Crankflip - Freecoaster

Related:
Create New Tag

11/26/2016 9:37 PM

After quite a while of cassette riding, I decided to get a freecoaster. Currently, I am trying to get used to how different things are.

I used to crankflip - A LOT - on cassette, it's probably one of my favorite tricks, but my cranks are too stiff to do it anymore. Since I have literally no knowledge/experience with freecoasters, I come here to ask :- )

I got the Eclat Cortex coaster. I thought it was going to get loose after a little while, but it did not (Less than a week right now). Should I open it, remove the grease and apply a lighter lube to reduce the drag? I've read about a thrust bearing 'mod', but I cannot find anything specific about that.

Any help? :- (

|

11/26/2016 10:02 PM

Check your BB and see if the spacer exactly fits between the two bearings. If the spacer moves around take out the BB bearings and make that spacer fix exactly and it should help a lot

|

11/27/2016 1:21 AM

Coopers25 wrote:

Check your BB and see if the spacer exactly fits between the two bearings. If the spacer moves around take out the BB bearings ...more

No success. I loosened up my chain a little bit more, seems to have helped but they're still a tad stiff. Crank bolts are as loose as they can get, so I know it's the freecoaster that is acting up.

I'll try tomorrow again, can't test it at 4:20AM. Got any other ideas in the meanwhile?

:- (

|

11/27/2016 6:53 PM

Coasters don't spin aswell, especially ones with bushings like the Cortex. Just grease it real good, keep your chain decently loose, and make sure your internal bottom bracket spacer fits snug inbetween your bottom bracket bearings. Also make sure your chain alignment is as good as possible. They should spin, but it's a little harder than it is on a cassette imo.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/21/2016 9:27 AM

I've had the exact same issue with my cortex and it hasn't been solved yet. Greased the driver no difference.

|

12/21/2016 11:11 AM

You can forget it with that hub. Everyone who has used the Cortex has complained about it with crankflip issues.There is nothing you can do. That hub will not break in, not loosen...etc. Eclat has also moved on to the Cortex V2 which was said to fix this issue by making it truly crankflip worthy. Best bet, sell it, get the V2 or see if the shop ya got it from will return it or make some kind of deal with ya.

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

12/21/2016 11:45 AM

I also have this problem sadly, i did try to grease, use oil in the hub itself tried it dry and then with wd40 for me thats the best option with a lot of oil on my chain and on the driver I can do 1 flip with it but its still really hard and no fucking way for doubles. Its a really bummer doe, would be cool if someone got a better solution for this

|

2/20/2018 4:51 AM

Jeyfrem wrote:

After quite a while of cassette riding, I decided to get a freecoaster. Currently, I am trying to get used to how different ...more

I have the cortex v2 it used to spin well and I crank flipped everywhere but I had bad days and nice days of ink know how it worked but it did . And tester day my cortex was hard to pedal and flip it cannot even do a half of a spin
Can someone help me to ?

|

2/20/2018 5:02 AM

Jeyfrem wrote:

After quite a while of cassette riding, I decided to get a freecoaster. Currently, I am trying to get used to how different ...more

vadim_ilushin663 wrote:

I have the cortex v2 it used to spin well and I crank flipped everywhere but I had bad days and nice days of ink know how it ...more

You would be better off making a new thread.
Also try not to bump old ones

|

Hmmm

2/20/2018 5:37 AM

Jeyfrem wrote:

vadim_ilushin663 wrote:

I have the cortex v2 it used to spin well and I crank flipped everywhere but I had bad days and nice days of ink know how it ...more

Edman123 wrote:

You would be better off making a new thread.
Also try not to bump old ones

This is actually a pretty appropriate thread to bump..

Kudos to this guy for properly using the search bar & not cluttering the forum with unnecessary threads that have already been made 100 times.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

2/20/2018 5:54 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

This is actually a pretty appropriate thread to bump..

Kudos to this guy for properly using the search bar & not ...more

This!

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/20/2018 5:54 AM

This is why I don't ride freecoasterssilly But for the best coaster, Odyssey Clutch V2... it's supposed to crank flip very well....

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

2/20/2018 5:56 AM

Jeyfrem wrote:

vadim_ilushin663 wrote:

Disassemble it, clean it and regrease it.

If you're not sure what you're doing, take as many pictures as you can so you can see how it goes back together.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/20/2018 5:59 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

This is why I don't ride freecoasterssilly But for the best coaster, Odyssey Clutch V2... it's supposed to crank flip very well.... ...more

The Clutch v2 is cool for having 14mm bolts, I wouldn't call it the best though. Never had an issue with mine but know quite a few people who have.

The Cortex v2 has a lot of key features better than the Clutch, despite having a weaker axle.

@vadim, have you tried taking it apart to inspect? Coasters need to be maintained every other month or so, otherwise you run the risk of wearing out the internals, which can cause the issues you're encountering. Also make sure that your driver lock nut is only finger-tight.

|

2/20/2018 6:36 AM

Stop crankflipping. Prollum solved.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/20/2018 10:04 AM

zcoaster crank flips fine...why aren't u supporting profile neway?

|

2/20/2018 10:06 AM

nocoast wrote:

zcoaster crank flips fine...why aren't u supporting profile neway?

Maybe because for the price of one zcoaster you could buy almost 3 freecoasters?

|

Hmmm

2/20/2018 10:11 AM

Jeyfrem wrote:

vadim_ilushin663 wrote:

>necroing an old thread
Why?

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

2/20/2018 6:10 PM

The Horror Contact wrote:

You can forget it with that hub. Everyone who has used the Cortex has complained about it with crankflip issues.There is ...more

Aw man sad Does anyone know if the 2018 WTP Zodiac comes with the V2 Cortex hubs? I just ordered this bike.
http://wethepeoplebmx.de/zodiac

|

2/20/2018 9:48 PM

You can forget it with that hub. Everyone who has used the Cortex has complained about it with crankflip issues.There is ...more

STREETFIGHTER50 wrote:

Aw man sad Does anyone know if the 2018 WTP Zodiac comes with the V2 Cortex hubs? I just ordered this bike.
...more

Nice! Thats a pretty high quality piece you decided on there! And no I dont know, sorry!

|

2/21/2018 4:40 PM

STREETFIGHTER50 wrote:

...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Nice! Thats a pretty high quality piece you decided on there! And no I dont know, sorry!

From what I’ve been reading the Cortex V2 has been out since last year so I’m thinking it should be good... Yeah man I couldn’t pass it up. Helluva deal I got on this bike!

|

2/21/2018 5:26 PM

STREETFIGHTER50 wrote:

...more

No it comes with V1 Cortex hubs...

|

2/21/2018 6:01 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

No it comes with V1 Cortex hubs...

How did u verify that?

|

2/21/2018 6:03 PM

Do half crankflips and land switch footed , those are technical and pretty sick for people who value more than just barspins .

As well my Clutch V2 doesn’t spin well and my buddies V1 Cortex was impossible , just lube your chain , loosen your chain , and loosen your crank bolts if you can , a new BB wouldn’t hurt but if none of those work you’re out of luck .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

2/21/2018 6:25 PM

In the description of the bike you posted said "Eclat Cortex hubs" so becasue they didn't say v2.... they're probably the v1 hubs... I could be wrong though...

|

2/21/2018 7:38 PM

Ah shit u had me worried there! I was thinking u saw like a clear physical difference or something between the two hubs. I see them for sale on SourceBMX and they don’t specify “V2” either, but from the details it looks like the V2 has been since 2017. Also, did the V1’s come with the guards as well?
https://www.sourcebmx.com/Mobile/us/Eclat-Cortex-Freecoaster-Hub-With-Guard/m-m-32479.aspx

From Source:
When the Eclat team asked for a simple, durable freecoaster hub with a larger slack setting than most, they got to work on developing something totally new. The Eclat Cortex Freecoaster takes the tried and tested clutch style internals, and addresses all of the problems that those hubs had infamously been plagued with in the past. For 2017 this hub includes the Viper nylon-fibreglass hubguard.

Lets break it down for you?

“Yes it crankflips!”. The first issue was the internal friction mechanism. A typical Clutch system hub uses x2 small balls on springs to apply friction to the inside of the hub shell, allowing the hub to engage. These small balls often wear out, causing damage to the hub and eventually end up in the hub slipping and cease working. Eclat took this system and modified it to use x3 points of friction which is not only incredibly durable but also more stable than other clutch style freecoasters. After research and testing, they worked out that they could apply stable friction to a much larger section of the clutch, rather than just at x2 points like a regular classic KHE style hub. This makes the hub much more durable and will require next to maintenance.

The biggest issue with clutch style freecoasters was always that they generated “play” over time. When the clutch threads into the driver, it acts like a vice and clamps the large drive side hub bearing, and ultimately will cause large loads on that bearing causing it to weaken and become loose. Eclat solved this issue by using a special “stopper ring” which sits freely behind the bearing, preventing the clutch from passing a certain point and putting load on the bearing and destroying it. This special part really give the Cortex a huge advantage over other hubs, and enables you to give it as much side impact as possible, without the hub generating play.

Eclat's team asked for a hub with a large slack setting, so the Cortex comes out of the box with just under 1/4 crank of slack, however this is fully adjustable and can be made much smaller by adding small spacers behind the clutch, which are included with the hub.

After 2 years of heavy testing, Eclat still have team riders riding the Cortex hub as good as it was the day it was laced up.

Features
UPDATED: 3 point internals / allen key inner axle for easy maintenance / RSD or LSD / Adjustable slack / Includes eclat Viper nylon-fibreglass hubguard

|

2/22/2018 7:38 AM

I have a Clutch V2, Cranks never wanna come around all the way. Great Coaster-No Crankflips, And I've tried everything, Greasing my hub, Lubed my Hub Bearings and my BB and tried loosening my cranks and chain and still not coming around like my Cassette did. . . .missing my Cassette more and more these days. . .

|

2/22/2018 8:45 AM

Phunny93 wrote:

I have a Clutch V2, Cranks never wanna come around all the way. Great Coaster-No Crankflips, And I've tried everything, ...more

I also got the v2 for 2-3 weeks now and first it was really hard to crankflip with it but now its fine still not perfect but i do it everytime i want. Couple things i do everytime with my bike if i want it to crankflip smoothly some of yall gona say its worthless or stupid but it works well for me and maybe it will for you. So first thing i do is put oil in the hub instead of grease you have to do this kinda a lot because obviously its liquid and can flow out from it, my chains are always loose like hitting the frame loose and i put oil in it also it fuck up your pants but is effective, always have spacer beetwen your bbs and last thing as loose is your crank as fast it spins. Also i noticed time helps a lot as wear in your parts are as good they spin new parts makes it difficult. Hope some of these tips helps.

|

2/22/2018 8:52 AM

Phunny93 wrote:

I have a Clutch V2, Cranks never wanna come around all the way. Great Coaster-No Crankflips, And I've tried everything, ...more

coldmajki wrote:

I also got the v2 for 2-3 weeks now and first it was really hard to crankflip with it but now its fine still not perfect but i ...more

I ran the Clutch v2 for like 6 months and was able to double crankflip with it. Just kept my chain lubed, only regreased the hub once.

I also ran a Shadow Supreme chain & metal pins in my pedals. Weight definitely helps em spin.

|

2/22/2018 8:55 AM

Ye i tottaly forgot the only new thing help crankflips is a fresh pedal. Also do not leave you cranks super lose other wise its gone fuck up the axle and the cranks itself

|