Crank arm grinds

Related:
Create New Tag

5/22/2013 10:05 AM

Is there anything I need to know so I don't hop onto my crank arm take all the paint off and crack my sprocket?

|

Whatever you do, make sure you and the people you love are happy.
Whatever you do, make sure you enjoy life.
Whatever you do, make sure you never have any regrets.

5/22/2013 10:14 AM

You will take the paint off your crank arm, its something that CANNOT be stopped if you want to do crank arm grinds. With the whole sprocket deal, you need to lean slightly backwards angling your sprocket upwards away from what you are grinding. When learning you may very well break a chain or two & i would imagine you have a 25t/28t sprocket so it will be pretty hard to catch it (unless you really cock up!) I would suggest getting yourself a guard sprocket such as an Odyssey MDS, Fit Key Guard or Sunday Knox. The best thing to do also unless you have a duel guarded MDS (But that's a bit pricey) is to flip the sprocket so the guard is on the inside & the teeth are facing out like a normal sprocket would be. Then when you grind on the crank arm the guard part of the sprocket is facing where you are grinding so if you do catch the sprocket it will be the guard that takes the brunt of the hit not the chain/teeth. Hope that helps.

|

5/22/2013 10:48 AM

Topsey wrote:

You will take the paint off your crank arm, its something that CANNOT be stopped if you want to do crank arm grinds. With the whole sprocket deal, you need to lean slightly backwards angling your sprocket upwards away from what you are grinding. When learning you may very well break a chain or two & i would imagine you have a 25t/28t sprocket so it will be pretty hard to catch it (unless you really cock up!) I would suggest getting yourself a guard sprocket such as an Odyssey MDS, Fit Key Guard or Sunday Knox. The best thing to do also unless you have a duel guarded MDS (But that's a bit pricey) is to flip the sprocket so the guard is on the inside & the teeth are facing out like a normal sprocket would be. Then when you grind on the crank arm the guard part of the sprocket is facing where you are grinding so if you do catch the sprocket it will be the guard that takes the brunt of the hit not the chain/teeth. Hope that helps.

Ohh right fair enough at the moment all my drivetrain is on the right hand side and my sprocket is already bent btw I run 25-9 but chances are when I buy a new sprocket I'll get a 28t and all the right side crank on my BSD cranks are scratched up all ready from some extremely locked in double pegs haha

So in short of what you said?

1) no matter what you'll scratch up all your crank arm paint
2) Once hopped on with right side crank on the rail (I hop to the left so I air regular) lean back slightly
3) if I'm thinking about crank arms becoming a trick I do often then it's a idea to buy a sprocket with a built in guard and if I want to a descent chain
3) when I do have all my drive train set up to LHD flip the sprocket guard so it's on the inside of the chain (nearest to the frame)

Just wondering but can you crank arm and if you can give me a idea on what to do cos I've never seen anyone do one in person only in edits

|

Whatever you do, make sure you and the people you love are happy.
Whatever you do, make sure you enjoy life.
Whatever you do, make sure you never have any regrets.

5/22/2013 10:54 AM

Ohh by the I'm right foot forward

|

Whatever you do, make sure you and the people you love are happy.
Whatever you do, make sure you enjoy life.
Whatever you do, make sure you never have any regrets.

5/22/2013 11:07 AM

Ok so you are grinding with your drive side crank arm? Then I'm pretty sure you're gunna have some issues. I ride RHD & Grind with my left side crank arm. If you feel more comfortable doing it with the right side crank arm then you are gunna need to switch to LHD or you will be having some issues with your sprocket & chain. My advice is to get an Odyssey MDS sprocket & purchase the inner guard, its gunna cost some £££'s but you will have a sprocket you will never bend, the teeth will never break off & i have found that your chain is pretty damn well protected so unless something goes wrong with the pins of the chain you will break your chain a lot less if at all.

Ride towards whatever you want to grind im going to use a flat rail as an example. You're gunna need to be confident with hoping over & to the side of obstacles. I found when you want to practice. Put your front peg up onto the rail then push the pedal down & then push the pedal over so you are onto the crank arm. lift your front peg off & do your best to balance it out! Once you are confident doing that you will need to do the hop to one side & slightly over the obstacle & then land on top of the rail. As mentioned lean back slightly so your sprocket is up & away from the rail & the slide as far as you can!

Hope that helps smile

|

5/22/2013 11:09 AM

Dude just go ride your fucking bike. Fuck your parts, buy quality shit and not worry, or treasure your bike and don't ride. Obv the bet thin to do is to gena guard sprocket, if you don't buy one then don't bitch about chains.

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

5/22/2013 11:44 AM

future FBM wrote:

Dude just go ride your fucking bike. Fuck your parts, buy quality shit and not worry, or treasure your bike and don't ride. Obv the bet thin to do is to gena guard sprocket, if you don't buy one then don't bitch about chains.

Dude I ain't worried about my parts I trust them and I know no matter what I do at some point they'll brake but I'm worried cos I can't really afford new chains and cranks and everything else as it is I need a new wheel set and tires and grips and right now the £10 pounds a week I get given occasionally I have to spend on train faires to go ride which is around £7 for one single child ticket it's not like I have a nice little Saturday job I get £30 just a tenner I might get given depending on if the family can afford it if that makes sense I ain't one of them silly kids that worrys about scratching his dropout when he grinds or scratching his bars when trying hop bars for the first time

|

Whatever you do, make sure you and the people you love are happy.
Whatever you do, make sure you enjoy life.
Whatever you do, make sure you never have any regrets.

5/22/2013 8:25 PM

oooh dem crank grinds. one of my favorites!! i learned it surprisingly easily missing an icepick on a curved rail and just landed on it and on that last bit just did it. and now i just do em. Idk why but i honestly enjoy grinding the crank arm instead of my pegs. just pull your front wheel over and hop of course and land on the arm/ part of the pedal to lock it in and try to stop your legs from moving too much so you dont hit your sprocket. have fun!!!

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

5/22/2013 9:05 PM

always thought that trick was more for pros since they get free cranks all the time

|

Albes Is Rad!!!
Bike Check
YouTube
Instagram
Blood Life
Signature Trick : Foot Plant Whip
future FBM wrote: Finally once we can share a momen
andyferly wrote: OneEyeIlluminatiGuy has spoken.
These bars are officially stupid.

5/22/2013 10:54 PM

Wtf never lean back on a crank arm grind or you'll eat shit. You grind pretty much on your pedal/crank anyway so you shouldn't hit your sprocket at all.

|

5/23/2013 4:50 AM

I think i need to explain what i meant by lean back. Keep both wheels off the floor, don't put the back wheel down keep yourself leveled out on the crank arm. What i meant by leaning back is just angled a fraction out so your sprocket is angled away from what you're grinding. That's how I've always done it & I've never had any issues!

|

5/23/2013 8:59 AM

Topsey wrote:

I think i need to explain what i meant by lean back. Keep both wheels off the floor, don't put the back wheel down keep yourself leveled out on the crank arm. What i meant by leaning back is just angled a fraction out so your sprocket is angled away from what you're grinding. That's how I've always done it & I've never had any issues!

i think it really depends on the rail haha some you gotta lean a lot different. like a high rail and a low rail you gotta lean completely different to keep the tires away from the ground in the right way.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

5/23/2013 9:15 AM

Thank you Maximus that was what i was getting at! Just failing miserably at conveying my thoughts lol.

|

5/23/2013 10:08 AM

Topsey wrote:

Thank you Maximus that was what i was getting at! Just failing miserably at conveying my thoughts lol.

Yeah i getcha. Welcome! That grind can be a weird one really. I think they are for sure best on like 15 ft round rails haha not height but length of course

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

11/13/2013 12:54 PM

I know this is an old thread but the trick is to tilt your bike backward slightly so it doesn't catch on the rail but lean your body forward to not slip out.

|

Pop a tire I'm sweatin'.

11/13/2013 1:03 PM

luke_dawg wrote:

I know this is an old thread but the trick is to tilt your bike backward slightly so it doesn't catch on the rail but lean your body forward to not slip out.

At least you acknowledge that it's a new thread, you're a good guy

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars

11/13/2013 4:36 PM

luke_dawg wrote:

I know this is an old thread but the trick is to tilt your bike backward slightly so it doesn't catch on the rail but lean your body forward to not slip out.

K_A_N_E_ wrote:

At least you acknowledge that it's a new thread, you're a good guy

Haha thanks homie, i just came across it and figured i'd toss in my two cents.

|

Pop a tire I'm sweatin'.