Creaking noise help

Related:
Create New Tag

10/10/2017 2:16 PM

So I haven’t ridden in a month since I needed money to get a new stem but now that everything is on and fixed, there is a creaking noise coming from I think either the cranks, the back hub or my new chain-interlock v2. I need to know if it’s something I need to worry about or if I will be fine. The noise mainly comes when I carve or pull up but I have to be standing on the bike when I pull up for it to make the noise

|

10/10/2017 2:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/10/2017 2:18 PM

Prob the tires

|

10/10/2017 3:08 PM

A chain will usually creak a bit until it's bedded in. But, you could take your cranks and pedals off and grease the axle and pedal threads. If your hub is old you could need a new driver

|

10/10/2017 3:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/10/2017 3:38 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

A chain will usually creak a bit until it's bedded in. But, you could take your cranks and pedals off and grease the axle and ...more

Is it a problem if the driver is worn? It’s only mainly when I carve so that’s why i didn’t think it was that

|

10/10/2017 6:38 PM

My cranks needed regreasing a good clean and regrease should be good, check your pedals are tight too

|

10/10/2017 6:46 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

My cranks needed regreasing a good clean and regrease should be good, check your pedals are tight too

Will do, that’s what I think too and because it didn’t happen when I rode like a month ago but now it happens and when I hold my bike up and hit my back tire down pretty hard it makes a squiky noise that also didn’t used to happen

|

10/10/2017 8:38 PM

My bike is also making that noise but its usually when I pedal.I am really rough on my pedals. Snapped the animal Hamilton pedals the first week I had them and I finally order new ones the other day, hopefully the noise goes away but if not I'll regreas my cranks and everything.

|

10/10/2017 10:41 PM

Will_Foxhall wrote:

My bike is also making that noise but its usually when I pedal.I am really rough on my pedals. Snapped the animal Hamilton ...more

Ya but this is when I carve and some other things

|

10/10/2017 10:48 PM

Could be your spokes needing a bit more tension

|

10/11/2017 7:05 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Most likely because I don’t have a spoke tensioner anymore, would it be a problem to still ride while have then kinda loose

|

10/11/2017 9:32 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Joe Breslin wrote:

Most likely because I don’t have a spoke tensioner anymore, would it be a problem to still ride while have then kinda loose

Your wheel will buckle easier if you land dodgy. And it will progressively get worse. Give em a squeeze with your hand, there should be a little movement, but not much. And it'll probably squeak as you squeeze them

|

10/11/2017 10:18 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Joe Breslin wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Your wheel will buckle easier if you land dodgy. And it will progressively get worse. Give em a squeeze with your hand, there ...more

Ok, is it hard to to tighten them with a spoke wrench

|

10/11/2017 11:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/11/2017 11:59 AM

Joe Breslin wrote:

No, but be extra careful doing so. Evenly tighten them all the way around only doing a quarter turn or so at a time. Unless your wheel is out of true, keep the turns consistent throughout the whole wheel. Last thing you'd want is to un-true your wheel by unevenly turning spokes.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

10/11/2017 7:03 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Your wheel will buckle easier if you land dodgy. And it will progressively get worse. Give em a squeeze with your hand, there ...more

Joe Breslin wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

No, but be extra careful doing so. Evenly tighten them all the way around only doing a quarter turn or so at a time. Unless ...more

Is it possible that the creaking/ticking is coming from the back hub? What do I need to do f it’s coming from there bc when I carve I believe it’s coming from that sides bearing

|

10/11/2017 7:54 PM

Joe Breslin wrote:

Is it possible that the creaking/ticking is coming from the back hub? What do I need to do f it’s coming from there bc when I ...more

Right now, it sounds like you're describing a spokes issue mainly, but if anything, bad hubs usually make a popping noise when rolling, indicating blown bearings or broken internals. If you lift up the rear wheel and spin it and it makes no noise, it's likely spokes. If it does make noise when doing this, then it could definitely be the hub, and, in worst case, both the spokes and the hub.

|

@scootereyn

10/11/2017 9:17 PM

readybmxer wrote:

No, but be extra careful doing so. Evenly tighten them all the way around only doing a quarter turn or so at a time. Unless ...more

Joe Breslin wrote:

Is it possible that the creaking/ticking is coming from the back hub? What do I need to do f it’s coming from there bc when I ...more

readybmxer wrote:

Right now, it sounds like you're describing a spokes issue mainly, but if anything, bad hubs usually make a popping noise when ...more

It’s definitely not the hub then, do you know why it only makes the noise when I carve or pull up and put lots of pressure in it? It doesn’t make the sound if I’m holding the bike and hit the back end down

|

10/12/2017 12:33 AM

Joe Breslin wrote:

It’s definitely not the hub then, do you know why it only makes the noise when I carve or pull up and put lots of pressure in ...more

You've pretty much answered your own question. It's pressure.

When you lean slightly to turn the bike while riding, there's pressure on the tires which transfers to the spokes, causing the noise. When you preload your body to jump, there's pressure on the rear wheel before you leave the ground, also causing the noise.

When you drop the bike straight up and down, I think it's silent since spoke tension is altered from more sideways motions like under rotated 180 or 360 spins where the spokes are jolted in an unnatural way as opposed to up and down, like landing.

Pretty sure that all you needa do is tighten up the spokes.

|

@scootereyn

10/12/2017 6:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/12/2017 7:43 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Right now, it sounds like you're describing a spokes issue mainly, but if anything, bad hubs usually make a popping noise when ...more

Joe Breslin wrote:

It’s definitely not the hub then, do you know why it only makes the noise when I carve or pull up and put lots of pressure in ...more

readybmxer wrote:

You've pretty much answered your own question. It's pressure.

When you lean slightly to turn the bike while riding, there's ...more

Wow ok well thanks, I’ll get cracking on that after school then finally start riding again. if only a couple of spikes are loose, can I just quarter turn those ones until tight?

|