Creaking cranks annoying the living crap out of me

Related:
Create New Tag

9/24/2017 10:36 PM

I have kink pillar cranks which are a 2.5 piece crank so only one crank arm comes off. The crank started creaking so I took it off took out the spindle greased it all up and reassembled and the creaking was gone... FOR 2 DAYS! so I took the crank arm off greased it and put it back on, but the same result it only stopped the creaking for 2 days. So, I did it again and the creaking is back. What can I do to fix it???

|

9/24/2017 11:05 PM

raspberrytea wrote:

I have kink pillar cranks which are a 2.5 piece crank so only one crank arm comes off. The crank started creaking so I took it ...more

You mean 2 peice cranks? Whats the .5 for? Sorry to not help with your question but Im curious.

|

9/24/2017 11:49 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

You mean 2 peice cranks? Whats the .5 for? Sorry to not help with your question but Im curious.

2.5pc cranks are essentially 3pc cranks but the "fixed" crank arm slides onto the spindle (from the opposite side of the spindle it normally would) and rests against the edge of the spindle.

See the spindle in this photo, you'll see what I mean

[LINK TO IMAGE]

To answer your question, did you try taking the other arm off and greasing that side of the spindle? Also lube your chain and see if any of that helps

|

9/24/2017 11:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/24/2017 11:59 PM

raspberrytea wrote:

I have kink pillar cranks which are a 2.5 piece crank so only one crank arm comes off. The crank started creaking so I took it ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

2.5pc cranks are essentially 3pc cranks but the "fixed" crank arm slides onto the spindle (from the opposite side of the ...more

Hmmm, crazy. Never knew that existed. Thank you for answering my question.

|

9/25/2017 12:00 AM

raspberrytea wrote:

So you mentioned only one crank arm comes off. If the cranks are 2.5 and you havent popped off and greased both sides. That could be your problem right there.

|

9/25/2017 12:02 AM

raspberrytea wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

2.5pc cranks are essentially 3pc cranks but the "fixed" crank arm slides onto the spindle (from the opposite side of the ...more

Whoops, didnt see the second half of your post. Yes, I agree with him. Also what type of grease are you using?

|

9/25/2017 12:26 AM

Did you add the extra spacer to stop the bolt bottoming out?

|

9/25/2017 1:04 PM

I thought it was harder than that to take the second arm off so i didn't do it the first time...I took off both arms and greased everything up again. so far so good but only time will tell. if it starts up again in a few days then I'll bump this post

|

9/25/2017 2:34 PM

Try my bike smile

|

9/25/2017 3:52 PM

Pedals. Check the pedals.

I know it's unlikely given your situation, but you never know...

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

9/28/2017 9:36 AM

Yep, it came back
Now to address some of the posts
1. it is not the pedals took them off and was still able to get the sound by jumping on the cranks
2. I am using general purpose grease
3. it is not the chain I can make it click with the wheel locked/chain not moving
4.i have now tried to grease both sides of spindle- didn't help sad
5. I don't think my bolt is bottoming out but this one is hard for me to tell I have a spacer on both sides---see image below

Any ideas welcome, I have the fury of 10,000 snapping turtles at this point

the side with the large spacer is the side with the bolt

Photo

|

9/28/2017 10:45 AM

You should lube your chain once in a while. Lol

Ona different note, can you make a video showing the creak in action? Maybe that will help showcase the issue?

|

9/28/2017 11:11 AM

When your cranks are on and tight, take the spindle bolt out without taking the arm off and see how close your spindle is to the edge outside edge of the crankarm. If the spindle is basically flush (even) with the outside edge of the crank arm OR close enough to where your bolt literally cannot get tigher-put a small spacer between the arm and BB. That will help.

IF there is a decent amount of space, make sure your spindle is decently centered, and try again, and make sure you put a decent amount of grease in there, not just like a tiny bit. Do a thin layer on ALL PARTS that touch.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/28/2017 11:55 AM

is your BB spacer seated properly against the Bearings? Hence, its the proper length.

|

10/22/2017 3:14 PM

Bump! I am still having this problem here is a video to help understand what is happening

&feature=youtu.be

HELP! I can't stand it anymore

|

10/22/2017 7:58 PM

Are you using the correct internal spacer between BB bearings and could they be worn?

|

10/22/2017 8:24 PM

Is your chain too tight or stretched?

|

10/23/2017 5:57 AM

Chain lube would help with creaks-I have had dry chains creak like old doors and some that sound like a group of birds going bonkers.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura