Contest idea...

Related:
Create New Tag

6/28/2014 10:36 AM

Thinking about Dew tour and the ramp set up, idea pops into my head...

What if there was a contest where the riders built the ramps? Every rider participating would plan out and build the ramps to their likings, with the help of other riders, and professional supervisors to help them out and ensure they dont build anything wrong.

I am aware not every rider would be good at building ramps, but those specific riders could atleast help draw up the ramp designs or even just put the ramps in an appropriate place in the park. Im sure they would be experienced enough to build grind boxes and such aswell, or help the other experienced riders build. At the least, they could clean up shop and cast their opinions.

I think this would be a great way for riders to communicate and work together, aswell as have appreciation for the people who build the parks they ride. The course would be set up by and for riders, so there wouldn't be any fuss about the ramps.

Opinions?

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

6/28/2014 10:48 AM

This made me think trails competition.

|

6/28/2014 11:15 AM

biggybuggy wrote:

Riders have to create their own trails?

|

ı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨

6/28/2014 11:20 AM

biggybuggy wrote:

Chrisaustin wrote:

Riders have to create their own trails?

Well no, but this idea is more applicable to trails. In contests, professional builders build and design the jumps.

|

6/28/2014 5:53 PM

That'd be a hard contest to judge because everyone has their own opinion and all.....Like I know of jumps and ramps that my friends can't get enough of but I just can't seem to even flow them, let alone bust big tricks over.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

6/28/2014 11:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/29/2014 9:52 AM

Red bull already did this in the beards backyard it was called backyard build off

|

6/29/2014 10:55 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Red bull already did this in the beards backyard it was called backyard build off

This, and it was AWESOME.

Pretty sure you can find it online, it was also on DVD for a while. They were judged on creativity and fun, and then who rode best if I recall correctly.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/29/2014 11:08 AM

anybody recall the fbm ghetto jam?

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

6/29/2014 11:21 AM

tomdon wrote:

This too, and it was also AWESOME. But they weren't judged on the course, just the riding. And it was always made from garbage wood.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/29/2014 11:24 AM

tomdon wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

This too, and it was also AWESOME. But they weren't judged on the course, just the riding. And it was always made from garbage ...more

But it was rider built. And the haggardness of it was awesome

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

6/29/2014 5:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/29/2014 5:45 PM

I actually really like this idea Tim! I get that there might be some Riders that would have no idea what they were doing with Power Tools etc. I'm guessing it's Nate Wessel building the courses, as He does with most of the comps! Nate certainly knows how to build Ramps! He was a BMXer, a bloody good one at that!! I think it would definitely work better for "Street" comps or as Biggy said Trails, there's a lot more of a builders spirit in Trails Riding tbh! A LOT of Street Riders deffo have their own preferences & with a set up like that I'd be worried that Riders would stick to their obstacle & not really branch out onto the other obstacles! However! If they did go all out & use everything that was there, it could be ridiculous!

|

6/29/2014 6:00 PM

Maybe set up scoring for use of most obstacles, best lines, etc. that may alleviate single obstacle over usage.

|

HardBMX_Tim wrote: I welded a peg to my pedal so I could do pedal grinds. I would rather wear a teletubbies speedo than a shirt with the word "Bitches" on it, or even worse, "Swag".

6/29/2014 6:16 PM

boston wrote:

Maybe set up scoring for use of most obstacles, best lines, etc. that may alleviate single obstacle over usage.

Good Plan!

|