Crank arm length

Related:
Create New Tag

7/5/2013 11:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2013 11:14 AM

What do you guys like/prefer to ride? Do you switch up lengths for different terrain? I personally have ridden 175mm for the past 12 years and never even really questioned why. I've been reading into why cyclists run different setups and I'm picking up a 170mm and giving them a try since I ride a bunch of street and would like to see if there are any speed benefits.

|

7/5/2013 11:30 AM

Around a month ago i switched from 175 to 165 cranks. At first it felt a little different but now i'd never go back to 175's. Everything just feels more stable and controlled. Spins feel better, your legs are closer to the seat so you can really clamp on to your bike. Im not into barspins but i'd say it would help with stability on those too.

|

7/5/2013 11:35 AM

What's your height, and what do you ride most often? I really grew up riding trails and I think that contributed to me running the 175 and not even trying sizes. Well that and most everyone I rode with was older and running bigger cranks than the younger guys. I 'm pretty stoked on trying something smaller for a change. Good info too Fad3r.

|

7/5/2013 11:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2013 11:48 AM

Im 6ft. I mostly just ride ledges, manual stuff, and smaller gaps because thats what's readily available to me. I'd be down for some dirt though, trails always looked so fun to me. Actually just read an article in Ride on the Richmond VA scene, looks so sick out there.

|

7/5/2013 11:53 AM

I've gotta agree with what Fad3r says. Everyone I've talked to can't say enough good things about running shorter cranks. I'm thinking about switching to 170's next time I get cranks.

|

7/5/2013 12:03 PM

Yeah man we have a shit ton of stuff to ride up here and there is a bunch of really good riders around. I always have a couch spot for anyone wanting to ride some weekend shit. I'm pretty stoked on trying out a smaller set of cranks. i finally broke my profiles last week and they are like 8 years old so no luck on receipts for a warranty. Grabbing the 170's tonight or tomorrow so I'll update my experience with them.

|

7/5/2013 12:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2013 3:40 PM

I ride 180......longer arms for more leverage.......got a 30 to 9 gear ratio........my bike gets going quick.......and with my S&M frame it only had 13.0 inch chainstays and my feet did not hit my pegs and I wear 10.5 shoes

|

7/5/2013 1:01 PM

I ride 28/9 and do a lot of Fakie stuff and I have a cassette so with short Cranks my legs would be dead after a ride. When I finally have enough money for a Coaster though I might try 170s.

|

7/5/2013 1:41 PM

Do you guys do any leg workouts aside from riding? I ride a shit ton of miles on my road bike to keep my legs strong and weight train a few days a week as well. I'm not too worried about working a little harder on the down strokes.

|

7/5/2013 2:54 PM

I've ridden 175mm pretty much forever. I tried out 160mms for my 13" Chain Stay Frame. I did really like the shorter arms. I think i'll probably go 170mm next time. A bit shorter but not Flatland length haha.

|