Cranks… 24mm & SD…. Eclat Channel

Related:
Create New Tag

5/24/2014 6:18 PM

So today when landing a flat hop over a pile of dirt my cranks 'folded up' on me. I assume they slipped as I can't find any damage now that I took them apart. It was nuts. Had to ride home like I was on a scooter, or on those flow pedals.

First time this has happened, it scared the shit out of me! Lucky it was a small hop, but I don't want to ride these cranks any longer as I don't trust them on a big drop. I would drop $150 to avoid a broken leg/foot/ankle any day. Im a heavy guy, about 195 lbs so I need something strong, and am willing to pay for the piece of mind.

I was running a set of stolen team cranks, I had them deadstock and boxed up for ages, so they were pretty new. I also run a spline drive Tree Sprocket which I love.

I want to add a 4th peg again so this is a good time to step down to 165-170mm cranks. I am also set on chrome. I don't want to change my sprocket specifically, but I am tempted by the 24mm FIT spline cranks and saw the Eclat 24mm spline drive sprocket on Dans.

I was also looking at the Profile SD cranks, I could keep my Tree sprocket with that setup..

Any feedback on either of these setups? Specifically people running the Fit Indents and Eclat Channel, or one/the other. Any suggestions on other choices?

Im not interested in going to 22mm, only 24mm if I am going to change my sprocket.

In short, I need chrome cranks, 19 or 24mm 48 SD, and short (165-170) Thanks for reading and any help!

|

Bike Check

Refs: ScramHype, bstick, and Brokenbmx

5/24/2014 7:07 PM

I have Fit Indent 24s and LOOOVEEE them, but I do believe the Èclat Onyxs are built better. Only advantage to Indents is the indented sides which are GREAT for crank arm grinds. You wont have a problem with either though! Both are amazing!

I would avoid the Channel sprocket though, 6061 = poopoo. All my experiences with 6061 sprockets were poor, teeth chipped, broke, and wore down super easy. I would get either the Fit Key or Keyguard spline drive which are made from a more durable 7075 alloy. Since you mentioned running pegs I assume you grind so the KeyGUARD would be the better option for you.

If it were me I would go...
Èclat Onyx 24mm + Fit Keyguard 24mm SD

Or if you do alot of crank arm grinds...
Fit Indent 24mm SD (2pc) + Fit Keyguard 24mm SD

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

5/24/2014 7:45 PM

I'm riding the Fit Indent 24s in 165mm.
They feel like sex.
Can't speak for the Channel, but the Key is a great sprocket. Running the SD version and love it.

|

HardBMX_Tim wrote: I welded a peg to my pedal so I could do pedal grinds. I would rather wear a teletubbies speedo than a shirt with the word "Bitches" on it, or even worse, "Swag".

5/24/2014 8:03 PM

I'm on Fit Bossless 24 indents 165mm, Fit Key Drive (sd) sprocket. I'm 100% satisfied with them so far. I've always been crazy over how my drive train feels and I'm finally satisfied completely.
I can't comment on the eclat, i do know they make quality parts, but the Fit 24s speak for themselves.

|

bikes destroy vlogs.

ref: slade_vincent, shutta, ecuadevil, theprophet, blackmammoth, sfb, element4all, bmx-junkie, kurtnut, nickg, jessebmx, dontDELETE, krbmx17, ninjacat, freddydapice, waanng, ivan, scramhype, motogrizz, tomdon, dream, hatebreeder, noendinsight666, asilva, wolfen, superstarDK, skubasteve, aebasher, many more.

5/24/2014 9:03 PM

I rate the indents pretty highly. I talked to tree before and they have said they can spline drive an OG or a lite sprocket before so that's an option

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

5/24/2014 9:09 PM

Gump wrote:

I rate the indents pretty highly. I talked to tree before and they have said they can spline drive an OG or a lite sprocket before so that's an option

Nah I asked Sam personally at the park a few months back and he said he has no plans of making 24mm SD sprockets. 22mm SD, Socket Drive, and 15/16" Bolt Drive Tree Lites are all available now however. I know before the 15/16" became available they did offer to bore their available sprockets to 15/16 to help out 24mm and Socket interface riders. Ill ask him once more next time im up at the park, but I dont believe anything has changed on that.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

5/24/2014 11:04 PM

Just baught some indent 24s for my next bike so excited

|

5/25/2014 12:16 AM

Ah my bad man. Must have been that they would do a 24mm hole not spline drive. Sorry man

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

5/25/2014 7:51 PM

OK, so I am leaning toward the Indent/Onyx and Key Guard… I really want 165mm cranks, which makes me go toward the Indents… but what is 5mm really going to matter?

Any other ideas/suggestions?

|

Bike Check

5/25/2014 8:02 PM

I'd go the Eclat's nice and stiff
as for sprocket get a tree og in Socket drive and you will be happy

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

5/25/2014 8:05 PM

jamiespadina wrote:

24mm 48spline and a Socket drive sprocket. I dont see what could go wrong.

|

5/25/2014 8:15 PM

jamiespadina wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

24mm 48spline and a Socket drive sprocket. I dont see what could go wrong.

Ahhhh shit i just picked up what went wrong their hahahaha sorry

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

5/25/2014 9:35 PM

LOL @ jamie. I was thinking things must work different down under!!

The more I think about it I want the 165mm Indents. The Onyx don't come shorter than 170. But then I think 5mm is not going to make much difference.

How is the adjustment from 175mm to 165mm? I never have run cranks that short?

I'm gonna throw my old Sputnic Playbacks on for tomorrow, having backup parts is so nice. Anyone interested in some used raw Stolen Teams?

|

Bike Check

5/25/2014 9:49 PM

I went from 175's to 170's two months ago so i could run a 4th peg and it worked perfectly. if your running 25/9 id suggest getting a 28 tooth with shorter cranks because you do lose a little power.if i were in your spot id go 170 Indents with a 28 Tooth Key Guard SD

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

5/26/2014 5:51 AM

Brokenbmx wrote:

I went from 175's to 170's two months ago so i could run a 4th peg and it worked perfectly. if your running 25/9 id suggest getting a 28 tooth with shorter cranks because you do lose a little power.if i were in your spot id go 170 Indents with a 28 Tooth Key Guard SD

Running 27/9 currently, will step it up to 28 if I get a new sprocket. I was running 30/10 before this and liked it.

BTW- Im still riding the 48h KHE Coaster I bought from you. Laced it to a Ribcage I found for $25 beans. Still rolling like a G.

Thanks for the suggestion

|

Bike Check

5/27/2014 11:53 AM

Here is a link to the photo I took right after. Has anyone else slipped a 48 spline?!?!

http://instagram.com/p/oeCMaduEyS/

|

Bike Check

5/27/2014 12:08 PM

I know someone who had that happen with Fit Indents quite a few times. I don't know if they were the 19mm or 24mm ones.

|

5/27/2014 12:12 PM

EatMyButt wrote:

Here is a link to the photo I took right after. Has anyone else slipped a 48 spline?!?!

http://instagram.com/p/oeCMaduEyS/

I see youre running a good amount of spacers, its possible you didn't have enough spindle in your crank arms so there just wasn't enough to hold them together straight under pressure.
Can you post a pic of the crank and spindle installed (with all those spacers) without the bolt? Then while youre at it, wiggle the cranks and see if there is any substantial wobble. A little bit is to be expected mind you.
It is possible that they have factory defects, BUT im really leaning towards user error on this.
I know ALOT of people ride those cranks and swear by them so I highly doubt this is a common issue. I doubt the crank arm spindle boss magically stretches out the way it would have to for this to happen to a properly machined and installed set without the splines wearing.

|

5/27/2014 2:28 PM

I'm running the 165mm Fit Bossless Indent cranks with the spline drive Key Guard set up and it has been great so far. They are very light and I've run the original Intents before and they were very strong.

I also went from 175mm to 165mm and I noticed it for the first 20 minutes and then it felt normal. I did notice that with 165mm I felt like I was standing a bit taller on my bike as it brings your feet in a bit closer.

Overall, I think that they are one of the best cranks on the market at the moment.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

5/27/2014 7:18 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I see youre running a good amount of spacers, its possible you didn't have enough spindle in your crank arms so there just wasn't enough to hold them together straight under pressure.
Can you post a pic of the crank and spindle installed (with all those spacers) without the bolt? Then while youre at it, wiggle the cranks and see if there is any substantial wobble. A little bit is to be expected mind you.
It is possible that they have factory defects, BUT im really leaning towards user error on this.
I know ALOT of people ride those cranks and swear by them so I highly doubt this is a common issue. I doubt the crank arm spindle boss magically stretches out the way it would have to for this to happen to a properly machined and installed set without the splines wearing.

Tim- Its already been disassembled and boxed up for sale. Im confident it was not due to the spacers. I use 2 drive side cones (the thin ones) and my cranks cleared my frame by less than 1/2 inch on each side. I could not even jam a finger in there.

Ive run a few sets of 48 spline cranks without this issue. It is weird. I can't even imagine too much grease could cause this?

|

Bike Check