Crank Feel

Related:
Create New Tag

4/9/2019 1:14 PM

I couple days ago my cranks were creaking so I took them off and greased them. I didn’t really pay attention to the spacers and bearing cover so I tried to just put it all back on. It all fit and the cranks fit back on but now when I pedal there’s an odd feeling like it’s skipping or something. There’s no sound anymore but when I’m engaged and pedaling every time I bring my right foot down it feels like it skips or slips but the chain doesn’t, Ive looked. I’ve made sure all of the bolts are tight and tried to tighten my chain more and loosen it more and it happens with both. Thanks for any advice hope it works

|

4/9/2019 2:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/9/2019 2:02 PM

Landon03 wrote:

I couple days ago my cranks were creaking so I took them off and greased them. I didn’t really pay attention to the spacers and bearing cover so I tried to just put it all back on. It all fit and the cranks fit back on but now when I pedal there’s an odd feeling like it’s skipping or something. There’s no sound anymore but when I’m engaged and pedaling every time I bring my right foot down it feels like it skips or slips but the chain doesn’t, Ive looked. I’ve made sure all of the bolts are tight and tried to tighten my chain more and loosen it more and it happens with both. Thanks for any advice hope it works

From experience. This could be the top hat washer. You've potentially put it on round the wrong way... It slots into the sprocket hole to keep it all tight.
Sorry dont know any other terms to help you more. Google top hat washer to see what I mean maybe. Lol good luck

|

4/9/2019 3:01 PM

Video or pictures?

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/9/2019 4:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/9/2019 4:29 PM

Here are some picture of it, I tried to take a video but you can’t really see it. Also, probably a stupid question but when I put my chain on so that the loose part doesn’t hit the frame, the tight part is super tight and if I do it where the tight part isn’t tight then the loose part hits my frame.Photo
Photo

|

4/9/2019 4:28 PM

|

4/9/2019 5:05 PM

Drive side crank arm looks like it might be working it's way loose, doesn't look right going by pic anyway.

Loosen the pinch bolt and crank the spindle bolt tight then retighten pinch bolt. See how that goes.

|

4/9/2019 7:33 PM

Hat washer is on wrong, as Roy said

|

4/10/2019 1:11 AM

Landon03 wrote:

Here are some picture of it, I tried to take a video but you can’t really see it. Also, probably a stupid question but when I put my chain on so that the loose part doesn’t hit the frame, the tight part is super tight and if I do it where the tight part isn’t tight then the loose part hits my frame.Photo
Photo

You can see the hat washer is potentially the second washer in after the sprocket.
It needs to be the last spacer you put on over the spindle just before the sprocket so the sprocket and hat washer sit together.

Failing that.

Your bottom bracket isn't in the frame quite right so your spindle is ever so slightly off at an angle.

Not necessarily recommended but... I found the tight spot in my chain and then wacked the drive side crank arm backward toward the rear wheel and the off side forward toward the front wheel with a hard rubber mallet. This did actually help realign my spindle

Hope the above makes sense. I had the same issue and i can't remember how many times I took it all apart and put it together again.
Good luck.

|

4/10/2019 2:44 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Hat washer is on wrong, as Roy said

This.

Also, your chain is on backwards.

|

4/10/2019 5:02 AM

Holy shit, So it is. Hahaha.

|

4/10/2019 5:30 AM

cool!

|

4/10/2019 12:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/10/2019 1:05 PM

Sorry for my clear stupidity, but I took everything off and made sure the sprocket wasn’t bent. For all of you with a lot of experience with BB’s and stuff like that could you give me just a number by number order to put all of the spacers below back on? Like Drive side crank, 5,4 frame 3,2,1, other crank. Don’t think that’s the order just an example. Thanks for all of the help so far. Just trying to become a better and more self reliant rider/mechanic.

Photo

|

4/10/2019 1:12 PM

Landon03 wrote:

Sorry for my clear stupidity, but I took everything off and made sure the sprocket wasn’t bent. For all of you with a lot of experience with BB’s and stuff like that could you give me just a number by number order to put all of the spacers below back on? Like Drive side crank, 5,4 frame 3,2,1, other crank. Don’t think that’s the order just an example. Thanks for all of the help so far. Just trying to become a better and more self reliant rider/mechanic.

Photo

Enough on the drive side to give a good chain line and enough on the non-drive side to give you a mm or two of clearance on either side of the spindle.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/10/2019 1:33 PM

Landon03 wrote:

Photo

p1p1092 wrote:

Enough on the drive side to give a good chain line and enough on the non-drive side to give you a mm or two of clearance on either side of the spindle.

There’s ab .5-1mm of paint/metal worn down on my sprocket where it meets the crank, is this something I should be worried about and do you think it could be why I have the weird feeling?Photo

|

4/10/2019 1:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/10/2019 1:48 PM

I wanted to test if that was what it was, so I put the ring back on my crank and put the crank back on (Ik there’s no spacers I just wanted to see if that’s what it was) and I think it might be the sprocket. Here’s a video of it spinning and yes I did hit my phone at the end grin

|

4/10/2019 2:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/10/2019 3:05 PM

Photo

Photo

Photo

1. Sprocket

2. Top Hat Washer (smaller diameter goes into sprocket)

3. Solid Spacer

4. Drive Side Cone Spacer

*Wait until you tighten your crank spindle bolts before you fully tighten your sprocket bolt.
|

4/10/2019 2:44 PM

chain alignment might be fucked.. did you have that many spacers / washers on the drive side before you took it apart?

|

4/10/2019 3:05 PM

pnj wrote:

chain alignment might be fucked.. did you have that many spacers / washers on the drive side before you took it apart?

He has the driver & non-driver cone spacers on correct, so I'm guessing the solid spacers are correct (just the top hat washer was installed incorrectly). I'm completely guessing though...

|

4/10/2019 3:19 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

He has the driver & non-driver cone spacers on correct, so I'm guessing the solid spacers are correct (just the top hat washer was installed incorrectly). I'm completely guessing though...

So do you think if I flip the top hat spacer around it’ll correct the massive wobble from the vid? (

) or do I need a new sprocket?
|

4/10/2019 4:17 PM

Landon03 wrote:

So do you think if I flip the top hat spacer around it’ll correct the massive wobble from the vid? (

) or do I need a new sprocket?

Install everything correctly and see if it still wobbles that bad... In the video you have only the sprocket bolt holding the sprocket on, so it's probably pulling the sprocket to one side.

Again, leave the sprocket bolt loose, install spacers correctly, tighten the spindle bolts, tighten the sprocket bolt and then the pinch bolts.

|

4/10/2019 6:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/10/2019 6:01 PM

Okay, so, I’ve read through everything all of you’ve said and I think I’ve done what you’ve said. I’ll give a step by step thing to what I did. So I had everything off and on the drive side, I put the large spacer, then the hat spacer with the bigger part facing the frame and smaller part facing the crank side. I loosely put the sprocket on the crank and put them both on. I put the smaller part of the hat spacer inside the sprocket. I then tightened the sprocket bolt all the way, then spindle all the way, then pinch all the way. Then on the non driver side I put 2 spacers then the crank and did the spindle bolt then pinch. Everything is tight and I think it’s all in the right orientation. So it still wobbles as bad as in the first vid. I took it all apart again then flipped the sprocket around so the worn down side of the sprocket was on the hat washer. Tightened everything back up again still wobbles noticeable but not quite as bad here’s the vid of it

. I then checked to make sure the driver axle is straight and that the sprocket is still straight. They both are. This leaves the only other thing, is my crank bent? I tried to hop on something and landed on my crank but not hard only hard enough to chip the paint a bit, see the pics. Idk what else it could be if everything else is good. Photo

Photo
Photo
|

4/10/2019 7:03 PM

Try flipping the sprocket around.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

4/10/2019 7:08 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Try flipping the sprocket around.

I did and it wobbled less (the second vid I linked) but it’s still pretty bad

|

4/10/2019 9:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/10/2019 9:24 PM

loosen both pinch bolts, loosen sprocket bolt and loosen both spindle bolts (in that order).

Start tightening both spindle bolts in small increments while alternating from left to right side.

Once tight, tighten the sprocket bolt.

Finally, tighten pinch bolts in small increments while alternating from left to right side.

It's actually normal to have a slight wobble in your cranks due to variances in BB shell machining/ frame building and sprocket machining.

If it's still as bad... Check both the sprocket and spindle on a known flat surface to see if they're warped / bent.

|

4/11/2019 1:24 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

loosen both pinch bolts, loosen sprocket bolt and loosen both spindle bolts (in that order).

Start tightening both spindle bolts in small increments while alternating from left to right side.

Finally, tighten pinch bolts in small increments while alternating from left to right side.

It's actually normal to have a slight wobble in your cranks due to variances in BB shell machining/ frame building and sprocket machining.

If it's still as bad... Check both the sprocket and spindle on a known flat surface to see if they're warped / bent.

Thank you sm. I did this and now it’s all good, no wobble at all I guess when I tightened the sprocket bolt before I tightened the spindle bolt it just held down one side of the sprocket. Again thanks a lot and to the rest of you that tried to help, will pass this advice on if I see someone else needs it.

|

4/11/2019 1:29 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

Landon03 wrote:

Thank you sm. I did this and now it’s all good, no wobble at all I guess when I tightened the sprocket bolt before I tightened the spindle bolt it just held down one side of the sprocket. Again thanks a lot and to the rest of you that tried to help, will pass this advice on if I see someone else needs it.

Glad you got it sorted.

|

6/28/2020 4:12 PM

Landon03 wrote:

the same thig is happening to me at the momment, its proberly because your crank spindle is bent like mine. a new spindle should fix it

|

7/28/2020 1:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/28/2020 1:26 AM

jesse07bmx wrote:

the same thig is happening to me at the momment, its proberly because your crank spindle is bent like mine. a new spindle should fix it

He ...solved it already?

Over a year ago?

|

7/28/2020 2:21 AM

HtownGetDown wrote:

He ...solved it already?

Over a year ago?

jesse07bmx is a clown who exclusively grave digs old posts.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.