Cranks

Related:
Create New Tag

6/7/2017 5:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/7/2017 5:38 AM

Wassup everybody! I have no idea where to ask this, because I didn't find "Cranks" topic. But I'm buying new 48 spline cranks and I can't decide which ones to get:

Stolen Talon V2 cranks

https://www.danscomp.com/products/452683/Stolen_Talon_V2_Cranks.html

or

Salt Plus Pro 48 cranks

http://saltbmx.com/saltplus/products/crank-sets-bb-sets/159-saltplus-pro-48-crank

Those Salt cranks are heat treated and Stolens aren't. But Stolens look better to me. Salts are little bit lighter too. Can't decide.

I'm 5'10 so 170mm or 165mm? I have always rode 175mm cranks but I want to try shorter ones. Can't really find 165mm ones from Europe (where I live) tho, but 170mm ones are easily available. Thanks.

PS. English ain't my native language, but hopefully you understand what I'm talking about :D

|

6/7/2017 5:42 AM

they're both good cranks. If you can, get profile though. 170mm is a good length

|

It’s all bmx

6/7/2017 6:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/7/2017 6:03 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

they're both good cranks. If you can, get profile though. 170mm is a good length

Can't really get profile where I live. These two are my options. I know they are both good, but I can't decide which ones to get. Is heat treatment big deal? My riding isn't that aggressive

|

6/7/2017 9:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/7/2017 11:36 AM

I see you are in Finland, I don't know any of your local shop but Source BMX is an english shop where you can find everything you need, I already ordered from them they're cool, (I'm from France, they ship everywhere in Europe).

About cranks, your height doesn't matter, you can be tall and run short cranks and vice versa.
I switched from the classic 175 to a 170 mm crank a year ago and it feels cool.
Feet closer together, makes manuals easier (easier to put pressure on the BB ), spins easier, I noticed this the most while doing fullcabs and oppo spins, and when pedaling long disatnces it feels cooler for the knees.

I don't know if a 165 would be even cooler or too short for me.
Without being a drastic change, it still changes the feeling of the bike, so 170 is probably the way to go to be sure you'll like it.

|

6/7/2017 11:01 AM

Francky wrote:

I see you are in Finland, I don't know any of your local shop but Source BMX is an english shop where you can find everything ...more

Thanks for the comment, I appreciate it. Yeah I live in Finland. There are only one bmx shop. How things are going in France? France is one of my favorite countries in the world. Is it summer yet there? In Finland summer was like one month late :D

I've been riding bmx for 9 years, so I know a lot of shops in Europe. Well, started riding in 2008 and sold my bike in 2013 and took a break. I started again in 2016 spring, glad to be back on bike.

My point was: I want cranks that are:

1. 48 spline
2. color chrome
3. 165-170mm length
4. 100 bucks tops (not gonna put more than that on cranks)

So my only options are Stolen Talon V2's and Salt Plus Pro 48's. So I would like to heard opinions which of those two cranks seems to be better. No need to say "You should buy Primos or Odysseys" smile Of course if you have some other cranks in mind that meets my criteria, you are welcome smile

|

6/7/2017 11:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/7/2017 11:58 AM

I found nothing that matches all you want on source.

I watched what was avaiable on french shops, I didn't find anything that fully match either.
The best I found is a Foundation Syndicate crank on unleadedbmx, it's 99 bucks, 165mm and... black.
But I'm 100% sure this is a quality crank, I ran on of these in 175 for 4 years before switching to a shadow killer 170 last year and this crank is still going strong on a friend's bike.
If you choose this option, I checked the cost for delivery to Finland, it would cost you 15 bucks.

Between the stolen and the salt, both seems equivalent, plus you say you are not a hard rider doing 10 stairs gaps all day so just pick the one you like the most design wise.

|

6/7/2017 12:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/7/2017 12:53 PM

Decided to go with 165mm because I have 4 pegs and big feet so my feet doesn't hit the pegs. I noticed I need bigger budget than 100 bucks. I think I'm gonna get chrome Snafu Mayweather 165mm cranks. They are lighter than salts and stolens and I can get them 135 bucks for sale with free shipping. Also Scotty Cranmer is using these cranks so they can definetely stand hard use too

|