Crank spinning caused by hub need help!

Related:
Create New Tag

3/31/2013 11:18 PM

I bought a odyssey antigram hub laced up to a hazard lite and ever since i bought the hub its has been making the cranks spin ive tighten the bb's it still spins, and i have tightened the hub tight and same with the chain!!! I have a piece of rubber between the spacers(whatever it actually called idk) to stop the spinning an it works but its a god damn 180 dollar hub i shouldnt have to do that amd i just annoys me cuz even if its slightly i dont like that the cranks require more pressure to spin since i like the cranks to spin freely sp does anyone have any advice on this i could use to fix my hub? Ive only had it for about 2 or 3 months and i dont ride super hard since i kinda suck right now

|

whip cream pouring like waterfalls!!!!

3/31/2013 11:23 PM

Can you re-prhase it please lol, like are you're cranks spinning backwards or forwards? maybe post a video without the piece of rubber on

|

3/31/2013 11:29 PM

The cranks spin forward for some unknown reason ever since i bought the hub and if the cranks get slightly loose they start to spin again regardless if the rubber is there which is happing right now since im too lazy to tighten it and i just need either tips or advice on what to do to fix the problem when i get my frame sometime this week when i take off my wheel

|

3/31/2013 11:32 PM

so when you push the crank forward there is kind of a gap before it like engages? what cranks do you have?

|

3/31/2013 11:32 PM

I keep my chain tight all the time since that how i like it and ive ridden with it loose and it doesnt make a difference whether its loose or tight. IT STILL FUCKING SPINS!!!! Lol i just find it really annoying and hate that i need to use rubber to make it stay

|

3/31/2013 11:34 PM

I have the odyssey thunderbolts and what do u mean by a gap before it engages? I peddle and its responsive if thats what u mean i just have to use a slight more pressure due to the rubber

|

3/31/2013 11:36 PM

So when you say that it is spinning you mean that it is spinning backwards a bunch?

|

3/31/2013 11:40 PM

It spins the way i pedal which just kills it when i want to rocket manual and just want to hop back on my pedals since the cranks get loose quick thanks to the rubber

My whole set up for the wheel stuff is 9t antigram hub laced to a hazard lite, bluebird chain, 28t burlington sprocket, odyssey thunderbolt cranks 175, and a shadow conspiracy corpus bottom bracket, i think my chain stay is 14 to 15 in long since my frame is shit(which is being replaced for a united mothership frame this week)

I have too much odyssey on my bike -.-

|

3/31/2013 11:46 PM

driver might be too tight, don't crank the piss out of the drive side bolts. I hate hubs like that for this exact reason, the more you tighten the bolts, the more it compresses the hardware and in return make the whole setup tighten up

|

3/31/2013 11:46 PM

Maybe your cranks are just loose

|

3/31/2013 11:51 PM

Well right now they are,they spin but i have to tighten them almost everyday since the rubber somehow makes that happen and when the rubber isnt there and i tighten them as much as i can which is all the way the cranks still spin and i never had this problem with my crappy stock hub

|

3/31/2013 11:54 PM

Have you taken apart the hub yet and checked the driver, maybe the pawls are messed up, you should take a video of the spinning

|

4/1/2013 12:25 AM

I'm so confused lol. Are you using a sprocket bolt to keep your cranks connected to your sprocket?

|

[LINK TO IMAGE][LINK TO IMAGE]
PayPal Verified(;
REFs: 1of1547, Areansfsl, ScramHype, Lirider187, Blizzbikes, tito24 aka mom, ii Krxfted, Broughton, Bmx-junkie, Stoney Hawk

Shadow - Subrosa

4/1/2013 1:51 AM

Yup lol sorry ive never been good at explaining things well to say it in a short way again my cranks move forward due to my hub i put a piece a rubber next to my BB but cuz of the rubber my cranks get loose quicl and just need help figuring what the problem is ill try to uplaod a video later since its late at night right now

|

4/1/2013 1:54 AM

And the cranks move when the cranks are loose or when the hub isnt on tight as shit and i just want to get rid of the rubber and use the hub without it! without the crank spinning problem so i just need help pin pointing the problem

|

4/1/2013 3:42 AM

Tighten both the driver nut and the chain and your cranks will stay tight.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

4/1/2013 5:25 AM

thats what i do but even then that doesn't work i naturally always have my chain tight, i have the bolt on my cranks tight, and i tighten my wheel really tight or else it will spin. the only thong that seems to work is the little piece of rubber next to the bb and that gets my cranks loose one time the crank came off when i was riding and all my parts are new some a couple more months than others but still practically new

|

4/1/2013 5:42 AM

Take your chain off, problem solved.

|

If you're riding your bike to solely become sponsored one day, you're riding for all the wrong reasons.
As cliche as this is, having fun is the point!

4/1/2013 7:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/1/2013 7:12 AM

orlandoBMXrider wrote:

Take your chain off, problem solved.

this is totes your best choice, make sure you dont forget to weld your cranks in place

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

4/1/2013 12:38 PM

edward_the_bird wrote:

thats what i do but even then that doesn't work i naturally always have my chain tight, i have the bolt on my cranks tight, and i tighten my wheel really tight or else it will spin. the only thong that seems to work is the little piece of rubber next to the bb and that gets my cranks loose one time the crank came off when i was riding and all my parts are new some a couple more months than others but still practically new

You don't need to tighten the female bolts that keep the wheel tight in the dropout, you have to tighten the nut the keeps the driver tight.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

4/1/2013 12:55 PM

just keep your feet on the pedals when riding, problem solved! tongue

I have a friend who goes through this. As he's cruising he will stand on his pegs, while doing so his cranks will ghost pedal...drives him mad.

Personally, I couldnt care, when riding it creates no problem. I can see the issues with whips and riding flat but if youre doing tricks to where your feet barely leave the pedals, stop worrying about it.

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

4/1/2013 2:53 PM

Just hit up odyssey, my one hub did that, but it was a stock wheel so I bought a new after market wheel.

|

Noah Farver

717-679-7588 Text me if you need me.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

4/1/2013 3:01 PM

Thanks guys and ill take apart my hub to see if it does have to do with the internals of it if not then ill just be foreced to deal with it until i get a new hub

|

4/1/2013 3:58 PM

The correct term, as mentioned above, is 'ghost pedal'.

The problem is the hub. You may be able to fix it. Is it a brand new hub or did you buy it used?

|

4/1/2013 5:39 PM

when you move forward your cranks may spin. lube your bb. end of story.

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

4/1/2013 7:05 PM

Its a brand new hub and ill try to lube my bb but its also close to brand new since i boight it when i bought the cranks a few months ago but i really dont know much on bike maintnence so i guess ill try it

|

4/1/2013 7:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/1/2013 7:28 PM

lubing the cranks won't help. If anything, it will make it worse.

the problem is, your hub wants to spin the driver, causing the chain to move, causing the cranks to spin.

|

4/1/2013 7:31 PM

pnj wrote:

The problem is the hub. You may be able to fix it. Is it a brand new hub or did you buy it used?

This. I already pinpointed the problem above but he apparently just ignored it.

|

4/2/2013 5:31 AM

pnj wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

This. I already pinpointed the problem above but he apparently just ignored it.

actually i didnt ignore but if that is the problem then thats what im going to do today since i need to adjust my chain i might as well check out the hub but sorry about that

|

4/2/2013 11:49 AM

edward_the_bird wrote:

actually i didnt ignore but if that is the problem then thats what im going to do today since i need to adjust my chain i might as well check out the hub but sorry about that

It very well could be. Every hub I ever had would ghost pedal if the driver was too tight. if the driver AND chain were both too tight, it would ghost pedal and feel like shit to back pedal as well. but yeah just give it a try.

|