Cranks

Related:
Create New Tag

3/30/2012 4:10 AM

Ok guys here is the problem I had a go on my mates bike WTO volta2011 and I liked it that much I bought 1 new at a super good price so I got it delivered yesterday to me house built up already for me all I had to do was put the peddles on straighten the bars then I was away I wheeled it outside into the street I make sure everything was tight already and set off as soon as I set off there was a cracking/popping nose comming from the cranks I thought this was because it is a new bike maybe it just needs running in so I just rode rounds town for few hours and this is slowly going it is not as bad as when I jumped on straight away but it's still doing it running a half link chain and the chain has a slack spot has this got somet to do with it but everything is straight the cranks ain't bent as everything is new and checked and nothing is bent or looks abnormal sould I say but there is a slack spot in the chain and there's a cracking popping noise comming from down there soon anyone can help me out here please much appreciated oh and I didn't do anything on it other than just ride it around town a while to get used to the ride it's a WTO Volta 2011

|

3/30/2012 4:55 AM

UPDATE the popping cracking noise is deffo comming from the chain side of the back hub only when peddling picked the back end up and cranked the pedals to listen and it makes the nise when peddling but not when coasting (free wheeling) not the cranks it's the back end but you can feel the noise through the pedals aswell is it because it's new or sould I stop riding it as soon as possible and check it out? Never took a rear hub apart before and quiet concerned as its all new

|

3/30/2012 5:22 AM

your hub bearings are probably blown, it happened to me once and i realised the cracking/popping sound is a bearing grinding against the driver.

|

3/30/2012 5:46 AM

Hmmm brand new bike with blown bearings on the back hub? That don't sound right remeber its brand new how can I tell if the bearings a blown an I will take the back hub appart tomorrow if anyone hjas a link on how to do it ? Never done it before

|

3/30/2012 6:31 AM

lilchrissyy wrote:

Hmmm brand new bike with blown bearings on the back hub? That don't sound right remeber its brand new how can I tell if the bearings a blown an I will take the back hub appart tomorrow if anyone hjas a link on how to do it ? Never done it before

ohh brand new, are you sure there isn't any bends in the sprocket or if the chain is on too tight?. its not hard at all to take it apart just take off all of the nuts on the opposite side of the driver and the axle and driver should come out in one piece.

|

3/30/2012 8:06 AM

ive got a volta 2011 when i first got it the bike did that put heavy grease on the chain and wipe the excess off and loosen the locknut on the hub a bit it fixed for me then just break it in

|

3/30/2012 9:15 AM

when I got a complete the driver was tightened on wayyyy too tight so id just loosen the bolt that goes onto the driver up and tighten it hand tight and see what that does for you

|

3/30/2012 2:20 PM

stock bike have very little grease because it saves the company who build them allot of money, i took apart and regreased all of my bike try that. or tighten your cranks and move your wheel back so your chain is tight. we the people's salt hubs are shit my friend has broken 3 of them

|

parkrat.

3/31/2012 12:45 AM

Rstar wrote:

stock bike have very little grease because it saves the company who build them allot of money, i took apart and regreased all of my bike try that. or tighten your cranks and move your wheel back so your chain is tight. we the people's salt hubs are shit my friend has broken 3 of them

the saltplus hubs are good i had an unsealed salt one and broke it in one day but i got a completely sealed wheel from warranty cos they had no more of that one :D

|

3/31/2012 1:48 AM

bmxofd00m wrote:

the saltplus hubs are good i had an unsealed salt one and broke it in one day but i got a completely sealed wheel from warranty cos they had no more of that one :D

ow is it a salt plus, it should be ok then

|

parkrat.

3/31/2012 2:26 AM

Ok I've had the back hu appart was working on it too half 2 am tis morning everything looks fine the is no signs of stress inside the cassette driver or any abnormal wear everything looks legit so I put it back together I wiped the ld grease out of it and re greased it and did the lock nut on the drive side finger tight ands put the wheel back on tightened the chain and went down the street and back and it's still doing it same noise

|

3/31/2012 4:35 AM

its the bottom bracket mine did it get a crank puller and grease the bb nothing to do with the hub

|

3/31/2012 4:37 AM

Ahh but I pick the bike up off the ground and got someone to turn the cranks to listen to we're the sounds comming from and it is comming from the rear Hub put my ear to the cranks and there's no sound from there it's comming from the drive side of the rear hub

|

3/31/2012 5:01 AM

lilchrissyy wrote:

Ahh but I pick the bike up off the ground and got someone to turn the cranks to listen to we're the sounds comming from and it is comming from the rear Hub put my ear to the cranks and there's no sound from there it's comming from the drive side of the rear hub

chain?

|

parkrat.

3/31/2012 5:07 AM

the driver could be missing a pawl maybe?

|

3/31/2012 3:23 PM

the bb will need greased because tbh the saltplus bb is not the best i took my chain off when i first got it and spun the cranks and you could hear the bb and feel it vibrate so i greased it and its been fine try that at least and see what happens

|

3/31/2012 5:43 PM

my bike did that when it was brand new, the chain was out of alignment. look from your back wheel and look at the chains path

|

I put my spoke in her while I twisted her nipple.

3/31/2012 10:28 PM

When i go my complete and pit ut together it did the same thing and my problem was that the sproket was a bit bigger then the spindle do it would tighten and loosen the chain it was like the sproket was ovalized but if you got a 48 spline spindle get a sd sproket im sure thats your problem good luck

|

4/1/2012 1:59 AM

bmxer161 wrote:

When i go my complete and pit ut together it did the same thing and my problem was that the sproket was a bit bigger then the spindle do it would tighten and loosen the chain it was like the sproket was ovalized but if you got a 48 spline spindle get a sd sproket im sure thats your problem good luck

the volta's is a 48 spline

|

4/1/2012 9:35 AM

bmxofd00m wrote:

the volta's is a 48 spline

I'd get a spline drive sprocket and a kmc 710/ 710sl chain because they run really quiet and it sounds like its just chain noise your hearing

|