Cranks problem

Related:
Create New Tag

12/29/2014 5:42 PM

Alright so my crank bolt will not stay tight for more than about two sesh's. It's seriously starting to piss me off having to tighten my crank bolt constantly. What could I do to keep it on tight?

|

To grind, or not to grind?

12/29/2014 5:48 PM

Lock tight

|

12/29/2014 5:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/29/2014 5:54 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Lock tight

Use blue, not the red. If you use red you may never get that bolt out again.

|

Bike Check

Instagram @tkeck74

12/29/2014 6:13 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Lock tight

TKeck wrote:

Thanks guys

|

12/29/2014 7:01 PM

My Indent 24s do the same thing on the left side. Cant really diagnose the problem. Ive tried lotsa grease, tiny lick of grease, even no grease. Now i.just crank it down extra tight and it holds.for a few weeks.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/29/2014 8:06 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

My Indent 24s do the same thing on the left side. Cant really diagnose the problem. Ive tried lotsa grease, tiny lick of ...more

Same with my old Macneil Consplined to the point where I needed to tighten them every session . Lock Tight helped a bit but one day I got tired of and and cranked that bolt down and it never came loose again.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

12/29/2014 8:32 PM

The mystery of the loose crank bolt

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

12/29/2014 8:38 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

My Indent 24s do the same thing on the left side. Cant really diagnose the problem. Ive tried lotsa grease, tiny lick of ...more

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Same with my old Macneil Consplined to the point where I needed to tighten them every session . Lock Tight helped a bit but ...more

So... take a 12" crescent wrench and tighten it until it won't go any further?

|

12/29/2014 9:32 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Same with my old Macneil Consplined to the point where I needed to tighten them every session . Lock Tight helped a bit but ...more

Sketchy McGee wrote:

So... take a 12" crescent wrench and tighten it until it won't go any further?

No. Get loctite.

|

12/29/2014 9:54 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Lock tight

TKeck wrote:

probably a good thing you made the distinction hahaha

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

12/30/2014 7:25 PM

Mighty Putty.

|

12/30/2014 7:33 PM

I used to wrap tape around the bolt threads when this would happen. Fixed the problem.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

12/30/2014 7:52 PM

I'm surprised nobody suggested he diagnose this problem.

A lot of times if your cranks are constantly coming loose, there's more to it.

Do you have the internal BB spacer installed? The long tube spacer that goes in your BB shell in between the bearings.

Do you have enough spacers or too many spacers? Both crank arms should be at least 3/4 the way on the spindle. If they're not on enough they can wiggle themselves loose, or if they're on too much, the bolts can be bottoming out on the spindle causing it to not be able to be tightened properly.

Could be a stripped bolt or threads too.

Or your splines can be wearing out. Mine did that and I fixed it temporarily by wrapping plumber's tape around the spindle splines and bolt threads

Or it could just something else, in which case loc-tite may be your answer. Blue loc-tite to start with, but if that fails, then red loc-tite. I have to use red loc-tite on my Thunderbolt crank bolts, not sure why. Everything is installed properly and blue loc-tite only keeps it tight for a week or 2 tops before it comes loose again. Red loc-tite keeps it tight for a few weeks-couple months, but leaves shitty residue in there and can be difficult to remove. So only use that as a last resort

|

12/31/2014 10:16 AM

Try plumbers tape on the threads of the bolt? I've done that in a pinch. Otherwise blue loctite works pretty well, Mike suggested Mighty Putty, no personal experience, but it should work too.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura