Creaking noise when pedaling

Related:
Create New Tag

4/5/2017 6:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2017 6:03 AM

My chain (a brand new halflink chain, got it installed last night) makes an obnoxious creaking noise when moving my cranks forward. the noise comes from my rear hub's sprocket. My question is, what the fuck do i do? i know for sure they arent my cranks or bb, like it's a brand new fucking chain! pissed off about this. What should i do?

|

4/5/2017 6:44 AM

It needs to stretch and bed in, or your driver is worn. Ride up a really steep hill, that'll stretch your chain. If it continues to make that noise after a couple of good rides, then your driver is worn

|

4/5/2017 11:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2017 11:02 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

It needs to stretch and bed in, or your driver is worn. Ride up a really steep hill, that'll stretch your chain. If it ...more

well i've had the same driver for 5 years now (the bike was made in 2012 and most of the parts are original) but it seems like it's in a pretty good shape, actually. i checked out my front sprocket too and the chain seems to smoothly go in place aswell. i don't want to risk ruining my chain or my sprockets. I also thought about getting a brand new sprocket. What are your thoughts on that? or should i just do what you said?
thanks

|

4/5/2017 12:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/6/2017 10:34 AM

All chains stretch over time, and they will eventually start to wear the teeth on the cogs. When you get a brand new chain on an old driver or sprocket it won't fit perfectly on the old teeth. Once your chain has stretched a bit it might be fine, but if the driver is worn that noise won't go away. Sprockets can last a little longer generally. But to put it into perspective, I wore out a ti profile driver in about 18months and didn't realise until I put a new chain on

|

4/5/2017 2:33 PM

180sarehard

I cringed

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/5/2017 3:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2017 3:19 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

180sarehard

I cringed

Wait 'till he finds out that usernames are permanent but bike skills improve. smile

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

4/5/2017 7:17 PM

180sarehard

I cringed

readybmxer wrote:

Wait 'till he finds out that usernames are permanent but bike skills improve. smile

"no bro I finally got 180s down months ago. That's just my username."

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

4/5/2017 9:37 PM

180sarehard

I cringed

readybmxer wrote:

GCBMX69 wrote:

"no bro I finally got 180s down months ago. That's just my username."

something like that

|

4/6/2017 7:22 AM

thank god you don't own a freecoaster then if you hate noise from your bike...

|

@Jewishlamb

4/6/2017 11:49 AM

Check your chain tension, it may be too tight. Some people say to have good slack in your chain but I disagree. I have mine tight as a coochie so that my engagement is instant. I think those people just want you to be like them. But your chain might just be too tight.

Check your sproket. Flip your bike over and crank your cranks with your hand. Observe how much lateral movement your sproket has. You may need to just do a simple adjustment down there.

Take apart your cranks and bb area. It might be a loose bearing or something became misaligned/loosened over time. Wipe old grime away and regrease everything.

I've had similar problems. I've managed to kinda force myself to "fuck around" with how my bike works and it's helped me save $ along the way because of an increased amount of first-hand understanding of what I'm dealing with. After riding I always check my bike for safety reasons.

|

4/6/2017 12:02 PM

JewishLamb wrote:

If your coaster's making any noise besides the 'pop' when it's wearing in, there's something wrong with it...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/6/2017 12:08 PM

JewishLamb wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

If your coaster's making any noise besides the 'pop' when it's wearing in, there's something wrong with it...

This.

Aside from cables bouncing a bit, my bike sounds like a basketball when dropped on the tires.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/6/2017 1:33 PM

My bike sounds like an angel, gently setting foot on a cloud for the first time. That's also how riding it makes me feel

|

4/6/2017 3:45 PM

chain is upside down or running the wrong way. happened to me years back when I got a shadow chain and it was noisy. The curved part of the links should hit your sprocket and the link shape should go from skinny to fat when you're standing up on your bike looking down at your sprocket

|

Dax in NYC
MD & Flatland rider