Crank Advice

Related:
Create New Tag

8/29/2014 1:37 PM

Hey guys,

So basically I've sheared off my crank bolt in my spindle rendering my bike useless and I just need some advice on some cranks that I can buy. So my budget is £150 ($250) but I'd prefer to spend around and under £100 ($166).
I've found three cranks I like already, these are the Primo Powerbites, Eclat Onyx and WTP Royal 2012/13, what do you think and if you have anything similar you'd like to recommend.

Now keeping in mind the colour of my bike ("Matte Blood" Matte Burgundy) the colours I can get for the cranks at these prices are:

Primo Powerbites - Black, Raw, Polished
Eclat Onyx - Teal, Orange, Blue
WTP Royal - Bel Air Green (These are more expensive -£80), Turquoise, Grey.

I can get the Primo's for £95.99 ($159)
I can get the Onyx's and Royal's respectively for £67 ($111)

Here are some pictures of the cranks:

Primo's:

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Onyx's:

Teal
[LINK TO IMAGE]

Orange
Photo

Royals:

Bel Air Green
Photo

Turquoise
[LINK TO IMAGE]

One final thing, I know the primos are square spindles, how does that affect the performance vs 48-spline spindles, are they easy to round?

Like I said earlier, if you've got any recommendations please feel free to tell me.
Thanks guys!

-N
|

8/29/2014 1:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/29/2014 1:52 PM

Do you do crank arm grinds? if so, is it on steel rails? If so, know that Aluminum cranks don't slide as well on steel. Outside of that, look into what has best reviews, if you don't find many, know that that typically means there isn't much going on. People review more often when things go wrong. By the way, Powerbites are awesome.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/29/2014 2:01 PM

If you can find Odyssey Thunderbolts, get them. The most durable crank you can buy with an extremely easy installation process and the best warranty in BMX.

But out of those, I would go with Primos first, WeThePeoples next, and finally Eclats.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

8/29/2014 2:04 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Do you do crank arm grinds? if so, is it on steel rails? If so, know that Aluminum cranks don't slide as well on steel. Outside of that, look into what has best reviews, if you don't find many, know that that typically means there isn't much going on. People review more often when things go wrong. By the way, Powerbites are awesome.

Thanks for the reply,

No I don't I haven't started grinding yet (no pegs) so when I do I don't think I will be doing that (I'd like to keep the paint)
Ok, I'll take you advice on board, I was looking at getting the Hollowbites but the insignificant weight difference doesn't justify a £30 ($50) increase. Thanks again for the reply.

-N

|

8/29/2014 2:06 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

If you can find Odyssey Thunderbolts, get them. The most durable crank you can buy with an extremely easy installation process and the best warranty in BMX.

But out of those, I would go with Primos first, WeThePeoples next, and finally Eclats.

Ok I had a look at the thunderbolt, they are a bit pricey but I'll keep them in mind.
So far out of the three I chose that's two to the Primo's

Thanks for the reply.

-N

|

8/29/2014 2:51 PM

Primo powerbites are the sex, will always reccomend them.

|

8/29/2014 3:36 PM

Royals are pretty solid , thunderbolts ain't got shit on primo powerbites for strength though , rode powerbites ten years ago I don't think a grenade would do damage to them to this day

|

8/29/2014 4:15 PM

Mychaylo wrote:

Primo powerbites are the sex, will always reccomend them.

Ok that's 3 to the Powerbites :D thanks for replying!

-N
|

8/29/2014 4:16 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Royals are pretty solid , thunderbolts ain't got shit on primo powerbites for strength though , rode powerbites ten years ago I don't think a grenade would do damage to them to this day

Haha, you've sold them to me, just gone and bought them :D
Thanks for the advice and reply's everyone, have a nice day!

I'll probably do a review when I get them smile

-N
|

8/29/2014 6:11 PM

I've heard power bites are strong as fuck. Dan Lacey swears by em and he fucking slays, so there's that haha

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

9/3/2014 6:29 AM

bmxfromma wrote:

I've heard power bites are strong as fuck. Dan Lacey swears by em and he fucking slays, so there's that haha

So,

I listened to all of you and subsequently went out and bought me the Primo Powerbite cranks! :D

Photo

Thanks for all the advice guys, also I've not got the right size bb, it's a mid 19mm generic bb and I was wondering if brand names matter with bearing cups? I just need some new ones for these baby's.

Thanks again guys!

-N

|

9/3/2014 2:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/3/2014 2:09 PM

You made a good choice you won't be dissapointed , any bb will do as long as it's propped size to the spindle they're all pretty much the same only difference is color and the company's box they come in

|

9/3/2014 2:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/3/2014 2:11 PM

Pretty sure Powerbites have a 22mm spindle, so now you have to get 22mm BB. Basically all the bearings will be the same, it's really just dependent on which spacers you think look best or company you like best. And cups? Your frame has an American bb? You made the right choice tho honestly. These were my second choice while building my rig as well. I decided on Maderas tho because I prefer the look of tubular arms, and wanted Profile cranks without having to pay double for the name. Lol

|

9/3/2014 2:28 PM

-Havok- wrote:

Pretty sure Powerbites have a 22mm spindle, so now you have to get 22mm BB. Basically all the bearings will be the same, it's really just dependent on which spacers you think look best or company you like best. And cups? Your frame has an American bb? You made the right choice tho honestly. These were my second choice while building my rig as well. I decided on Maderas tho because I prefer the look of tubular arms, and wanted Profile cranks without having to pay double for the name. Lol

Yeah they do have a 22mm spindle, I've taken into account what you and eskimojay have said and just got some cheap "Alone" bb. Oh haha my bad I didn't think about that! Yeah I've got a mid bb. Just got to wait on the bb and I'll be able to use these cranks. Yeah, I'm not that bothered if I can get the same product vs name brand, I'll go for the cheaper option. Thanks dude :D

-N

|

9/3/2014 2:31 PM

eskimojay wrote:

You made a good choice you won't be dissapointed , any bb will do as long as it's propped size to the spindle they're all pretty much the same only difference is color and the company's box they come in

Thank you for reassuring me :p

Yeah like I said to -Havok- I've gone for a cheaper bb, it only cost £14 so I'm pretty happy about that.
http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/33694/Alone_Mid_Bottom_Bracket_Kit

Yeah if that's true I've saved myself a bit from getting the odyssey bb.
Thanks for the advice, you've all made this purchase a lot easier for me, I really appreciate it smile

I'll probably post pics on this thread once I've got them on

-N
|

9/3/2014 3:25 PM

Dxfusion wrote:
Yeah they do have a 22mm spindle, I've taken into account what you and eskimojay have said and just got some cheap "Alone" bb. Oh haha my bad I didn't think about that! Yeah I've got a mid bb. Just got to wait on the bb and I'll be able to use these cranks. Yeah, I'm not that bothered if I can get the same product vs name brand, I'll go for the cheaper option. Thanks dude :D

-N

Good to hear bro! It'll probably perform exactly the same as any other brand as well since the bearings themselves are all the same. Just a less known brand name etched into the metal spacer. I honestly really hate saying that to people tho because I feel like I'm undermining the big name companies and their riders that I want to see succeed and make money, but the prices of alot of bmx parts have got way out of hand at this point. Alot of companies make frames and parts for other companies, out of the same material, on the same machines, by the same welders/machinsts, but market them at different prices just because of what logo is on it, which I feel is kinda ridiculous. Spoiled kids convince their parents to pay higher prices for the same shit with a different brand name on it just because it's trendy, then the companies continue upping MSRP and we all suffer. But as much as I don't want to admit it, those kids are the ones that keep the companies in business and our sport alive. I'm just one of those people that believes a frame or something shouldn't be marketed for 10x what it costs to make, etc etc. I'd rather wait a year or two and buy it slightly used on here or CL for 1/2-1/4 the price you know. Lol

|