Confused about some differences in Redline models

Related:
Create New Tag

10/29/2017 2:19 PM

Newb alert! I'm looking to order a bike in the next week or two, I will be racing. Not sure if I want to go with a 20 or 24 (I'm a 5'10" old guy). But my question is about the Redline 20 inch models. Going off the Dan's Comp sizing chart I need a TT length of 20.75" - 21.25".

I really like the MX Expert XL. But it shows the TT is only 20 inches. Would that be right for an XL model? It seems short.

http://redlinebicycles.com/bikes/2017-mx-expert-xl/

The second choice is the MX 20. But the TT on it is only 19 inches.

http://redlinebicycles.com/bikes/2017-mx-expert/

I like the Redline's because they are spec'd very good for the price I can get them on ebay. Less than $300. But it looks like the only 20 model they have that is close to my size is the Proline Pro XL. But it's TT is still only 20.4 and I don't need that much of a bike yet. Am I missing something or should I just go with a 24?

|

10/29/2017 6:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/29/2017 6:29 PM

These are both aluminum race bikes, for track level bmx racing, these are not for street or park or bowls and will not hold up to any sort of freestyle riding... If you are looking to race 20" as you need to male sure your local track supports 24" racing, at 5'10" you do not need a 24 at all, a 20 would be much better suited to you.

|

10/29/2017 6:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/29/2017 6:40 PM

Yeah, the purpose of the bike will be for racing, that's why I want aluminum. What I really want to know is those two bikes, especially the XL, will actually fit me properly. Because going off the sizing chart they look to be too small in the top tube. If the consensus is it will fit then cool.

|

10/29/2017 6:47 PM

I'm pretty sure they will be fine, there's really not much anyone can tell you other than to go to a bike store and feel for yourself... Also you're not going to screw up by buying a 20, believe me when I say the last thing you will be able to blame is your bike. Get a bike and start to ride and develop your skills, by that time you'll understand what your looking for and you can always increase slash decrease your stem, bars, pedals cranks and chain length to suit you on any size frame

|

10/29/2017 6:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/29/2017 6:51 PM

Just start to ride and in all honesty I'd spend more on your safety gear than bike. Youre basically buying a throw away starter bike with these so just use em till they die... Racing bmx will automatically lower your resale market as its a specific setup that alit of street riders find undesirable.

|

10/29/2017 7:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/29/2017 8:23 PM

Expert size is a kids frame/bike. If you saw one in person you would notice it off the bat, mainly for kids between 4.9 to 5.4
Not sure if you went to the track? Asked questions there? If there is a good 24inch turnout, that might be a good starting point.

Honestly, there is not really any cheap tall person 20inch race ready complete bikes.

Now, of course, one can ride/ race anything, A bmx dirt jumping style bike can be fun on the track also.
--------------------------

No clue why Redline went the way they did with the proline pro XL. They completely changed the geometry instead of making a longer toptube Pro bike.

|

10/30/2017 5:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/30/2017 5:46 PM

Yeah those are for kids. At your height you want at least 21" tt for racing. Expert sizes are smaller, I think the pro sizes are bigger.

|