Crank dilemma

Related:
Create New Tag

3/1/2020 10:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/1/2020 12:21 PM

Ok... So, I am TOTALLY biased... I am building up a new bike (it's a disease... I'm working on it) and I'm looking at chrome cranks (finish, not material). I have Thunderbolts on my Tallboy but have always loved the looks of profiles. Anyone have any suggestions on chrome cranks that would be cheaper than the profiles or Thunderbolts. Or that would have further pros vs. those two?

|

3/1/2020 10:36 AM

just get the profiles. they are the best cranks made in the usa. ball out. you deserve it

|

It’s all bmx

3/1/2020 11:04 AM

Chrome bonedeth penetrators

|

3/1/2020 12:36 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Ok... So, I am TOTALLY biased... I am building up a new bike (it's a disease... I'm working on it) and I'm looking at chrome cranks (finish, not material). I have Thunderbolts on my Tallboy but have always loved the looks of profiles. Anyone have any suggestions on chrome cranks that would be cheaper than the profiles or Thunderbolts. Or that would have further pros vs. those two?

I must ask wth hell you meant by “chrome finish” and “not the material”

|

Come, as you are. As you were. As “they” want you to be....

3/1/2020 1:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/1/2020 1:05 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Le_Imroc wrote:

Chrome plated. I'm, obviously, getting chromoly cranks. Not all manufacturers make chrome plated cranks

|

3/1/2020 1:32 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Le_Imroc wrote:

What the hell hell wink

|

3/1/2020 2:12 PM

I’m on the Trey Jones Killer cranks from Shadow, absolutely love them.

But honestly, like adam said, Profiles are hard to beat.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

3/1/2020 2:33 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Le_Imroc wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

What the hell hell wink

I saw that too.

|

3/1/2020 3:11 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Le_Imroc wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Chrome plated. I'm, obviously, getting chromoly cranks. Not all manufacturers make chrome plated cranks

Then why state it like that? Just an odd injection, being theyre unrelated. Just scratching my head, bro.

|

3/1/2020 3:11 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Le_Imroc wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

What the hell hell wink

Haha, well well

|

3/1/2020 5:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/1/2020 5:35 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

just get the profiles. they are the best cranks made in the usa. ball out. you deserve it

Agree. Sprung for chrome Profile 160’s myself. If you’ve “always loved” just do it.

|

3/1/2020 5:53 PM

Le_Imroc wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Le_Imroc wrote:

Then why state it like that? Just an odd injection, being theyre unrelated. Just scratching my head, bro.

Because the forum is full of retards who would probably state something like "nearly any crank you buy will be chrome" when I'm only taking about the finish. Case in point, your question about the finish, not the material.

|

3/1/2020 6:02 PM

On another (related) note, ti spindle or standard cromo?

|

3/1/2020 6:16 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

On another (related) note, ti spindle or standard cromo?

Ti costs more and has no warranty. Profile is right up front in saying lighter equals weaker. I went chromoly on mine and figure I can lose 1.5 oz off my fat ass instead.

|

3/1/2020 10:51 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Le_Imroc wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Because the forum is full of retards who would probably state something like "nearly any crank you buy will be chrome" when I'm only taking about the finish. Case in point, your question about the finish, not the material.

Damn! Lol, you def’ly understand your audience better than I! Haha, props to the proactive measure wink

|

3/2/2020 4:34 AM

Just to bring closure to this useless post, I ordered some Profiles.

|

3/2/2020 5:02 AM

Sweet, you did get them in the solid chrome right?

But seriously, Column cranks or a different model?

|

3/2/2020 5:12 AM

Beamex wrote:

Lol perfect.

|

3/2/2020 5:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/2/2020 5:19 AM

Beamex wrote:

No, I went with the originals. Mostly because I wanted to compare them to the Thunderbolts as a comparison (figuring there will be lots of comparisons between the Thunderbolts and the Columns) but also because I like the clean, smooth lines of the originals. Also, I don't see myself doing any huge drops in the future and the originals are proven winners. Plus, I couldn't find the Columns in the size I wanted.

P.S. Oddly enough, if I had bought a "bossless" crankset, in chrome, the cost was the same as black. However, I had to pay $10 more for chrome in the originals with the boss.

|

3/2/2020 5:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/2/2020 5:27 AM

Good on ya. I don't know of any other cranks that are still in production as long.

P.S. What is a boss?

|

3/2/2020 5:30 AM

Beamex wrote:

Good on ya. I don't know of any other cranks that are still in production as long.

P.S. What is a boss?

The "boss" is what you fasten your sprocket to. Without it, you need to go with a spline-drive sprocket.

|

3/2/2020 5:36 AM

Ah yeah, I think I'm following. Around here I often hear spindle adapter or even spacer.

|

3/2/2020 6:30 AM

Beamex wrote:

Ah yeah, I think I'm following. Around here I often hear spindle adapter or even spacer.

Photo
|

3/2/2020 6:37 AM

Lol, now I just feel like an idiot whistling

But at least I learnt something.

|

3/2/2020 9:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/2/2020 9:03 AM

This is what people do when it's cold out. LOL.

What frame do you have?

What length crank did you get?

Any particular purpose for this bike or just street or what? Or bowl shredder?

I'm loving the shovelhead. Thanks for giving one up. I guess I made room for another for you. LOL.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

3/2/2020 9:03 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

This is what people do when it's cold out. LOL.

What frame do you have?

What length crank did you get?

Any particular purpose for this bike or just street or what? Or bowl shredder?

I'm loving the shovelhead. Thanks for giving one up. I guess I made room for another for you. LOL.

Sunday Soundwave V3. Street use. Ordered 160 cranks.

|

3/2/2020 9:06 AM

OK, now you're just making me jealous. LOL.

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE. What color? Did you get it yet or still coming?

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

3/2/2020 9:11 AM

Bad Raider 21.3, colony versatile 20.8, and YT dirtlove large.
170mm on the bmx's and 165 on the dj. 😎

|

3/2/2020 9:14 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

OK, now you're just making me jealous. LOL.

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE. What color? Did you get it yet or still coming?

Black. In the mail. It's in Chicago as of this morning at 3:45 this morning. Guessing it'll be here tomorrow.

|

3/2/2020 1:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/2/2020 1:36 PM

Muwwwaaaahaaaahaaaaahaaaaaaa. Back in black I hit the sack..... Chrome and black is gooooooooooood. IMHO. Does that mean you're getting chrome bars too? What color rims??????

|