Crooked chainstays

Related:
Create New Tag

3/2/2018 12:43 PM

Hi guys!

I am under the impression that my chainstays are crooked.

First, when I tighten the nondrive side, I get this:
Photo

When I tighten the drive side as well, I put tension in the frame, and I don't think this is a good thing.

And when I look at the bike, with the wheel slammed, I see this:
Photo

Should I add a washer between the driver and the dropout to even it out?

What do you guys reckon?

|

3/2/2018 12:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/2/2018 12:51 PM

I would... & have on my bikes. I don't like my frame (or fork) being flexed. It just adds unnecessary stress. I'd drop a washer in to see how it looks afterwards. Your pictures make it look like the wheel is somewhat shifted to the left... is that correct? If so, I'd put the washer on the non-drive side to shift it over to the right.

|

3/2/2018 1:22 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I would... & have on my bikes. I don't like my frame (or fork) being flexed. It just adds unnecessary stress. I'd drop a ...more

That could just be a poorly dished wheel.

OP: That's a large amount of space, I'd say to split the difference between the two sides and put washers of the same thickness on either side.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/2/2018 1:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/2/2018 1:37 PM

It looks like the left side, from the pictures you posted, is the bent side; to my eye, at least.

Is it a hi ten frame?

My chainstays bent from learning 180's on my first frame.

Do you spin to your right?

|

3/2/2018 1:51 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I would... & have on my bikes. I don't like my frame (or fork) being flexed. It just adds unnecessary stress. I'd drop a ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

That could just be a poorly dished wheel.

OP: That's a large amount of space, I'd say to split the difference between the two ...more

yeah do that, washers should hopefully fix it. that’s quite a big gap...

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom

3/2/2018 4:34 PM

Looks like your wheel isn't dished. The gap between the tire & the chainstay on the left side of the pic looks smaller than the right side. Could also be the camera angle making it look so.

Doesn't seem like your dropout is sitting at a wrong angle like it would if it was bent. The spacing between the locknut and the drop out on each side of the axle look to be the same. Measure that to be sure.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/2/2018 7:48 PM

Take your wheel out and eyeball the dropouts to see if they're cockeyed. Sometimes they're welded crooked, makes tightening and basically everything a bitch.

|

3/2/2018 8:20 PM

Tighten that on the drive side then tighten non drive side and ride that thing hard and beat the hell out of it and see if it breaks

|

3/3/2018 12:04 AM

As others have said, your wheel is out of dish

|

3/3/2018 5:06 AM

Look at the ends of your Axle to tire on both sides. Looks off bro

|

3/3/2018 5:40 AM

Thanks for all the reply guys!

Yeah, I looked at my wheels, and all my rear wheels are out of dish, the drive side is caved in while the non-drive side sticks out.
I had them all made at my lbs, and they don't really do bmx stuff there, are more accustomed to multiple gears MTB stuff, so that could explain it - I guess that in MTB you need the wheel a little out of dish? Or it doesn't matter, and the wheels always need to be dead centered?
Is it time to find someone else to lace my wheels? laughing

Also I measured it, and yeah, I need 2mm washers on each side, that should fix it.

I took a pic without the wheel, and one with the wheel but a better angle (I think)
Photo

Photo

|

3/3/2018 5:42 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

It looks like the left side, from the pictures you posted, is the bent side; to my eye, at least.

Is it a hi ten frame?

My ...more

The frame is full chromoly, but it's an older Khe model.
I spin to my left side, but didn't do any spinning on this one laughing

|

3/3/2018 5:43 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

Yeah, I looked at my wheels, and all my rear wheels are out of dish, the drive side is caved ...more

Learn to build wheels yourself it's not that hard.
And the shop must be pretty pathetic or it just doesn't care about your wheels so yes if you can then take your bike somewhere else.

|

Hmmm

3/3/2018 5:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/3/2018 6:01 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

Yeah, I looked at my wheels, and all my rear wheels are out of dish, the drive side is caved ...more

99.9999% of the time, they should be centered. If I remember correctly, there are some cases in MTB and possibly road bikes where a wheel is supposed to be built offset, eg. asymmetrical rims. I'd imagine they're few and far between though and anyway, unless otherwise specified, all wheels should be built centered. Anything else is just poor building...

I'd also say to learn to build your own wheels. It's one of the most enjoyable parts of bike maintenance when you get good at it and a very useful skill.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/3/2018 6:01 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Is it a hi ten frame?

My ...more

am-shaegar wrote:

The frame is full chromoly, but it's an older Khe model.
I spin to my left side, but didn't do any spinning on this one laughing

Ya it was the angle of the shot. They dont look crooked anymore. Glad things are getting figured, for you!

|

3/3/2018 10:20 AM

100% all wheels should be dished central. You get offset flanges in all types of cycling, but the rim should be in the centre.

|

3/3/2018 11:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/3/2018 11:23 AM

If you really need that many washers, something must be bent as well as your wheel being built poorly. Maybe it is just the wheel though. Try a friends and see how it fits.

|

3/3/2018 11:12 AM

|

3/3/2018 11:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/3/2018 11:26 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

100% all wheels should be dished central. You get offset flanges in all types of cycling, but the rim should be in the centre. ...more

You'd know better than I would, I haven't done much with MTB or road wheels. I had a sneaking suspicion that was the case but I couldn't remember if it applied to asymmetrical rims and the likes as I've never dealt with them. Thanks! smile

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

3/3/2018 5:30 PM

|