Cranks and forks

Related:
Create New Tag

1/27/2019 1:19 AM

Hey guys, so I'm getting a list together of parts for my next build and it's going to be specifically for trails. I need some advice.

I'm looking to get a Steadfast and I want chrome forks. Would you recommend the Odyssey R32 or S&M widemouth with 33mm offset? I weigh around 250 so I need something solid. I know the R32's have a lifetime warranty so I'm leaning towards getting those. I've seen the Stampy video and based on all the threads the R32's are pretty bad ass and there's no negative comments. Do you know of anyone that has ever had issues with R32's? I know that some of you have had bad experiences with S&M products due to welds and I've seen pictures of broken forks. I'm assuming that either fork would be just fine just not sure if the offset of 1 mm would make a difference.

I also need to decide on 175mm cranks and there's so much to choose from. I have thunderbolts on my 22" and they're solid but want to get something different for this build. Profile columns, the new FIT blunts, and Demolition rigs are at the top of the list. Profiles and Demolition have lifetime warranty's which is nice but I like the new FIT's with the blunt investment cast design. I know that if I go with Profile, I'll need a spline drive sprocket. Thanks for all the input!

|

1/27/2019 1:59 AM

If you can find a Sunday Octave fork for cheaper, it is the same fork, same offset, with the same warranty as the R32.

|

1/27/2019 3:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/27/2019 3:06 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

If you can find a Sunday Octave fork for cheaper, it is the same fork, same offset, with the same warranty as the R32.

Yeah, can’t go wrong with R32’s or Octaves. I run octaves and love them. As far as cranks, if i wasn’t running thunderbolts I’d go with BSD substance XL. I love the look, and haven’t heard any bad reviews.

|

1/27/2019 3:28 AM

It's mandatory to have fbm cb4k's and profile cranks (and hubs) on a steadfast

|

1/27/2019 9:32 AM

All great suggestions and I wasn't aware that the Octaves were the same as the R32's. The BSD's are pretty rad, I like the 2.5 piece design.

|

1/27/2019 9:46 AM

Odyssey is marginally lighter and comes with a better warranty. Where’s the question?

|

1/27/2019 9:57 AM

I like them new FIT Blunts. Start at $159.95 with bottom bracket kit and free shipping in the US.

|

1/27/2019 10:09 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

CB4K's would make the most sense for this build. Do they have enough clearance for 2.4 tires? The R32's/Octave have plenty of clearance plus lighter. I think I can't go wrong with either. Definitely want to keep everything in the FBM, Profile, Odyssey family. I'll have profile hubs for sure!

|

1/27/2019 10:53 AM

odyssey forks . odyssey cranks.

|

1/27/2019 12:43 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

snippersnapperz wrote:

CB4K's would make the most sense for this build. Do they have enough clearance for 2.4 tires? The R32's/Octave have plenty of clearance plus lighter. I think I can't go wrong with either. Definitely want to keep everything in the FBM, Profile, Odyssey family. I'll have profile hubs for sure!

I doubt you'll get 2.4's in cb4k's. I've got fit faf 2.25 and it's fairly close. I guess it depends on the actual inflated width. But even regular pitchfork xlt's have more clearance. Get 2.25 fit faf's, that'll solve the problem

|

1/27/2019 1:25 PM

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, going with Thunderbolts from my 22" and R32's.

|

1/27/2019 3:04 PM

I have r32s on 3 of my bikes. I weigh 222lbs.

|

1/27/2019 3:56 PM

I run the r32 on my steadfast with odyssey caliber cranks. I do like the cranks and fork but will be moving over to profile cranks and s&m forks. What it comes down to for myself is the companies I want to support. I would rather have my money stay in the USA companies. You can’t go wrong either way just support the companies that support your kind of riding.

|

1/27/2019 8:02 PM

I would personally do r32 forks with profile columns and then get a 22mm spline drive sprocket. If you don’t want to go spline drive (why wouldn’t you?) then I would get the profile race cranks with a boss. Spline drive is awesome. You don’t have to worry about the sprocket bolt coming loose. Also, profile makes a sprocket/spindle adaptor for all their newer sprockets. Look into it.

|

1/27/2019 8:28 PM

NDP wrote:

I would personally do r32 forks with profile columns and then get a 22mm spline drive sprocket. If you don’t want to go spline drive (why wouldn’t you?) then I would get the profile race cranks with a boss. Spline drive is awesome. You don’t have to worry about the sprocket bolt coming loose. Also, profile makes a sprocket/spindle adaptor for all their newer sprockets. Look into it.

22mm spline drive has a history of incompatibility issues as apparently, some manufacturer(s?) decided to make the splines different on their cranks and sprockets to what we can only assume everyone else did. See: [link]

Just something to beware of.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/28/2019 12:12 AM

I'm running BSD Substance cranks and I'm loving them, look really nice

|

1/28/2019 3:44 AM

NDP wrote:

My personal experience is that spline drive is shit and I'd never waste my time with it ever again. Literally 5 minutes and first trick after putting a spline drive sprocket on I tapped the sprocket on a ledge, and it warped the insert hole enough that the sprocket wobbled.
Spline drive to me is like tripod seats, trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist (and is also very limiting). If people really didn't want bolt drive, bike companies could easily come up with a better interface.

|

2/1/2019 6:49 AM

Go with the r32 or octaves by far best forks in the game

|

11/10/2019 9:09 PM

I bought some odyssey R32 and tried to register my forks online but I was having issues with the website so I called them and they told me they didn’t require me to register them I just had to have a receipt but the only thing I have is a screenshot of the email confirmation when I bought them, is this true ? Do I really not need to register them even tho it states that I do I order to get lifetime warranty

|

11/11/2019 6:40 AM

_bmxican_ wrote:

I bought some odyssey R32 and tried to register my forks online but I was having issues with the website so I called them and they told me they didn’t require me to register them I just had to have a receipt but the only thing I have is a screenshot of the email confirmation when I bought them, is this true ? Do I really not need to register them even tho it states that I do I order to get lifetime warranty

Call back two or three times and see what you get each time....

I don't see why they'd require registration on a few SKUs, then not one another...

|

11/11/2019 7:18 AM

Forks: r32- best fork ever made, fork none
Cranks- odyssey thunderbolts or profile, both are great cranks. Odysseys are a little bit stronger but the profiles have spline drive which is really clean.

|

I like riding my bike.

11/11/2019 7:23 AM

_bmxican_ wrote:

If you bought them new online and just keep the email from the purchase confirmation, that has been enough for me. Just dont abuse them or try to take advantage of their excellent customer service. They are one of the best!

|