Cranks: 175mm to 165mm Move. Advice Appreciated! :D

Related:
Create New Tag

8/18/2015 8:21 PM

Hey & thanks for stopping by my post! :D

I just bent my Mission Transit cranks (which I've had for about 3 years now) and they are 175mm in length. I was wondering how running a shorter 165mm length would affect riding. My theory is that you will have your center of gravity slightly more to the rear of the bike and the bike will feel shorter and twitchier, but that is just how I think.

Have any of you done this? How does it feel to swap to shorter cranks?

Any help is extremely appreciated! Thanks & have a great day! - readybmxer

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

8/18/2015 8:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/1/2015 5:26 PM

For the longest time I've wanted to get shorter cranks, and recently I had a chance to try out a bike with similar geo to my own but with shorter cranks. It was terrible and wouldn't wish it on my own worst enemy, it felt like a scooter that was both harder to pull up, harder to balance and harder to pedal comfortably. I urge you to try some out on another bike before you buy, try buying used, or at least consider 170 instead.

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/18/2015 8:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2015 9:07 PM

depends on your height really...

long legs (5ft/8 175mm+ will be good

short legs 5ft/5 or shorter 170s or 165s

I had terrible knee problems my legs would be killing me, in all the wrong areas after i was done riding when i had 175s, i talked to alot of diffrent people, and rode some bikes with 180mm cranks it wasn't till i rode a 170mm that i thought it got better. then I got some free cheapo 170mm cranks from mario off vital, and i rode those for a few months and my leg pains where allot less, I finally got chad to let me ride a bike that had 165s and it felt so much better. (Im 5ft 4.5") with decently short legs)) i liked it so much I got Profile GDH cranks in rhd 165mm. my balance feels better, my hops seem a bit higher, it's easier for me to get my leg across the top tube for foot jams, and I'm happy to say I have no more abnormal leg pains after riding for 5hrs+ I also should mention- I get to ride allot of cheapo bikes at work most mountain bikes feel okay because they have 170 or 165mm as stock. bmx bikes on the other hand tend to come stock with 175s, I'm immediately reminded every time i ride one just how HUGE a difference 10mm can make to how your bike feels, comfort is the most important thing you should have on your bike, if you're straining yourself to handle and control your bike, SOMETHING is the wrong size for your body. in High end road cycling- bikes are built custom to fit the rider and that's because they need to be able to perform at their maximum, they cannot do that if their bike is not fit and made properly to their bodies. the same general idea is true with bmx bikes. if their not within your comfort area for your body, you're going to have big problems. most riders tend to talk about bar size and perfect 25" bars and crap, well most bmxers are tall skinny mofos, and they do because if you scale it, to their body 175mm or 180mm are going to feel normal to their legs, but your factory 8" bar with a front load will feel small as hell., but to a shorter person that 8" front load will feel okayish. where those 175mm and 180mm cranks may feel too big. my advice is try 165s if you hate them you can always sell them on here, and get new ones in 170s or trade them. your bike should be comfortable to you. and you shouldn't let anybody tell you blah blah blah sucks get blah blah blah. if you think moving to 165mm cranks is the right move, DO it chances are it will be the right thing if you think it will be.

if you look at a chart for crank size v rider height, it'll say really the same thing.
(allot of people think this is racing only because of the 44t picture to the right, no this is an old picture danscomp made back when people used 44ts for street riding and stuff
Photo

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

8/18/2015 8:43 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

For the longest time I've wanted to get shorter cranks, and recently I had a chance to try out a bike with similar geo to my own but with shorter cranks. It was terrible and wouldn't wish it on my own worst enemy, it felt like a scooter that was both harder to pull up, harder to balance and harder to pedal comfortably. I urge you to try some out on another bike before you buy, try buying used, or at least consider 170 instead.

^this

But on a sidenote. My bunnyhops were bigger, slightly wonky, uncomfortable, and all around terrible looking.

|

8/18/2015 9:04 PM

bump

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

8/18/2015 9:09 PM

Unless you're short or run four pegs and a tiny backend and your feet hit your pegs, I'd say no. It's so uncomfortable to me. Felt like a Wal-Mart bike to be honest.

|

8/18/2015 9:12 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

Unless you're short or run four pegs and a tiny backend and your feet hit your pegs, I'd say no. It's so uncomfortable to me. Felt like a Wal-Mart bike to be honest.

most walmart bikes like hypers and mongooses(the low end ones at least) tend to have shorter chainstays because their ment more for little kids, why they still put 175mm on them is beyond me, probably because thats just their normal thing. but yeah. it really goes off height, and rider preference.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

8/18/2015 10:03 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

For the longest time I've wanted to get shorter cranks, and recently I had a chance to try out a bike with similar geo to my own but with shorter cranks. It was terrible and wouldn't wish it on my own worst enemy, it felt like a scooter that was both harder to pull up, harder to balance and harder to pedal comfortably. I urge you to try some out on another bike before you buy, try buying used, or at least consider 170 instead.

Yo okay thanks a lot man!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

8/18/2015 10:07 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

Unless you're short or run four pegs and a tiny backend and your feet hit your pegs, I'd say no. It's so uncomfortable to me. Felt like a Wal-Mart bike to be honest.

dkTechEthan wrote:

most walmart bikes like hypers and mongooses(the low end ones at least) tend to have shorter chainstays because their ment more for little kids, why they still put 175mm on them is beyond me, probably because thats just their normal thing. but yeah. it really goes off height, and rider preference.

Yo thanks for that great explanation! Helped a bunch man!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

8/18/2015 10:11 PM

Yes it will make a difference. Even 175 to 180 is noticeable, I think so anyways.

|

8/18/2015 10:26 PM

Not quoting the essay, but that chart is height discriminitory. I have a 40" inseam and it doesn't list anything that size.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

8/18/2015 10:46 PM

You will ride it for 20 minutes and then not really notice the change after that.

If you ride 4 pegs and a short backend, 165s just give you a bit more room. It's not going to make a major difference to your riding, but it's nice for clearance and still feels good to pedal.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

8/18/2015 10:59 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

Not quoting the essay, but that chart is height discriminitory. I have a 40" inseam and it doesn't list anything that size.

collin I don't think they make anything bigger then a 190mm crank...
0
hell i don't think i've ever seen a 190mm crank...

haha I had to look Profile DOES make a 190mm crank arm ;o
http://www.profileracing.com/estore/product.php?productId=319

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

8/18/2015 11:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2015 11:16 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

Not quoting the essay, but that chart is height discriminitory. I have a 40" inseam and it doesn't list anything that size.

If they made cranks for you, it would be a few meters long like a telephone post... you fucking giant of a man <3

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
.
.
.
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

8/18/2015 11:38 PM

All that matters is your foot hitting your peg , I'm sure it's something almost unnoticeable to most

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/19/2015 2:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/19/2015 2:07 AM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

Not quoting the essay, but that chart is height discriminitory. I have a 40" inseam and it doesn't list anything that size.

dkTechEthan wrote:

collin I don't think they make anything bigger then a 190mm crank...
0
hell i don't think i've ever seen a 190mm crank...

haha I had to look Profile DOES make a 190mm crank arm ;o
http://www.profileracing.com/estore/product.php?productId=319

Probably for 22"/24". I can't even imagine riding a 190 on a bmx. They'd drag on the ground if you barely leaned with them straight up/down, well, the pedals would anyways. Plus you'd have to at least run a 14.5" cs with pegs. Doesn't sound fun tbh

|

8/19/2015 7:54 AM

I'm 5'9" and rode 165mm cranks on a 20.6 with a 13.75 for a while. Wasn't bad. 3s were easier, manuals were easier. I personally can't ride anything over 170mm. I've rode 165, 170, 175, 180 and 182. 175 was meh, 180 and 182 felt terrible to me. It's all personal preference and the difference between 165 and 170 isn't huge in terms of feeling and in my opinion 165 works better if you ride a small bike, they didn't feel too good on 20.75 and 13.75 but felt a lot better on 20" tt and 13.75 either way it was better than 175 in my opinion.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

8/19/2015 8:22 AM

transition_chris wrote:

You will ride it for 20 minutes and then not really notice the change after that.

If you ride 4 pegs and a short backend, 165s just give you a bit more room. It's not going to make a major difference to your riding, but it's nice for clearance and still feels good to pedal.

this exactly

i switched to 165's from 175's and i didn't notice much after a session. i am 6'5" as well.

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

8/19/2015 8:24 AM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

Not quoting the essay, but that chart is height discriminitory. I have a 40" inseam and it doesn't list anything that size.

40" inseam? i'm 6'5" and my longest pants have a 36" inseam and are longer than they need to be. did you mean your waist? or are your legs a mile long? lol

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

8/19/2015 3:05 PM

I had always ride 175 and it feels good, but the other day I was riding a friends bike, and notice something different with his crank, I had watch it and it's a 170.
But I cannot really say the pros or cons because his bike feels way different than mine (I hate his bike) but I would be curious to try a 170 on my ride to see what it really change, I heard spins were easier because of the legs closer, for manuals.. I don't know if there'll be easier or harder, i would say easier because of more easy pressure on bottom bracket but the only way to know it is to try it.
Also shorter cranks are not only for little people, it´s more about personnal preference, like David Grant, this guy is a giant and rides a 165 so...

|

8/19/2015 6:46 PM

Francky wrote:

I had always ride 175 and it feels good, but the other day I was riding a friends bike, and notice something different with his crank, I had watch it and it's a 170.
But I cannot really say the pros or cons because his bike feels way different than mine (I hate his bike) but I would be curious to try a 170 on my ride to see what it really change, I heard spins were easier because of the legs closer, for manuals.. I don't know if there'll be easier or harder, i would say easier because of more easy pressure on bottom bracket but the only way to know it is to try it.
Also shorter cranks are not only for little people, it´s more about personnal preference, like David Grant, this guy is a giant and rides a 165 so...

i cant remember who it was but one pro rides 175mm on the left and 170 on the right.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

8/19/2015 7:44 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

Not quoting the essay, but that chart is height discriminitory. I have a 40" inseam and it doesn't list anything that size.

I've ridden a roadie with 210 mil cranks.

|

8/19/2015 8:41 PM

Francky wrote:

I had always ride 175 and it feels good, but the other day I was riding a friends bike, and notice something different with his crank, I had watch it and it's a 170.
But I cannot really say the pros or cons because his bike feels way different than mine (I hate his bike) but I would be curious to try a 170 on my ride to see what it really change, I heard spins were easier because of the legs closer, for manuals.. I don't know if there'll be easier or harder, i would say easier because of more easy pressure on bottom bracket but the only way to know it is to try it.
Also shorter cranks are not only for little people, it´s more about personnal preference, like David Grant, this guy is a giant and rides a 165 so...

dkTechEthan wrote:

i cant remember who it was but one pro rides 175mm on the left and 170 on the right.

Yea, that's Brett Banasiewicz (Mad Dog)

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

8/19/2015 8:50 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

Not quoting the essay, but that chart is height discriminitory. I have a 40" inseam and it doesn't list anything that size.

ticaleb wrote:

40" inseam? i'm 6'5" and my longest pants have a 36" inseam and are longer than they need to be. did you mean your waist? or are your legs a mile long? lol

No I seriously wear a 40" inseam. I'm 6'7" and have disproportionately long legs.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

8/19/2015 9:05 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

No I seriously wear a 40" inseam. I'm 6'7" and have disproportionately long legs.

lol god damn. no offense but you gotta look even more goofy than I do on these kid bikes haha

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

8/19/2015 9:07 PM

Never really noticed anything but peg clearance when i went from 175 to 170's. i think the rest of you saying it makes a world of difference are bugging out.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

8/20/2015 4:51 AM

I went from 175 to 165 since I had a set from my flat build. All truth, there really is much performance difference..I may be able to get more pop with the 175 but I havent put all to true test. Only reason I like the 165 is cause when pedaling, I dont dont have to bend/lift my leg so high... Im 6'4. I switch between different bikes daily depend on what I ride. Things I have noticed with the 165 is when doing certain things, my front foot slips out more.. Ill hit a high double peg and it'll slip forward off the pedal.. Ive ran 13inch ends with 175 and 4 pegs, I never hit the pegs but it seems most who ride my bike do. Spinning wise and all that, I dont feel any change .. Im tall as well so someone much shorter may benefit to a shorter cranks. Id like to try 170 as I think it would fit me well with what Ive experienced using 165/175..

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

8/20/2015 12:30 PM

Brokenbmx wrote:

Never really noticed anything but peg clearance when i went from 175 to 170's. i think the rest of you saying it makes a world of difference are bugging out.

I don't think it's a huge difference, but it is noticeable to me at least. But I think that's more because it makes the rotation circle bigger, so it feels like it takes more effort to pedal. Also depends on shoe size too. I wear 13's, so my shoe is almost as long as my cs. Haha. I ride 175's and don't hit the pegs very often anymore tho(don't run pegs all the time either), but probably would more with 180's

|

8/20/2015 12:35 PM

UPDATE: Bought a pair of what turned out to be 170mm from someone a few weeks back and finally had a chance to try them out today and it feels weird but overall ok, definitely better than the 165mm that i tried before

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/20/2015 1:31 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

UPDATE: Bought a pair of what turned out to be 170mm from someone a few weeks back and finally had a chance to try them out today and it feels weird but overall ok, definitely better than the 165mm that i tried before

Okay man, thanks for the info!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn