Convince parents to go brakeless

Related:
Create New Tag

3/3/2018 4:14 PM

Anyone have any tips to help me convince my parents to go brakeless... I never use my brakes and they just get in the way, so my dad wants me to get a gyro but they’re ugly and my brakes barely work anyways.

|

3/3/2018 4:17 PM

Show them that they don't work. Loosen all the barrel adjusters or something.
If they are even slightly mechanically inclined then that won't work so just ask them.
How old are you? There will be a point that anyone could just say fuck it and take them off.

|

Hmmm

3/3/2018 5:07 PM

Edman123 wrote:

If they are even slightly mechanically inclined then that won't work so just ask them.
How old are you? There will be a point that anyone could just say fuck it and take them off.

Lol I’m only 15

|

3/3/2018 5:10 PM

Edman123 wrote:

devlonmiles wrote:

Lol I’m only 15

If you have to make a thread asking “how to get your parents to let you take your brakes off” you’re too young to take your brakes off.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

3/3/2018 5:11 PM

When i first started out riding, my dad wouldn’t let me take mine off. I’m so glad he didn’t, I’m an avid brake rider now. My shoes stay in great shape and it’s a lot of fun to do a fufanu every now and then.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

3/3/2018 5:25 PM

Gyros are sick , brakes are sick , stop going turtle speed and learn fufanus and wall taps

|

3/3/2018 5:59 PM

Lmao I'm your same age and my parents literally don't give a f**k that I'm brakeless.... they've never once said that I had to put brakes on... but my Dad is a pretty much pro motocross racer, so he's into action sports like me as well, so he thinks it's cool that I'm into BMX.... but throw some brakes on dude! Brakes are actually really fun!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

3/3/2018 7:15 PM

Fix your brake and stop being a sheep. They don't put rails at the back of quarter pipes for nothing!

|

3/3/2018 7:36 PM

jbales wrote:

Fix your brake and stop being a sheep. They don't put rails at the back of quarter pipes for nothing!

THIS! I always love watching people Fufanu or Abubaca those rails!

|

3/3/2018 8:20 PM

I hated brakes finally was able to convince my dad to take them off. I simply just said give me one chance and if I get hurt again I'll put them back on. I'm pretty sure he forgot I took them off lol

|

3/3/2018 8:40 PM

If they bought the bike, it's their call. Keep them on & maybe get a smaller lever. Gyro isn't what you want unless you're tailwhipping/barspinning consistently, multiple times per line/run. Otherwise keep the straight cable cause it's lighter & has more stopping power for brake tricks and quick stops.

If you bought the bike & are positive you have enough bike control & experience to go brakeless and not get yourself killed, by all means I think you should do as you please with it.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/3/2018 10:24 PM

I love my brakes and being able to stop.

Wheels can end you if you let them.

|

3/4/2018 1:52 AM

I just took mine off without asking and I never got questioned about it. I only took them off because I was becoming pretty stagnet with my progression and I was getting bored with riding so I did it to make riding fun again. its also nice to have no levers and to have a nice clean looking bike (not to say bikes with brakes are not clean), but eventually you will miss being able to stop and having a pair of shoes that'll last more than a couple months. but fast forward a year and a half I have a frame without brake mounts so I can't run brakes even if I wanted to.

|

3/4/2018 2:33 AM

Kids these days. They think brakes are actually for slowing down or stopping. No wonder they don't have them.

|

3/4/2018 8:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/4/2018 8:40 AM

Just ride with brakes. If you have to ask this question, you shouldn't go brakeless. It's original to be different. Who cares what your friends are doing. Brakes are fun.

|

3/4/2018 10:09 AM

Keep them on, you never realize how beneficial brakes are when a moment comes that you find yourself needing them.

Plus, they’re super trickable. Here’s some inspiration:

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @bmxereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

3/4/2018 10:36 AM

Edman123 wrote:

devlonmiles wrote:

Lol I’m only 15

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

If you have to make a thread asking “how to get your parents to let you take your brakes off” you’re too young to take your brakes off.

My bike, not yours...my life, not yours

|

3/4/2018 10:48 AM

devlonmiles wrote:

Lol I’m only 15

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

devlonmiles wrote:

Then why are you asking a forum what to do? Sorry, bro... That's just common sense.

Personally, I'd learn how to properly care for your bike first (I.e. Adjusting brakes...). Then worry about convincing your parents to not ride with them.

|

3/4/2018 10:53 AM

You can get a full gyro setup that works great for like 15 bucks some places. As long as you have gyro tabs and the holes for it you're set!

|

3/4/2018 5:37 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

devlonmiles wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Then why are you asking a forum what to do? Sorry, bro... That's just common sense.

Personally, I'd learn how to properly care for your bike first (I.e. Adjusting brakes...). Then worry about convincing your parents to not ride with them.

Yeah exactly, if you're going to ask for our opinions, and be too fucking stubborn to listen to them and take or consider our advice, then gtfo dude...

And @DanTheBikerMan is correct, if you have to come on a BMX fourm just to ask how to convince your parents to be able to ride brakeless, then you shouldn't be riding brakeless...

Also, you have to look at it from your parents perspective. Your parents aren't making you ride brakes to "embarrass" you, they're doing it because they love you and want you to stay safe, they're probably already worried enough you're riding BMX, they're only doing because they love you and don't want to see you get hurt...

|

3/4/2018 5:51 PM

Takes brakes off , gets hit by car , I’m calling it now

|

3/4/2018 6:36 PM

My mom wouldn’t let me but I kept taking them off , so she just gave up .

I’ve been brakeless and have never been hit by car because of it ! If anything riding brakeless helps you be safe because you know you can’t stop on a dime , while with brakes I was flying mach 10 at everything because I knew I could stop ( eventually ) .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/4/2018 6:48 PM

Kill your parents

|

fack off

3/4/2018 7:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/4/2018 7:13 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

My mom wouldn’t let me but I kept taking them off , so she just gave up .

I’ve been brakeless and have never been hit by car because of it ! If anything riding brakeless helps you be safe because you know you can’t stop on a dime , while with brakes I was flying mach 10 at everything because I knew I could stop ( eventually ) .

I can agree with this. Im super cautious because i know i can't stop easily. Never had a problem stopping though. I like riding brakeless, it feels more pure and its another thing to not maintain. And looks cleaner imo.

|

Ride for yourself and have fun

3/4/2018 7:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/4/2018 7:36 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

Kill your parents

Be careful saying that to an American kid.

Well he lives in a blue state so it's not too bad.

|

3/4/2018 8:23 PM

devlonmiles wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah exactly, if you're going to ask for our opinions, and be too fucking stubborn to listen to them and take or consider our advice, then gtfo dude...

And @DanTheBikerMan is correct, if you have to come on a BMX fourm just to ask how to convince your parents to be able to ride brakeless, then you shouldn't be riding brakeless...

Also, you have to look at it from your parents perspective. Your parents aren't making you ride brakes to "embarrass" you, they're doing it because they love you and want you to stay safe, they're probably already worried enough you're riding BMX, they're only doing because they love you and don't want to see you get hurt...

Honda and Mishinn are both right.

If you come here asking a question, you’re gonna get an answer you don’t agree with.

and yes your parents are looking out for your safety, not trying to humiliate you.

brakes are badass and don’t let anyone else tell you otherwise.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

3/4/2018 8:44 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Honda and Mishinn are both right.

If you come here asking a question, you’re gonna get an answer you don’t agree with.

and yes your parents are looking out for your safety, not trying to humiliate you.

brakes are badass and don’t let anyone else tell you otherwise.

Brakes suck, they are useless and dorky. He should take them off because it looks cooler and his peers will make fun of him if he rides brakes.

Gyros are even worse, they dont work and only lame ass old school riders even bother with them.

|

3/4/2018 8:48 PM

"Lol only losers ride brakes what an idiot"
-literally no one. Keep your parents happy, ride some brakes, learn fufanus, lock them and do a skid, have fun, it's just a bike man

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

3/5/2018 1:31 AM

I'm not sure why you want your parents to ride without brakes. But in my opinion they should keep their brakes on, they will be safe and they will have more options when they come to pulling tricks.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

3/5/2018 1:49 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

I'm not sure why you want your parents to ride without brakes. But in my opinion they should keep their brakes on, they will be safe and they will have more options when they come to pulling tricks.

Hahahahahaha quality bait, you almost convinced me you were being serious :p

|