Crankflips on Merritt Final Drive Freecoaster

Related:
Create New Tag

1/23/2018 5:09 PM

I just got a new Merritt Final Drive coaster and I'm pretty good at crankflips and my cranks spun nice when I first got the hub but my second session I realized it was really hard to spin them around. I knew that the coaster had bushings instead of bearing but I didn't think that'd matter. Is there any way I can make them spin faster? I loosened the chain to the point where it touched the chainstay but they still didn't spin that much. I greased the driver and my chain but they still don't spin good. Is there any possible way I can fix this? I see Begin doing them on it and I they're my favorite trick and I don't think I can live without them lmao. Do I just forget about crankflips till I get a new hub?

|

1/23/2018 5:20 PM

If you just rode it your second time, it probably just needs to break in... I could be wrong, never opened a freecoaster in person (I never owned a coaster otherwise I would've) but I think if you give it a week or two it'll spin nice. Brandom Begin rides a Final Drive coaster as well and he does crank flips on it so I'm sure If you give it a week or two you'll be fine....

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/23/2018 7:04 PM

My friend had the same problem with his Final Drive.

I toyed with it and discovered that there are two thin lock nuts on the driver, instead of just one. Because of the bushing, if you have a regular lock nut, the driver will catch on it & tighten itself, causing the roughness that you're likely experiencing.

What you need to do is put the first lock nut on barely finger-tight. Then tighten the second lock nut onto the first one, to keep the driver from tightening it as it spins. You will need a thin set of wrenches or pliers to hold onto the first lock nut while you tighten the second one firmly.

This + some lubricant in the bushing will make it perfectly crankflippable.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/23/2018 7:07 PM

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx