for you. They have a couple:

https://www.sourcebmx.com/en/Fit-BF-22-BMX-Bike-2018/m-34299.aspx

https://www.sourcebmx.com/en/United-KF22-22-BMX-Bike-2017/m-31632.aspx

Not sure if that is in your range tho. I suppose it depends on what sort of deal you could talk them into.

Wish I could be more helpful. At least you have the options & are aware of them. 22's are a relatively new option that has gained traction as of late. 24's have been around for some time & there may be more available in that area but the prices tend to inch (centimeter?) up with full chromoly...

https://www.albes.com/stolen-saint-24-inch-2018-bike/

|

11/28/2017 6:30 AM

Those are some really nice looking bikes. Really appreciate your reply!

|

11/28/2017 6:43 AM

I love Colony's stuff, but general question...for a 24" is the norm really a 1.95 tire?

That seems...really narrow compared to a 20" with clearance for 2.4" I feel like with that size bike that's a really twitchy tire size. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Either way, full Chromoly, sealed bearings and double walled wheels is really what you want. If you can find that in your price range, go for it! You'll break stuff eventually anyway.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

11/28/2017 6:54 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

I love Colony's stuff, but general question...for a 24" is the norm really a 1.95 tire?

That seems...really narrow compared ...more

For what he's planning on using it for, I don't think the tire width will be an issue (he's looking at dirt & park, not street). But I do see your point. I'm thinking that the larger wheels on a 24 might change the dynamics where tire size is concerned, compared to a 20".

|

11/28/2017 7:00 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

For what he's planning on using it for, I don't think the tire width will be an issue (he's looking at dirt & park, not ...more

Ah yeah I missed that part about dirt/park.

That's probably true about wheel and tire size too. I rode a Beastmode the other day for the first time and the wheels and tires are huge (both diameter and width) and that think just felt so...mushy. It felt like riding a fatbike, and I hate those because of the rolling resistance. So yeah I guess as diameter increases width needs to decrease just for practicality's sake. Thanks!

|

11/28/2017 7:16 AM

Honestly surprised at the response I've received here, especially for a newbie. Really thank you all!
I've narrowed it down to these two, and will hopefully buy one later

https://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/82860/United_KF22_22Inch_2017_BMX_Bike
https://wallerbmx.co.uk/shop/complete-bikes/22-bikes/stolen-saint-24-bmx-bike-2018.html

The United is slightly out of my price range, but is a much more expensive bike (RRP.) Is it a better quality bike and worth spending the extra? It's also a 22" instead of 24 and has a 21.5" TT opposed to a 21.75". For a taller rider like me (6'3,) will this make a huge difference?

|

11/28/2017 7:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2017 8:07 AM

Personally, I would be/am partial to the 22". Only because I feel they are more conducive to BMX, overall. The 22" is going to feel more like a 20" as it pertains to ride and handling while still providing most room in the cockpit. Whereas the 24" will be more cumbersome (for a lack of a better term). Also, there are a lot of riders, both pro and amateur, that are your size & ride 20" bikes. Granted, they are usually on a larger TT bike (21"+) so I would say you could (should?) look into 20" bikes as well. So, it is for those reasons I'd lean toward the 22". For the record, I have both 20" and 24" bikes in my "lineup" but have only ridden one 22" before.

All that being said, if price is a big deal for you, ride what you can. If you can only swing the 24, I'm sure you'll still have a great time on that bike. I don't know that the 22" is all that much better than the 24", quality-wise. I feel the 22" is probably more expensive due to limited quantities that are being sold rather than being due to better quality over the 24". Personally, my decision would be based more on trying to replicate the ride experience of a 20" than anything else. & like i said, there are people out there similar in stature that are rocking 20" bikes.

(update... I didn't answer the different TT lengths question.... I wouldn't think it would be that big of a difference. It's 1/4 inch [a little less than 6mm] difference.

|

11/28/2017 8:00 AM

HowDoBunnyHop wrote:

Honestly surprised at the response I've received here, especially for a newbie. Really thank you all!
I've narrowed it down to ...more

I've been on forums since...probably the mid-to-late 90's and I've seen it all. These guys here are the real deal and actually like helping people.

What I love about the BMX community is that people don't pull the ladder up after them like it seems used to be the norm. What I mean by that is, most current BMX riders don't forget what it was like to be new. We didn't all have older brothers with awesome bikes and the ability to get an early start.

Good dudes here on Vital, making this site and forum an awesome resource. I appreciate all the replies and responses I get too.

|

11/28/2017 8:54 AM

I think both the United and Stolen look pretty good. I think Subrosa makes a 24" too, but it might be harder to get where you are. I also would suggest the 22", just for ease of handling etc. To me, a 24" would ride more like a mountain bike than a BMX. Probably because I am relearning some skills I lost from not riding for a while, I would think throwing a 24" around would be hard....or more work than it needs to be...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

11/28/2017 2:46 PM

Okay, I'm going for the 22" United. My only concern is, where do I buy 22" inner tubes / tyres / rims? Can barely find anything

|

11/28/2017 3:22 PM

HowDoBunnyHop wrote:

Okay, I'm going for the 22" United. My only concern is, where do I buy 22" inner tubes / tyres / rims? Can barely find ...more

Revenge industries makes 22 inch rims and wheelsets.... S&M make some good tires like the Speedball tire which are really good... and for tubes, you can just use standard 20" tubes... they'll fit... some people use 18" tubes on there 20" bikes or weight saving reasons, but you can just use 20" tubes...smile

|

11/28/2017 4:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2017 4:34 PM

HowDoBunnyHop wrote:

Okay, I'm going for the 22" United. My only concern is, where do I buy 22" inner tubes / tyres / rims? Can barely find ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Revenge industries makes 22 inch rims and wheelsets.... S&M make some good tires like the Speedball tire which are really ...more

This. Use 20" tubes. Oh... & be sure to post plenty of pics when you get it! When others get new bikes, its sorta like I'm getting something new. Its fun to watch. Congrats on the decision

|

12/1/2017 4:57 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

This. Use 20" tubes. Oh... & be sure to post plenty of pics when you get it! When others get new bikes, its sorta like I'm ...more

Photo

Photo

Well here it is smile Now I need to learn how to ride it
Massive thanks to everyone who helped me in this post and swayed me to the 22"
|

12/1/2017 5:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/1/2017 5:05 AM

HowDoBunnyHop wrote: Photo

Photo

Massive thanks to everyone who helped me in this post and swayed me ...more

AWESOME! That bike is sick! Love the all blacked out look with the white! How's it feel for you (I assume you've, at least, taken it out for a regular ride)?

P.S. I'm glad you went with the 22 as well. If you had gone with a 20", it would have been way too small compared to the horse.

|

12/1/2017 5:25 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

AWESOME! That bike is sick! Love the all blacked out look with the white! How's it feel for you (I assume you've, at least, ...more

Still needs tightening and busy with work at the moment. Will be taken out within the next few days fr sure. Just got excited and had to post some pics

|

12/1/2017 5:38 AM

Photo

Dude! She's clean! Man I wish I lived near you so I could dabble around on it! I hope you enjoy her!

|

12/1/2017 6:18 AM

yea. It does have a great look, with the military style logo and all. Does look weird to my eyes in the 22" size though...not bad, just out of perspective I guess. Hopefully the 22" platform stays around...I know from in the MTB world that some wheel sizes will come and go, leaving you sometimes with an unusable bike. I don't think you will have to worry too much tho, cause I also remember when the Koz Kruiser first came out in the 80's as a 24" BMX, and people just laughed...and 24 is still around

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

12/1/2017 7:17 AM

Photo

Looks sick!

|

Hmmm

12/1/2017 7:55 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

AWESOME! That bike is sick! Love the all blacked out look with the white! How's it feel for you (I assume you've, at least, ...more

Yep, Horse to Bike ratio is actually how I chose my size too!

Bike looks awesome! I love the lettering on the rims. Now go scuff it up!

|