Crankset Advice (NEEDED)

Related:
Create New Tag

7/29/2016 5:57 AM

I am looking to buy a 3 peice crankset, but my frame originally had a ball bearing style crank, with the casings inside etc. The crank space area is now empty, no casings, nothing in there. Will a 3 peice just fit right in or do i need casings or any plates etc?

|

7/29/2016 6:57 AM

|

It’s all bmx

7/29/2016 8:23 AM

Yep, sounds like you need a US bb. Although there were a few loose ball mid bb frames out there. Which you can't upgrade to sealed bearings with as there's no lip in the shell for the bearings to sit against. Measure the inside diameter of the shell. If it's 41mm, you're stuck (that will be mid). 51mm is US. Then you just need to get the right size for the axle of the cranks (so it would be a US bb, 19mm if the cranks you get have a 19mm axle)

|

7/29/2016 6:02 PM

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it. I will go measure it in a second. Will let you know what the diameter is. ☺

|

7/29/2016 6:14 PM

It is a 51 mm one. So can i get the 3 piece crankset with the sealed bearings or do i need a special bracket?

|

7/29/2016 8:37 PM

Jaydon_Benea wrote:

It is a 51 mm one. So can i get the 3 piece crankset with the sealed bearings or do i need a special bracket?

51mm is US. Then you just need to get the right size for the axle of the cranks (so it would be a US bb, 19mm if the cranks you get have a 19mm axle)

Should be good bro. Just gotta get the bottom bracket.

|

7/29/2016 10:24 PM

The sealed bearing doesn't go directly into the frame with US bb, it has an aluminium cup. But all you need to do is make sure it's US when you buy it. Any other bb won't fit. It will look like this

Photo

|