Concerning PSI Gauge and Tire Pressure

Related:
Create New Tag

5/31/2016 10:11 AM

Hello everyone, how's it going. I have a small question which I hope one of you can answer for me. Recently I purchased a Schwinn 5-in-1 floor pump for around $25.00 and attempted to deflate/inflate the tire. The tires are FIT 2.4 T/A rated at 65 PSI. Now I have been wondering if maybe it's just me or if the PSI gauge is not working due to the fact that when I pump the tires they feel pretty damn hard and when I look down at the PSI gauge it reads only 20 PSI. I did get the product replaced with another one just to make sure the first wasn't defective and this one reads the same thing as well. Am I doing something wrong or am I just being paranoid and I can keep pumping?

|

5/31/2016 11:05 AM

Even 20 psi will feel pretty hard if you're using your hand to judge it. 60 odd psi and it will feel solid. If the gauge is a bit moody your best bet is to pump it up a bit, ride your bike around a bit and see how it feels. If it feels too soft, pump it up a bit more

|

5/31/2016 11:39 AM

Riding the bike to see how the tires feel would be better than just using your hands, if the tires feel like marshmallows and you dont like it add more air.

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

5/31/2016 11:57 AM

I never ever used gauges till I started mountain biking. I just put air in until they felt right. I even do that now with all of my bikes. I never had working/trustworthy gauges, especially growing up. I only use a gauge when I first put a tire on. After that it is throw and go!!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

5/31/2016 12:47 PM

get a better pump then. A proper pump will last for years

|

5/31/2016 1:34 PM

A tube will hold a lot more air than you'd think . Only get scared going above 100 PSI now , but before a "hard" tire was around 70 tops and I was like "fuck , I'm gonna blow up my tube"

I didn't realize that was the whole point of a tube lol

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/31/2016 2:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/31/2016 3:26 PM

Vital posted above twice ignore this comment

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/31/2016 2:35 PM

Make sure your getting the valve filler all the way on the valve stem as this can cause problems as well.

|

5/31/2016 5:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/31/2016 5:07 PM

Well pump them up to whatever psi you think then go to a service station with an air pump (with a gage on it) and test to see if its at the same psi, if its not get a refund for the floor pump. I have the same tires and if you just got them then they will feel pretty hard but they will soften, 65psi is the minimum on those tires by the way. Make sure the valve on the pump is all the way on the valve on the tube as well.

|