Crank/Axle bolts

Related:
Create New Tag

9/21/2017 10:48 AM

so as an introduction to bmx i bought a used haro 300.3 for around 80$....and i think it was a good purchase...but i saw that its missing a the bolt that runs into the axle where the sprocket meets the frame... its missing only one..
and my bike is squeaking like crap...i went to local bikeshop in hopes that they have the damn bolt...but its a mtb shop so he sent me in my capital city to a shop that supposedly has haro bike parts....gues what...they dont hold bolts.....so ok...the guy sent me to a shop that has bolts and crap...but they didnt have em...so i just gave up...and here i am....and i need your help to maybe find out what kind of bolts does my bike have...thank you in advance

|

9/21/2017 11:29 AM

Pics? There's a few different bolts on the market

|

9/22/2017 7:19 AM

Photo

the first pic is overall where the bolt currently is

Photo

and here is the pic with the bolt out....now what happens as i dont have both bolts my sprocket gets off of a driver thing that keeps it in place mid ride and its just moves in circles and get the chain more tense..and then more loose...

|

9/22/2017 7:34 AM

Not Ideal, but you could go with a standard hex bolt and washer until you find the actual bolt.

|

9/22/2017 8:05 AM

They're generic crank bolts that any bike shop should be able to get hold of easily. Google "bmx crank bolt" and find a shop that has them in stock and will ship to you.
However, if you're tightening the pinch bolts properly, there shouldn't be any movement. If there is, they've been used loose too often and the splines on the arms will be worn, so having a correct bolt won't help, they'll always wiggle loose.

|

9/22/2017 8:28 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Crank-Bolt-Flat-Allen-Black/dp/B06Y2NKJZR/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1506094012&sr=8-6&keywords=bmx+crank+bolts

Take your bolt to a hardware store & have them verify the thread pitch. Then order something online. While waiting, use the two hex bolts & washers you picked up while there & ride with them until your order shows up! smile

|

9/22/2017 1:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/22/2017 1:56 PM

You could just run it without one unless you ride hard those bolts are just to adjust the amount of play your cranks have (and hold them on of the pinchbolt breaks or loosens)

All youd have to do is tighten the pinch bolt on one arm to the spindle then put the one end bolt on the other side and tighten till you dont feel any side to side movement in the cranks. Tighten the second pinch bolt on the other arm and gtg. You could even take off the one that you do have realistically.

This being said, I dont recommend doing this but if you wanna ride, you can.

Those end bolts are just basically the same thing as a top cap on a set of forks.

|