Could you drill into Sunday cyclone hub

Related:
Create New Tag

10/6/2016 9:49 AM

Was curious if you could drill Into the cyclone hub to make it like the Odyssey clutch. Wanted to get it and paint it and was thinking since I already would have it apart if I could drill into it or if that would mess up the integrity of it.

|

10/6/2016 10:35 AM

lol

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

10/6/2016 10:52 AM

I was thinking of getting the Sunday cause the price difference I found a complete wheel with the Sunday for 160 and the clutch would be that just for the hub.

|

10/6/2016 12:23 PM

no just no no dont even try no lol
1. you would need cnc/classic mill
2. you will loose warranty

|

10/6/2016 2:53 PM

Yes you can, just need to put a little sand in though or you will lose resistance in the clutch part, good luck.

|

10/6/2016 5:04 PM

Yeah I have all that at work. Lol. I think the sand might lose the warranty.

|

10/6/2016 5:05 PM

I didn't know if the wall was thicker on the Odyssey or not. That was all.

|

10/6/2016 5:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/6/2016 7:30 PM

Spenlard wrote:

lol

This is what I was thinking.

The Sunday Coaster from what I understand does NOT have the slack adjustment mechanism that the clutch does. You would drill a hole in it for a hub that is like 20 bucks less than the clutch. *EDIT* I have since verified it does have similar internals, just no external slack

Just spend 20 bucks more. I'd bet you could find a coupon code to make them close to the same price.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/6/2016 5:18 PM

A complete wheel for 160 or a hundred for the hub itself. Vs the Odyssey for at the least 160 with code just for the hub from what I've found online. They have the same internals. Same slack adjustment.

|

10/6/2016 6:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/6/2016 7:07 PM

https://www.danscomp.com/products/429175/Odyssey_Clutch_Freecoaster_Hub.html

https://www.danscomp.com/products/429179/Sunday_Cyclone_Freecoaster_Hub.html

Ummm...30 bucks difference? (I apologize for being wrong on the EXACT amount)

Now if you went with EMPIRE the Cyclone HUB is 109.00.
http://www.empirebmx.com/sunday-cyclone-freecoaster-hub

No idea where you found the complete wheel for 160.

Regardless, drilling a hole would destroy your warranty, and do nothing more than put a hole in your hubshell that would allow dirt etc in there.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/6/2016 7:03 PM

Huge fan of odyssey but for some reason the engagement felt like complete sh*t on it

|

Dax in NYC
MD & Flatland rider

10/6/2016 7:05 PM

Also how often do you anticipate changing your slack? I've had coasters on and off since 2005, and can honestly say I have changed my slack all of 3 times.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/6/2016 8:01 PM

Found a complete on eBay. I was gonna roll a piece of steel or is a thick rubber band to keep it covered. Just the convience of not having to take it apart again and I have the ability to do it.

|

10/7/2016 7:37 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but drilling a hole in your hub would be completely pointless. Kinda like stabbing yourself in the eye...... On the cyclone you CANNOT adjust slack from the outside and drilling a hole will not change this fact.

|

10/7/2016 8:00 AM

RIDEboarder wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong but drilling a hole in your hub would be completely pointless. Kinda like stabbing yourself in the ...more

It has the same internals with a grub screw, so technically drilling a hole in the shell would offer that opportunity.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/7/2016 8:40 AM

i mean why not. if it's already confirmed that it has the grub screw, you have proper tools for it, and youre not worried about losing the warranty plus the fact you can buy a slack cover from odyssey for a couple bucks it doesnt sound like a bad idea.

|

10/7/2016 8:45 AM

I mean sure you could try to but wouldn't the screw be really hard to find once the whole was drilled. And why is this external slack adjustment so wanted. I have had 2 coasters and have never touched the slack on either of them after setting it up from the factory.

|

10/7/2016 10:59 AM

RIDEboarder wrote:

I mean sure you could try to but wouldn't the screw be really hard to find once the whole was drilled. And why is this ...more

I agree, but in the end it isn't our money being spent.

Go for it if you want, buying second hand (assumed because of Ebay) means no warranty anyway. Let us know if it works and don't do a crap job!

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/7/2016 11:15 AM

Dont drill it. It literally takes 2 minutes to pull the hub apart. You will spend more time unlacing the wheel, measuring drilling cleaning up, regreasing, making a cover, removing burs, relacing and truing the wheel then you ever would taking the 2 minutes to pull the hub apart. It was buid to be easily maintained. And the wheel is new sold from prestige cycles bike shop.

I have a cyclong hub and drilling the hole is pointless, why have one more spot for dirt and crap to get into the hub kind of the opposite of what you want for a coaster. But your money, your hub. Ip to you, if done incorrectly i could see the hubshell possibly cracking.

|