Crankflippable BB Spacer Help

Related:
Create New Tag

6/21/2018 8:03 PM

Building up an old frame ( Bike Check up this weekend ! ) and I’m going to put together my BB and cranks together shortly . I want to make it so I can crankflip again , and I’m just looking for additional info .

I’ve got 3 BB tube spacers . To make my cranks SPIN , I’m going need to use the longest one correct ? It didn’t come with the BB set I bought . But from my understanding , the longer the spacer , the less amount of pressure / load is applied to the bearings as the spacer prevents them from crushing / being overloaded . That’s what I’m planning to do anyways .

I have these Salt sheet which is for your frame BB width ( mine is 74mm , the biggest ) and the biggest spacer I can find is the size “B” one provided by Salt , which is 1mm shorter than what they’ve shown on the sheet . I think I’ll be fine , it’s a 1mm difference , and the spacer id use is significantly bigger than the one with the current BB I bought .

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/21/2018 8:39 PM

Those guides aren't very helpful, too many frames use too many different sizes. The inner tube spacer is usually around 50mm, give or take some mms, but what size you use depends on your frame and the space in between the bearing.

Do you have calipers by chance? I used them to measure mine perfectly. What you do is you tap both bearings into the frame without the tube spacer, then measure the width from bearing to bearing (on the outside and from inner bearing race to inner bearing race, it's easier if you have 2 metal caps or something to place against the races to make it easier to measure, then just subtract the widths of them, cause sometimes the BB shell overlaps the ends of the bearings) then after that you just subtract the widths of the bearings, find the longest tube spacer that will fit and add washers accordingly. Better to be just a HAIR longer than a hair short, I think. That's exactly how mine was done and my cranks spin insanely well

|

6/21/2018 9:05 PM

No calipers , I used a peg to get a bearing out and I’ll probably use a cutting board and hammer to get the bearings in tomorrow ...

I’m imagining this should be fine , if anything I’ll install it and grease it up real good . The bearings are going to have to break in anyways .

I totally forgot that I’m a dumbass and I still have the BB spacers in my old frame still , which is the longest spacer and has an additional like 3mm spacer with it . That should work . I’ll have to take it all apart and compare the sizes . Is it possible to have too much space ? I don’t think so .

|

My Cult 2 Short

6/21/2018 9:30 PM

too much space will make the bearing stick out some. a tiiiny bit isn't usually a problem but generally I feel like they feel a little shittier when they're sticking out, even though the outer race seats are just to prevent the bearings from moving in too far. I also feel like a hard enough sideways landing could cause a slight shifting. probably not a big deal though, so unless it's sticking out like more than 1mm then I think it should be fine.

I just have super bad OCD with mine being perfect and flush

|

6/22/2018 10:35 AM

Watch my mini tutorial on how to make your bb spacer fit on youtube! Its an oldie but a goodie!

|

6/22/2018 10:44 AM

Hold your bearings and spacer together, put it up against your BB shell, add spacers accordingly smile

|

6/22/2018 1:34 PM

So I fucked up , I put the longest spacer in plus the extra 3mm one in , ended up taking up all the space in the BB to the point where my bearings won’t sit flush as mentioned by Sunday .
Photo

Didn’t have enough room on the spindle for the driveside BB spacer , but the cranks had plenty clearance . Anyways you can’t have your crank pressed on your bearing , so I went to take it apart and remove the bearing to remove the one spacer ( as I just needed the longest tube one without the bonus tube spacer ) and anyways it’s fubar’d , the tube spacers took all the space up internally so I have no lip to hit on the bearing to take it out . I’ve tried with the bottom end of my socket tool and the sharp end of the file as it BARELY sits on but barely works and that’s ghetto as fuck for even my standards . Anyways I’m not sure what to do , I’ll probaly take it to my old work and go in the shop and see what they say . But ya I kinda goofed this one

Photo

Any ideas ? I fucking hate working on BB’s and thats why I made this thread before I did it , fuck sake

|

My Cult 2 Short

6/22/2018 3:27 PM

Use a long punch, or flat head screw driver and hammer the BB spacer up, or down, so you can get to the BB bearing...?

|

6/22/2018 4:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/22/2018 4:30 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

Use a long punch, or flat head screw driver and hammer the BB spacer up, or down, so you can get to the BB bearing...?

This.

In future, I'd recommend you put one bearing in, then put the spacer in to check if it overlaps the bearing shoulder. If it does, you just change the spacer or file it down. If it's too short, again, you just change it out.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

6/22/2018 6:39 PM

Its good now , I didn’t have a punch but my shop did . Ended up going around with a buddy to do some errands so it worked out

|

My Cult 2 Short

6/22/2018 8:52 PM

The best way is to just keep your chain tight but not too tight and drip a few drops of tri flow on your bearings. I have never had a problem with just doing that. You can get a Vocal BB that’s adjustable but that’s just a bit too far...unless you want tight cranks for say tailwhips so the pedals are always level. And then with a turn of a set screw they are loose enough for crank flip type things.

|