Cracking noise from my front end

Related:
Create New Tag

5/8/2013 3:48 PM

It happens randomly out of no where but it's ether my headset or from hub bearings and it's driving me crazy my top cap isn't to tight or anything and when I put weight on to my bars it makes the noise again. Do you know what could cause this

|

5/8/2013 3:49 PM

It isn't tight enough.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

5/8/2013 3:50 PM

andyferly wrote:

It isn't tight enough.

This.

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

5/8/2013 3:52 PM

andyferly wrote:

It isn't tight enough.

tomdon wrote:

This.

This

|

i used to like pork till i found out it came from cops...

5/8/2013 3:54 PM

andyferly wrote:

It isn't tight enough.

tomdon wrote:

This.

Purple bike wrote:

This

.sihT

|

5/8/2013 3:55 PM

tomdon wrote:

This.

Purple bike wrote:

This

andyferly wrote:

.sihT

hs.Ti

|

5/8/2013 3:56 PM

tomdon wrote:

This.

Purple bike wrote:

This

andyferly wrote:

.sihT

Tihs.

|

Refs: Scramhype x3, IRideAFly, Tomdon x2, HateBreeder x2, AndrewPeakmanBMX, TrendyDoo

For faster reply text me at 7024964706

5/8/2013 3:57 PM

Purple bike wrote:

This

andyferly wrote:

.sihT

AlexDanielP wrote:

Tihs.

sTi.h

|

5/8/2013 3:58 PM

andyferly wrote:

.sihT

AlexDanielP wrote:

Tihs.

Purple bike wrote:

sTi.h

Shit

|

5/8/2013 4:00 PM

AlexDanielP wrote:

Tihs.

Purple bike wrote:

sTi.h

tomdon wrote:

Shit

Thus

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

5/8/2013 4:00 PM

AlexDanielP wrote:

Tihs.

Purple bike wrote:

sTi.h

tomdon wrote:

Shit

I believe you owe Andy an apology for the copying there

|

5/8/2013 4:01 PM

AlexDanielP wrote:

Tihs.

Purple bike wrote:

sTi.h

tomdon wrote:

Shit

tish

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

5/8/2013 4:05 PM

Purple bike wrote:

sTi.h

tomdon wrote:

Shit

Purple bike wrote:

Nah. Lol he said siht. I said shit

|

5/8/2013 4:14 PM

tomdon wrote:

Shit

Purple bike wrote:

tomdon wrote:

THIS

|

5/8/2013 4:15 PM

NO but whats not tight enough top cap?

|

5/8/2013 4:16 PM

tomdon wrote:

Shit

Purple bike wrote:

tomdon wrote:

My bad lol I might be dyslexic when it comes to "this" and its many cousins lol

|

5/8/2013 4:17 PM

Brownboys wrote:

Yes you should tighten it enough that it doesn't click, but not so much that it doesn't spin freely

|

5/8/2013 4:20 PM

Brownboys wrote:

Purple bike wrote:

Yes you should tighten it enough that it doesn't click, but not so much that it doesn't spin freely

What would happen if i didn't tighten it? it would just continue making the noise or would it fuck up the headset because my topcap is almost striped and im getting a new one and don't wanna strip it

|

5/8/2013 4:23 PM

Brownboys wrote:

Purple bike wrote:

Brownboys wrote:

What would happen if i didn't tighten it? it would just continue making the noise or would it fuck up the headset because my topcap is almost striped and im getting a new one and don't wanna strip it

It will just be annoying, it shouldn't do any damage unless the fork and bars can move front and back with in the headset, if it gets that loose then ou run the risk of creaking the bearings

|

5/8/2013 4:26 PM

Purple bike wrote:

Brownboys wrote:

Purple bike wrote:

It will just be annoying, it shouldn't do any damage unless the fork and bars can move front and back with in the headset, if it gets that loose then ou run the risk of creaking the bearings

Not only, if you leave it like that for a long time you might ovalize the headtube.

|

5/8/2013 4:28 PM

Brownboys wrote:

Purple bike wrote:

andyferly wrote:

Not only, if you leave it like that for a long time you might ovalize the headtube.

This, I did it to my old frame, and any headset you put in an ovalized head tube is going to fuck up and that sucks really bad

|

5/8/2013 5:04 PM

AlexDanielP wrote:

Tihs.

Purple bike wrote:

sTi.h

tomdon wrote:

Shit

I was thinking that the whole time haha beat me to it

|

"if you feel yourself falling backwards, thrust forward like you would if you were indeed fucking your bike, and if youre falling forwards, push your legs while leaning back, like if you were pulling out from fucking your bike But dont, under any circumstances, actually fuck your bike" - EddiMundo

5/8/2013 5:10 PM

It is very common to have the fork steerer "top out" against the compression bolt (so you cant quite get the headset tight. Look through the slot at the back and if you have any doubts shove another spacer on top to check. If that fixes it then you can fiddle about to get it how you want in terms of spacers later.

But if it is a creaking noise it is important to consider that it could also be a crack somewhere, check the forks, bars, stem and frame carefully (fork dropouts and under the downtube are the most likely ones)

|

5/8/2013 5:18 PM

Gsport George wrote:

It is very common to have the fork steerer "top out" against the compression bolt (so you cant quite get the headset tight. Look through the slot at the back and if you have any doubts shove another spacer on top to check. If that fixes it then you can fiddle about to get it how you want in terms of spacers later.

But if it is a creaking noise it is important to consider that it could also be a crack somewhere, check the forks, bars, stem and frame carefully (fork dropouts and under the downtube are the most likely ones)

This.

Also, it's always good to put a lick of grease where the bearings sit in the headtube, and also when you put the stem on.. it should sit about 2-3mm at the least above the steerer tube. You don't want it flush with it and you don't want it just a hair above it either, just a couple mms at the most. I used to have a creaking problem and putting a spacer under my stem to give it a couple mms of room fixed it.

|

5/8/2013 5:44 PM

Gsport George wrote:

Gsport George to the rescue tongue

|

Save a tree

Ride a Bike...... I am an environmentalist jk hahaha

BIKE CHECK: http://www.vitalbmx.com/community/WallmartBMX,103987/setup,83842

WATCH MY NEW EDIT IM SO PROUD OF IT!!

5/8/2013 8:59 PM

I tightened it but it still creaks so ill get a small 2mm spacer and out it in their

|

5/8/2013 9:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/8/2013 9:33 PM

another thing it might be is a ovalized headtube, i had a frame that was ovalized and it creaked ALL the time regardless of the bearings being lubed etc, what i found worked the best (like a week max.. lol ) is painters tape to take up the slop but like i said it only lasts for like a week before its completely crushed.

stick the bearing in there and see if its really tight on the sides but really sloppy on the front and back, it happens from riding with your headset loose.

|

5/8/2013 9:45 PM

hennessy wrote:

another thing it might be is a ovalized headtube, i had a frame that was ovalized and it creaked ALL the time regardless of the bearings being lubed etc, what i found worked the best (like a week max.. lol ) is painters tape to take up the slop but like i said it only lasts for like a week before its completely crushed.

stick the bearing in there and see if its really tight on the sides but really sloppy on the front and back, it happens from riding with your headset loose.

A little bit of JB Weld or epoxy or Bondo that will make a little bit of extra space, just a LITTLE. But if you fuck up in the wrong area of the headset cup, you're screwed.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

5/10/2013 7:46 AM

turn bars like a tea baggon, push down of the grip closes to you, if it creeks its your stem and it needs relighted

|

5/10/2013 12:19 PM

Are there ne spokes loose on ya front wheel? Maybe check just in case.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12