Cracked Odyssey Keychain?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/23/2017 1:04 PM

So my new Odyssey Keychain in making an ugly cracking sound when back pedaling... I don't know why but it's in the same spot every time... so I'm thinking maybe it's defected and it cracked... idk here's a video if you guys can help!smile

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/23/2017 1:08 PM

Are the master pins tight and the whole chain lubed? Is it the master pins making the noise? If they're on the sprocket or driver when it happens, it's probably a master pin making the noise. Does it happen at all when pedaling forwards?

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

12/23/2017 1:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/23/2017 1:16 PM

Wouldn't be surprised with how thin they are around the pins..

If it's a new chain and old gears, it could just not be seating correctly & may need to be worn in over time.

Also make sure all the links move freely and aren't seized together. Make sure the master link isn't overly tight, stopping it from moving properly. If it seems to be fine in those regards, check each link individually for cracks/flaws.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/23/2017 1:40 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Are the master pins tight and the whole chain lubed? Is it the master pins making the noise? If they're on the sprocket or ...more

Yep master pins are tight, and the chain is lubed... and when it makes the noise the master pins aren't on the sprocket so it's not the masterpins....

|

12/23/2017 1:40 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

If it's a new chain and old gears, it could just not be ...more

It's a new cgain and new sprocket and driver... so it's not wearing in... and it's a new noise, it just started happening today...

|

12/23/2017 1:42 PM

Everyone i have ever seen with a keychain has broken it in a short time.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

12/23/2017 1:44 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

It's a new cgain and new sprocket and driver... so it's not wearing in... and it's a new noise, it just started happening ...more

Could be everything wearing in. Chains starting to stretch and could be wearing on the new gears.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

12/23/2017 1:51 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

If it's a new chain and old gears, it could just not be ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

It's a new cgain and new sprocket and driver... so it's not wearing in... and it's a new noise, it just started happening ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Could be everything wearing in. Chains starting to stretch and could be wearing on the new gears.

The thing is it just started making the noise today... the last couple days it was perfectly fine...

|

12/23/2017 2:06 PM

When you put the chain together maybe where you cut and attached the chain together/to the master pin it left a stiff link? And it just started now because the chain stretched slightly?
Just an idea.

|

Hmmm

12/23/2017 2:08 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

The thing is it just started making the noise today... the last couple days it was perfectly fine...

Right. Takes time for the chain to start stretching.

I'd say if you can't find a cracked or stiff link, just try to ride it out. Keep it lubed.

|

12/23/2017 2:39 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Right. Takes time for the chain to start stretching.

I'd say if you can't find a cracked or stiff link, just try to ride it ...more

Ok...

|

12/24/2017 11:52 AM

My hollow key chain makes this same noise periodically when back pedaling "off" the bike and using my hand.

It doesn't do it while riding, so I don't even worry about it... I'm pretty sure it's just the chain moving around in the sprocket, because of the lack of constant tension (creating the sound you hear).

Also, if you ever crack, break, or even need to lengthen your key chain... You can always repair/ fix it by just using extra master links.

|

12/24/2017 11:55 AM

Bryan91 wrote:

My hollow key chain makes this same noise periodically when back pedaling "off" the bike and using my hand.

It doesn't do it ...more

It masks the noise when I'm pedalling amd backpedaling while riding the bike....

|

12/24/2017 12:21 PM

Weird, have you already checked for a tight spot in your chain?

Usually, before you tighten down your sprocket you can move it slightly (up, down, forward and aft) and it will help with your chain tension. It's a pain in the ass and can take a long time, but I believe I had to do it when I installed my new key chain and sprocket (in order to get rid of that noise while pedaling).

|

12/24/2017 12:25 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

Usually, before you tighten down your sprocket you can move ...more

That sounds like a good idea to move the sprocket, but I have a spline drive so it doesn't necessarily move on the spindle lol

|

12/24/2017 12:38 PM

Ahh... I see that those cranks are both spline & bolt drive compatible, so you must have the socket drive Fang sprocket.

Can you move your wheel a little forward and loosen up the chain to see if it still makes the noise, or are you slammed?

|

12/24/2017 12:53 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

Ahh... I see that those cranks are both spline & bolt drive compatible, so you must have the socket drive Fang sprocket.

...more

Yeah I can move the wheel forward more... but then the chain is super loose... idk I'm not hating on Odyssey I'm sure Odyssey will send me another one if it continues... considering I've only ridden the chain 4 times...

|

12/24/2017 1:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2017 1:32 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

Usually, before you tighten down your sprocket you can move ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

That sounds like a good idea to move the sprocket, but I have a spline drive so it doesn't necessarily move on the spindle lol ...more

Does your sprocket have excesssive wear marks on one side?

Is your wheel centered in the rear triangle perfectly?

The fang sprocket is a pretty square toothed sprocket it might just be rubbing on the chain.

What rear hub are you running with it?

All my issues with the chain have been chainline related. The chain is burlier and less able to flex side to side so it chunks up the softer aluminum parts. That and some broken master pins but thats from overtightening them I feel.

|

12/24/2017 2:30 PM

I do get really bad tight spots in my chain but that's because I managed to bend a guard sprocket haha

|

Hmmm

12/24/2017 2:35 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

The fang ...more

No the sprocket is still pretty brand new... I only ran a bluebird chain with it for like 2 weeks while waiting for my Profile Mini wheel... so the hib I'm using is the Profile Mini hub now... which is brand new... but the pins aren't over tightened at all... just all nice and snug... and the chain line is pretty spot on... idk maybe it's just a faulty chain that maybe had a flaw in the machining process... I may just pick up a new one from my LBS, or just hit up Odyssey...

|

12/24/2017 2:36 PM

Edman123 wrote:

I do get really bad tight spots in my chain but that's because I managed to bend a guard sprocket haha

Damn! You mustve hit hard as shit! Lol

|

12/24/2017 2:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2017 2:45 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah I can move the wheel forward more... but then the chain is super loose... idk I'm not hating on Odyssey I'm sure Odyssey ...more

Word, I'm sure it would be super loose, but i'd just see if the noise happens to go away (doesn't have to be permanent).

When all else fails hit up Odyssey for sure... I'm sure they would just ask you to ship yours out first, or vice versa (I'd keep your master links as spares).

|

12/24/2017 3:25 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

That sounds like a good idea to move the sprocket, but I have a spline drive so it doesn't necessarily move on the spindle lol ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

The fang ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

No the sprocket is still pretty brand new... I only ran a bluebird chain with it for like 2 weeks while waiting for my Profile ...more

Dude let everything wear in before you freak out. It's really not uncommon for the drive train to make noises like that, especially when everything is brand new. Also consider that the keychain has oversized rollers, which means there's less space inbetween them for the teeth on your sprocket/driver. What youre hearing is likely just your chain rollers popping into place on your driver/sprocket. After awhile they will wear on the teeth a little bit and it will stop. Aslong as there isn't a cracked/overly tight link, just keep it lubed and keep riding on it cautiously.

|

12/24/2017 3:53 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

The fang ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

No the sprocket is still pretty brand new... I only ran a bluebird chain with it for like 2 weeks while waiting for my Profile ...more

Id say if no noticable extra wear is occuring, you might be fine, keep an eye on it though. Its good that you take notice to small changes in your bike! Stay like that, warning signs can be small sometimes but if you ignore them for too long bad things can happen at a bad time.

Like others have said it takes a while for things to mate. It does seem odd that it didnt start off that way though... have you hit it on anything or landed on your sprocket?

|

12/24/2017 4:05 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Id say if no noticable extra wear is occuring, you might be fine, keep an eye on it though. Its good that you take notice to ...more

Well I have been doing grinds now that I have pegs, bit I grind on the left and my drive train is on the right... and I can't recall hitting the sprocket on anything... I haven't really messed up too many grinds yet... just my chain stay has taken a beating lol... but I'll gibe it a little bit I guess... it's just so freakin' annoying lol...

|

12/24/2017 5:04 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Id say if no noticable extra wear is occuring, you might be fine, keep an eye on it though. Its good that you take notice to ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Well I have been doing grinds now that I have pegs, bit I grind on the left and my drive train is on the right... and I can't ...more

If you ride with a full face youll notice it less! wink

|

12/24/2017 7:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2017 7:33 PM

You said it's a new hub too right? What makes you think it's the chain and not the hub? When hubs break in they can pop and skip a little.

|

12/24/2017 8:14 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

You said it's a new hub too right? What makes you think it's the chain and not the hub? When hubs break in they can pop and ...more

Yeah its a new hub... I'll let it do it's thing and see what happens...

|