Crank modifications

Related:
Create New Tag

8/5/2018 8:28 AM

Hey, my current, stock, cranks have a little arm that goes into the sprocket hole and pushes and does the normal thing, but I was wondering if I could cut that arm down to be level with the surface of the sprocket, tap and die it and make it a bolt driven sprocket. Any ideas?

|

8/5/2018 9:02 AM

Guyman22 wrote:

Hey, my current, stock, cranks have a little arm that goes into the sprocket hole and pushes and does the normal thing, but I ...more

Doing this will have no benefit. Is there a problem with how it is? As long as the cranks are compressed together properly, the sprocket can't move anyway. The bolt provides nothing.

|

8/5/2018 9:05 AM

So you’re basically wanting spline driven cranks to become a bolt drive? Honestly though I don’t entirely understand what you mean though. I’d figure you’d just drill a hole, tap it, then get a really long bolt and put it through the sprocket into the hole in the arm.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

8/5/2018 9:15 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

So you’re basically wanting spline driven cranks to become a bolt drive? Honestly though I don’t entirely understand what you ...more

Not spline drive. He means something like this..

Photo

Just a welded piece that sticks out to spin the sprocket. To save money.

|

8/5/2018 9:38 AM

Guyman22 wrote:

Hey, my current, stock, cranks have a little arm that goes into the sprocket hole and pushes and does the normal thing, but I ...more

jbales wrote:

Doing this will have no benefit. Is there a problem with how it is? As long as the cranks are compressed together properly, ...more

That’s what I have been doing, but it is always a bitch to put back together whenever take it apart to give it maintence

|

8/6/2018 11:39 AM

Guyman22 wrote:

That’s what I have been doing, but it is always a bitch to put back together whenever take it apart to give it maintence

I'm confused. How is adding a bolt going to make it easier to put back together?

|

8/6/2018 3:26 PM

jbales wrote:

Doing this will have no benefit. Is there a problem with how it is? As long as the cranks are compressed together properly, ...more

Guyman22 wrote:

GMGuinn wrote:

I'm confused. How is adding a bolt going to make it easier to put back together?

I shouldn’t have to fiddle with it as much a I have to now if I make it bolt drive instead of “clamp” drive

|

8/6/2018 3:30 PM

Dude, I've got 2 different sets of cranks with bottom brackets if you're interested lol, I dont think it's worth the hassle to cut and tap and thread in my opinion...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/6/2018 3:32 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Dude, I've got 2 different sets of cranks with bottom brackets if you're interested lol, I dont think it's worth the hassle to ...more

I have my eye on some fly indents on eBay already, thanks for the offer though bro

|

8/6/2018 3:36 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

So you’re basically wanting spline driven cranks to become a bolt drive? Honestly though I don’t entirely understand what you ...more

jbales wrote:

Not spline drive. He means something like this..

Photo

Just a welded piece that sticks out to spin the sprocket. To save money.

Oh, I’ve seen those. Yeah man just drill a hole and tap it and you’re good to go.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

8/6/2018 3:42 PM

Guyman22 wrote:

I have my eye on some fly indents on eBay already, thanks for the offer though bro

Is that like a crossover episode for cranks?

|

Hmmm

8/6/2018 4:10 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Dude, I've got 2 different sets of cranks with bottom brackets if you're interested lol, I dont think it's worth the hassle to ...more

Guyman22 wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

grin grin grin Fly Indents!
|

8/6/2018 5:26 PM

Guyman22 wrote:

I shouldn’t have to fiddle with it as much a I have to now if I make it bolt drive instead of “clamp” drive

Clamp drive? You're gonna have to explain this to me, too.

|

8/6/2018 5:50 PM

GMGuinn wrote:

Guyman22 wrote:

GMGuinn wrote:

Clamp drive? You're gonna have to explain this to me, too.

It’s just a thing I just made up, the sprocket gets its driving force from being clamped between the spacers and cranks

|

8/6/2018 6:03 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Guyman22 wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

Oh Tits, i meant fit, my bad guys, just a minor goof

|

8/6/2018 6:14 PM

Guyman22 wrote:

It’s just a thing I just made up, the sprocket gets its driving force from being clamped between the spacers and cranks

I could honestly see a sprocket/spindle boss splined interface being a thing but it would require a lot of machining that would solve a problem no one had.

|